Doctors: Ted Kennedy has malignant brain tumor

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -- U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy has a malignant brain tumor, doctors treating him at Massachusetts General Hospital said Tuesday.

Kennedy, 76, was hospitalized Saturday morning after suffering a seizure at his family's compound at Hyannisport, Massachusetts.

"Preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal lobe," according to a hospital statement.

Malignant glioma is the most common primary brain tumor, accounting for more than half of the 18,000 primary malignant brain tumors diagnosed each year in the United States, according to the National Cancer Institute.

A tumor in that area of the brain could affect Kennedy's ability to speak and understand speech, as well as the strength on the right side of his body, CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta said.

The parietal lobes are also responsible for interpreting signals from parts of the brain that focus on vision, hearing, motor skills, sensory input and memory, according to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons.

The usual course of treatment for Kennedy's type of tumor includes radiation and chemotherapy, said Dr. Lee Schwamm, vice chairman of the Department of Neurology at Massachusetts General Hospital, and Dr. Larry Ronan, primary care physician.

Doctors said Kennedy would remain in the hospital for the next few days while they determine a proper course of treatment.

Friends and colleagues who spoke to Kennedy since he was hospitalized Saturday said he was alert and in good spirits.

As politicians across party lines reflected on Kennedy's contributions to the U.S. Senate, where he has represented Massachusetts since 1962, many cited his fighting spirit.

"Everybody needs to pull for him and his family and remember this guy is one unbelievable fighter," Kerry said. "He is determined to fight this because he wants to continue to fight for the people of Massachusetts. He wants to continue fighting for the things he believes here in the U.S. Senate."

Sen. Barack Obama, the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination, described Kennedy as a "giant" of the Senate.

"I think you can argue that I would not be sitting here as a presidential candidate had it not been for some of the battles that Ted Kennedy has fought," Obama told CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

"He is somebody who battled for voting rights and civil rights when I was a child. I stand on his shoulders," said Obama, who was waiting for the results of primaries in Kentucky on Tuesday.

Sen. Hillary Clinton, who is also competing for the Democratic nomination, said Kennedy's courage and resolve made him one of the greatest legislators in Senate history.

"He's a fighter. There isn't anybody like him who gets up and goes out and does battle on behalf of all of us every single day," Clinton said Thursday. "I know he's a fighter when it comes to the challenges he's facing right now."

Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican who is the GOP's presumptive presidential nominee, also offered his thoughts and prayers for Kennedy's family.

"I have described Ted Kennedy as the last lion in the Senate. And I have held that view because he remains the single most effective member of the Senate," McCain said from his campaign bus, the Straight Talk Express, in Florida. Video Watch McCain discuss Kennedy's contributions to the U.S. Senate »

President Bush said in a statement that he was saddened by the news and would keep the senator in his prayers.

"Laura and I are concerned to learn of our friend Sen. Kennedy's diagnosis. Ted Kennedy is a man of tremendous courage, remarkable strength and powerful spirit. Our thoughts are with Sen. Kennedy and his family during this difficult period," he said.

Kennedy had surgery in October to clear his carotid artery in hopes of preventing a stroke. But, in recent days, the powerful Democrat appeared in fine health.

On Friday, he took part in a ribbon-cutting ceremony for a maritime learning center in New Bedford, Massachusetts.

He suffers chronic back pain from injuries suffered in a plane crash in 1964.

Kennedy is one of only six senators in U.S. history to serve more than 40 years. He is known as a liberal champion of social issues such as health care, family leave and the minimum wage.

Senate Democrats and Republicans were in their weekly closed policy lunches in the Capitol when news of Kennedy's diagnosis broke.

"Ted Kennedy has spent his life caring for those in need. Now it's time for those who love Ted and his family to care for them and join in prayer to give them strength," Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Illinois, a close friend of Kennedy's, said in a statement.

Doctors: Ted Kennedy has malignant brain tumor - CNN.com

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

This isn't looking good for Ted Kennedy but hopefully with all these proper treatments he is getting will help in the long run.

Here Tv with all channels news about him! so I am prayer for him.. He is good spirit now!:)

My Daddy and Ted were good friend and he went to my daddy's wake and funeral too :) :ily: Ted!

Yeah It is truly sad to hear the devastating news about Ted's illness. My thought goes out to him and his family.

Edward Kennedy has brain tumour
BBC NEWS | Americas | Edward Kennedy has brain tumour

Ted Kennedy fights for life as doctors say he has brain tumour
Ted Kennedy fights for life as doctors say he has brain tumour | Mail Online

Senator Edward Kennedy has brain cancer
Senator Edward Kennedy has brain cancer - Telegraph

US Senator has brain cancer
US Senator Edward Kennedy diagnosed with brain tumour | The Sun |HomePage|News

Edward Kennedy Has Brain Tumour
Edward Kennedy: Senator Diagnosed With Brain Tumour After Seizure |Sky News|World News

im been history sezuire for my lifes and im using medicines every morning and night its so important for me because i got collaspe sezuire at ages 12 years old that why

im hope Sen. Ted Kennedy would getting recovery very soon or he will still in hospital for get more test.

Another tragic stories of the Kennedys. Wonder when will that last.....

Doubt he can pull through this, though.

Here Tv with all channels news about him! so I am prayer for him.. He is good spirit now!:)

My Daddy and Ted were good friend and he went to my daddy's wake and funeral too :) :ily: Ted!

Do you remember that Ted was a really big reason that ADA passed. He worked his but off for it and for minumum wage, and equal rights plus hundreds of other things that were for the people... I feel very sad, and I have no idea how to fill his spot. Please pray for his family. He deserves it.. Especially everyone that benefited from the ADA.

The Kenedy family has hurt from some really tragic things over the years, and yet they have still fought for the rights of the little guy.

Even when he fought for the rights of women, it was not FOR abortion, but AGAINST having the government in our bedrooms etc. You can call him too liberal, but our country was built on freedom, and if you take one freedom away you will eventually lose all freedom.

I am sorry to hear about this and hope everything goes successful for him.

I am the Kennedy´s fan and enjoy to read their history.

At least he got to live to a ripe old age, which is more than poor Mary Jo Kopechne ever got to do.

At least he got to live to a ripe old age, which is more than poor Mary Jo Kopechne ever got to do.

Well, whatever....we all make mistakes, Reba.
Im sure he has asked God for forgiveness.
Forget the past.
He needs our thoughts and prayers!

Time for him to retire from senate. He is not going to live that much longer. Sad for him and his family.

I am not a Kennedy fan, but I think this was a bit harsh. Dying from cancer is not an easy way to go; especially dying from brain cancer.

Forget the past.
He needs our thoughts and prayers!

Correct...

What and how he did is belongs PAST...

Honestly Ted won't live that long. My friend's hubby was told by one of his doctors at the hospital (where Ted was staying recently) that he has two years to live. Well he is gone now. He passed away a two months later (after he was first diagnosed by the doctor). Ted is one of the most political icons of all.

By the way Liebling, I am a dog die hard lover, Where did you get the clip art of the dog sniffing faces? Oh doh ... it is at http://go.to/funpic *eyes rolled* bop my head.

Do you remember that Ted was a really big reason that ADA passed. He worked his but off for it and for minumum wage, and equal rights plus hundreds of other things that were for the people... I feel very sad, and I have no idea how to fill his spot. Please pray for his family. He deserves it.. Especially everyone that benefited from the ADA.

The Kenedy family has hurt from some really tragic things over the years, and yet they have still fought for the rights of the little guy.

Even when he fought for the rights of women, it was not FOR abortion, but AGAINST having the government in our bedrooms etc. You can call him too liberal, but our country was built on freedom, and if you take one freedom away you will eventually lose all freedom.

Really Cool!! I didn't know..... My dad passed away when i was 12 years old.. I am only saw him at wake and church!

Nice of him passed the ADA :shock: maybe Ted learned about deaf from my daddy?? :dunno2: cuz i have deaf brother and two deaf cousins too :D

I have pictures of Ted and my dad at resaturated and My brother have their pictures at Golf Course :D

Honestly Ted won't live that long. My friend's hubby was told by one of his doctors at the hospital (where Ted was staying recently) that he has two years to live. Well he is gone now. He passed away a two months later (after he was first diagnosed by the doctor). Ted is one of the most political icons of all.

By the way Liebling, I am a dog die hard lover, Where did you get the clip art of the dog sniffing faces? Oh doh ... it is at http://go.to/funpic *eyes rolled* bop my head.

I'm afraid you're right. Prognosis is said to be a year, but it could be less than that; especially if the tumor is inoperable.

I doubt it. He never accepted responsibility for her death.

Causing someone to die is more than a "mistake."

Forget the past.
If she were your daughter could you say that? Just "forget" it? She died young, and he lived until old age. He was never punished for the crime.

Back