Doctor's office refused to provide interpreter!!!

Your kidding right?

Many bosses or owners (I am not saying all) are coward and get their secretaries or employers do dirty job, make excuses or deny the customers, etc. for them.

As what Lucia described that the Receptionist refused to make a new appointment for her and deny her to face doctor sound something fishy to me.

The Receptionist or Secretary doing their job on their bosses's behalf. The Receptionists or Secretary will get in trouble for deny to make a new apppointment without doctor's behalf if the doctor or boss found out.

I would advise Lucia to look for another doctor.

We have similar problem here as well... Our boss asked us to find any excuse for him to deal with the customers sometimes... something like that, "he is not here - you will get next appointment soon... until or cancel the appointment... Oh well... I know that we are not alone but many secretaries and Receptionists doing their job on their bosses's behalf.

Many bosses or owners (I am not saying all) are coward and get their secretaries or employers do dirty job, make excuses or deny the customers, etc. for them.

As what Lucia described that the Receptionist refused to make a new appointment for her and deny her to face doctor sound something fishy to me.

The Receptionist or Secretary doing their job on their bosses's behalf. The Receptionists or Secretary will get in trouble for deny to make a new apppointment without doctor's behalf if the doctor or boss found out.

I would advise Lucia to look for another doctor.

We have similar problem here as well... Our boss asked us to find any excuse for him to deal with the customers sometimes... something like that, "he is not here - you will get next appointment soon... until or cancel the appointment... Oh well... I know that we are not alone but many secretaries and Receptionists doing their job on their bosses's behalf.

I had my Ob/Gyn doctor over twenty years, we struggled to get an interpreter because she thinks writing on the notes will be helpful. I said, Hello.... medical terms can cause misunderstand each other. I decided to switch to a new OB/Gyn doctor few months ago because they willing to request an interpreter anytime I had the appointments with them. I am so happy with new doctor for a better communication accessible to make sure what the procedure would be next.

It doesnt matter WHO broke the law in the doctors office- regardless of his/her postition-

when they're on the job- its the doctor's responsiblity to make sure his/her employees are following the law- they are representing the doctor's business and helping run it-

the doctor is at fault too under the eyes of the law

-cheers

ADA - Doctors

You should explore the NAD, National Association of the Deaf, home page, home, deaf - National Association of the Deaf website. There it will explain many of your rights that you are entitled to under the ADA. You can also print that off and fax it/ give it to your Doctor (lawyer, etc..) and at the same time you request an interpreter to be at your next appointment. If they still refuse, then file a formal complaint with the Department of Justice (DOJ) under Title III of the ADA 'effective communication public accomodation'. It may take a long time to get results... 4-6 months has been my experience... but the point is not to let them get away with treating Deaf like second class citizens! Usually what happens after the complaint is DOJ will set-up a time to 'mediate' between you and whomever you are complaining about. Often, the Doctor/Lawyer will see that just spending this much time away from the office... 1-3 days to mediate... it would be cheaper just to get the interpreter. You have to stand up for your rights to at least make it easier for the next Deaf person who comes into their office... they will know exactly what is required of them under the law.

Hope this helps!

I agreed with most of you that what receptionist did was abhorrent but not illegal. Like restaurants, they can refuse to serve the customers. Doctors can refuse to treat you (as long as it's nothing discriminant - race/gender/etc.) and non-emergency. Obviously - you need to seek another doctor because that doctor is not interested in treating patients. He's just worried about protecting his ass.

I somehow understand the doctor's concern because there could be a miscommunication in pen-paper and he would be held liable. I know it's silly when you simply want a med refill but doctors are constantly under duress every single day because he can easily get sued for anything. That's why doctors are dreading about very high malpractice insurance costs that they have to pay. There's article from CNN relating to your situation. You did right thing by ripping him a new ass - file a complaint with ADA and everybody.

I recently went to see doctor. I have an interpreter with me. Nothing is wrong here in Texas.

What did I do? I gave to the office the business card of terp agency to contact. They call it to make the appointment.

I recently went to see doctor. I have an interpreter with me. Nothing is wrong here in Texas.

What did I do? I gave to the office the business card of terp agency to contact. They call it to make the appointment.

I DID provide the names and numbers of 3 interpreting agengies here in San Antonio and told them they could choose which one they want to use. I was as helpful as much as possible and they still refused. They just didn't want to fork over money for an interpreter, period. But it was two years ago and old news and we are starting to see more cooperation from more doctors now than before. So it is a little better now than two years ago.

And maybe where you live, nothing is wrong. But I am in San Antonio. Texas is a very LARGE state, remember? I'm not sure but I think you live in Dallas. That's far north Texas. Here it is different. It varies from city to city, I think.

Something like this happend to me a few weeks ago. I went to emergancy room cause it was late at night and I couldnt get in to see my gp. This happend about a week after my CI operation I was stone deaf and I was in fear that my incision was infected ( my ear swelled up and was on fire and was bright red). I got into the room and the nurse came in to get the preworkup done yanno blood pressure and such and asked me what I was there for.. no probs with her. Bu tthen the "DR" came in and was talking to me while she was behind me looking at my incision, I couldnt understand her and told her to be in my sight. I was having trouble reading her lips and requested her to write to me. She declined to write to me and proceeded to ask my family member with me questions that SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ASKING ME! I was livid. She left the room and then the other lady came back in to give me antibios and I said..... " I would like for you to tell the DR that her level of care is unprofessional Us Deaffies have to deal with sort of shit everyday and we dont need to have to deal with it when we are being seen for our health. She was totally understanding.. I cannot believe they were so rude and wouldnt even take 3 mins to write down answers to my questions., Oddly enough there was a dry erase board with nothing on it on the wall in my room ....

I have had problems when trying to get a new doctor. Because I used the relay they knew I was deaf. They told they were not acepting new patients. When my hearing ex called them they were accepting new patients !! That story made the local radio news . I found another doc but would not trust a doc that turns away deaf or refuses to use a terp. They could be forced to hire a terp but would you really feel safe with them? Not me, sue them then leave them

I DID provide the names and numbers of 3 interpreting agengies here in San Antonio and told them they could choose which one they want to use. I was as helpful as much as possible and they still refused. They just didn't want to fork over money for an interpreter, period. But it was two years ago and old news and we are starting to see more cooperation from more doctors now than before. So it is a little better now than two years ago.

And maybe where you live, nothing is wrong. But I am in San Antonio. Texas is a very LARGE state, remember? I'm not sure but I think you live in Dallas. That's far north Texas. Here it is different. It varies from city to city, I think.

Technical... I'm not in Dallas. But yeah, you're closer right. Dallas is well wide know, thank to Deaf Action Center. It led all hospital to aware of law that certain people is required for an interpreter. You need to go to the office that's similar as Deaf Action Center where they have provide to give better explain on why we need an interpreter.

LuciaDisturbed,

I did not read the whole posts under your thread. There's numerous of deaf individuals who filed complaint with the states and medical boards that they did not meet the ADA requirements by provide the sign language interpreter for Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals. Not just that condition - consider about the other situation. We dont know whether if the previous patients "sued" the hospitial/doctors for not provide sign language interpreter, and they didnt want to held liability.

I work for a company as contract related with video remote interpreting. Based on my intense research. I was very surprised to find out the Texas is the number one states who is screaming for more interpreters to interpret for their clients/customers/students at some community college / in medical settings field, and others.

It's not easy to say - you might want to choose different doctor? who have a better understanding about deaf patients?

Today I went to my doctor's office and when I got there they refused to see me. They said they can't provide an interpreter for me and then I offered to use paper and pen (I was out of meds and needed new scripts NOW) and they still refused to see me. They told me that it is the law and that they are not certified to WRITE BACK AND FORTH. WTF?! And they refused to get an interpreter...I asked for an interpreter months ago when I called ahead to make an appointment!!! The lady was so rude to me and she took the paper and tore up the paper I was writing on and said "this conversation is over, end of discussion" and had an attitude and everything. Her behavior was so unprofessional!!! She told me to go somewhere else. I was so upset and when I left the office I went on my Sidekick 3 and told my fiance everything what happened. My fiance's boss just happens to deal with ADA laws and so my fiance told his boss everything and she called the doctor's office and took of the whole mess. Now I just have to call the AMA (American Medical Association) and see about getting that bitch fired. Her behavior was very unprofessional!
tell me more about this, "They told me that it is the law and that they are not certified to WRITE BACK AND FORTH." That law might be in the ADA. Right?

I see this is from 2007.

I have never heard of HIPPA being invoked against a patient inside a Dr's Office for writing with pen, pencil etc on paper. We usually broke out the ledger pad and something to write with if needed to. I remember last july my Eye surgeon was not willing to take mask down to speak due to covid problems that time. So we wrote back and forth until I understood what is going to happen (Surgery, lens replacement etc) No problems. His practice replaced the old style optics with the new computer driven machines that makes alot of back and forth go away. Now the staff just point and hold up a hand to hold still. Most of it is normal human to human gesturing not anything that would be considered sign language the purpose is the same. Stay there with the eye on the viewer etc. Or go there to that chair (Point etc)

Things get rather interesting in Recovery at the hospital or any place after surgery and the people there get creative. And sometimes deliberately way too funny after discovering that dark medical humor is one of my favorite activities. "Sir!!! We have DR BLADES coming to cut this problem."

OMG!!! hahahaha etc. The drugs make it difficult at times but thats not the time for quality socializing anyway. It hurts too much.

In Arkansas we have communicated a few times with the State Medical Board who takes care of specific incidents or complaints against anyone (By Name and role and what that person did wrong etc) if there is a case it goes to State Review for prosecution or action. I have involved the Board in the past for a variety of reasons. Usually a failure to make sure that certain medicines are not to be used and I get a reaction after which is pretty dangerous. So the Board knows to go after so and so who put it in there.

Wow! Not required to write using pen and paper? What is she, trippin'?

Hope she gets fired and hope u are there the day she gets fired to say "Hope that teaches u a lesson on sensitivity!"
if you look deep enough in ADA, you'll find that note writers needs to be certified . Your notes will hold them accountable . like, we'll buy you a new car if we don't get you an appointment in two weeks, 14 full days . when you don't get that appointment , you take them to court and they get you that car cause they %#&@ up. you'll have proof they said that. thats the meaning of certified note taker.

I agreed with most of you that what receptionist did was abhorrent but not illegal. Like restaurants, they can refuse to serve the customers. Doctors can refuse to treat you (as long as it's nothing discriminant - race/gender/etc.) and non-emergency. Obviously - you need to seek another doctor because that doctor is not interested in treating patients. He's just worried about protecting his ass.

I somehow understand the doctor's concern because there could be a miscommunication in pen-paper and he would be held liable. I know it's silly when you simply want a med refill but doctors are constantly under duress every single day because he can easily get sued for anything. That's why doctors are dreading about very high malpractice insurance costs that they have to pay. There's article from CNN relating to your situation. You did right thing by ripping him a new ass - file a complaint with ADA and everybody.
My medicines in refills fall under the State. Narcotics in particular and two other classes associated and regulated very closely because of narcotics.

I stay with one doctor always. Might be 20 years before they retire and I find another one. But you cannot replace those doctors who have gotten used to me in the office.

The State has requirements on everyone. The Doctors, the Pharmacy, the nurses in particular (Those I instantly know who do not want to deal with me. I have the charge nurse make the personal changes so we have nurses who want to have my company as a deaf or HOH. They actually know a little more sign language when I get through with the stay. Thats for the next deaf for next time. Maybe even me.

Its worse now because of the so called drug war and the pain mills where you used to drive across the USA, Those days are gone now. Poof. The other side of it is you can now use oils legally to replace what you needed to with pills and all the things with doctoring. ITs expensive. SO you walk way from all that and use the new oils. Which is not legal everywhere just yet for obvious reasons.

that not right,LuciaDisturbed but that disrespectful!

but you must approve bring paper and pens write to doctors without interpreter! oh my gosh!

i have no problems myself but my mom can interpreter for me at doctor's offices more reasons but i dont need professional interpreter! but i can doit but i would can communicate with doctors with paper and pens what doctors would says! but my mom is not pro interpreter! so my mom is nurse for CCU

you would fighting for bring down to interpreter and dont listen to secretary,whatevers but you can assit for that but you would ingore to secretary for godsakes!

IF im going to doctor's,Dentist's office and i dont need interpreter i can bring paper and pen with us and you dont need interpreter for appt what you wanted it that your choice! but i can doit so my doctors always nice and can paper and write to me and dont need interpreter for me that discuss!

you can doit what you wanted they you can called interpreter for appt that your choice i dont blame you.
I think the ADA states certified staff can write notes.

The same thing happened to me last week. I moved to a new area so had to look for a new doctor for my baby who was so sick. Not only they refused to provide an interpreter (BUT they do provide Spanish translators) because the doctor told the nurse to tell me that using an intepreter was "my problem, not his so he REFUSE to get or pay for one" - I didn't have time to look for another doctor so I had to go ahead and make an appointment because my baby was getting sicker by the minute. When I showed up for the appointment, they turned me and my baby AWAY because the doctor was "not comfortable with Deaf people." 'To add salt to this wound, the woman at the front desk asked me if my own mother would be willing to come and take my place!

I filed and faxed a complaint form with the Attorney General's Office THAT DAY but still feel I didn't do enough. My poor baby was sick - and I had to take her to the emergency room to get treatment.

This doctor needs his medical license revoked immediately. It's not even about me - this is about turning away a sick child.
docs have to provide. attorney General are too busy with the handicap access. they'll put you on the backburner probably for 100 years

I think you are right. But I wonder if the doctor was unethical because refused to see her. And maybe unethical if no "reasonable accomodation" like the ADA for better relationship and communication with a deaf/HoH patient.

Health Care Delivery and and Deaf People: Practice, Problems, and Recommendations for Change (Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, Vol 4, 73-110) is a fascinating article I think.

Some quotes from the article: "Recent surveys of practicing physicians have demonstrated an extraordinary level of ignorance about the act (ADA) and the doctor's obligations under this legislation. All of the 165 physicians surveyed at a recent conference "displayed ignorance about their legal obligations under the" act to their deaf clients. -

During their medical education, physicians typically receive training on the pathology of hearing loss and, as a result, tend to medicalize deaf patients in a way that can be interpreted as paternalistic. These perspectives can interfere with the physician's ability to perceive their deaf consumers as healthy and well-adjusted human beings. "Because of their views of Deaf people as 'disabled,' the medical practitioner often deals with them in a condescending manner that betrays their inherent belief that 'deaf and dumb' is not a misnomer." -

During their medical education, few doctors receive training around communication or cultural issues with deaf individuals. Ebert and Heckerling (1995) conducted a survey of 102 internal medicine physicians at one university medical center to examine their understanding of the communication needs of their d/hoh patients. All respondents stated that they needed to spend more time and effort when working with d/hoh patients. Thirty-seven percent believed that writing notes or speechreading offered the best ways to communicate with deaf patients. Forty-one percent of those surveyed said they relied on writing notes for their deaf patients more than half of the time. Only 19% regularly employed an interpreter. Remaining physicians used speechreading, gestures, or asked family members to interpret for the patient. In a survey of 165 doctors, the majority stated they had difficulty communicating with and understanding their deaf clients. Finally, in a survey of 87 deaf people, 60% of whom were prelingually deaf, 59% stated they understood their doctor "sometimes" or "not at all." The patients also noted their health care providers often wrote illegibly or wrote notes that were beyond their literacy level. -

The use of a sign language interpreter is often the only way nonsigning individuals can communicate with deaf people. However, health care providers have historically been resistant to the necessity of employing and using these professional, despite the Disability Act and other laws that mandate use of an interpreter under certain situations.
"

After reading the thread and article I think all deaf/HoH need to know their rights about health care because maybe your doctor doesn't know or care (my dad is a doctor and I like my doctors so I don't mean all doctors are bad). We must protect our health and get good care and respect from doctors.
getting 5,000 protesters at the office might be the only choice. docs might change their minds when they lose customers and stock values then they won't be able to pay the staff or office space..

Back