Doctor's office refused to provide interpreter!!!

Oh my dear!

What a sucker :( *shake my head disgusit*

The same thing happened to me last week. I moved to a new area so had to look for a new doctor for my baby who was so sick. Not only they refused to provide an interpreter (BUT they do provide Spanish translators) because the doctor told the nurse to tell me that using an intepreter was "my problem, not his so he REFUSE to get or pay for one" - I didn't have time to look for another doctor so I had to go ahead and make an appointment because my baby was getting sicker by the minute. When I showed up for the appointment, they turned me and my baby AWAY because the doctor was "not comfortable with Deaf people." 'To add salt to this wound, the woman at the front desk asked me if my own mother would be willing to come and take my place!

I filed and faxed a complaint form with the Attorney General's Office THAT DAY but still feel I didn't do enough. My poor baby was sick - and I had to take her to the emergency room to get treatment.

This doctor needs his medical license revoked immediately. It's not even about me - this is about turning away a sick child.

Holy drat!, just totally stupid, the reps should follow the ADA laws.

My same doctor transferred to other new job in few years ago, I joined new Park Nicollet Clinic (PNC) provider with same doctor, the reps very nice to get an interpreter while setting up an appts. I like PNC, I told my same doctor "Pls don't quit this PNC job and I want you to stay on PNC job", my doctor says "Like PNC very much", I am calling my PNC to set up an appt for blood lab to check up my chorestol test results and even medic transportation too (Northland STS Bus). I must go to clinic every 6 months for check up of my chorestol level.

The same thing happened to me last week. I moved to a new area so had to look for a new doctor for my baby who was so sick. Not only they refused to provide an interpreter (BUT they do provide Spanish translators) because the doctor told the nurse to tell me that using an intepreter was "my problem, not his so he REFUSE to get or pay for one" - I didn't have time to look for another doctor so I had to go ahead and make an appointment because my baby was getting sicker by the minute. When I showed up for the appointment, they turned me and my baby AWAY because the doctor was "not comfortable with Deaf people." 'To add salt to this wound, the woman at the front desk asked me if my own mother would be willing to come and take my place!

I filed and faxed a complaint form with the Attorney General's Office THAT DAY but still feel I didn't do enough. My poor baby was sick - and I had to take her to the emergency room to get treatment.

This doctor needs his medical license revoked immediately. It's not even about me - this is about turning away a sick child.
That's awful! I would also report that doctor to the AMA and to the press. :mad:

Oh my dear... It's really sucker when anyone are ignorant when you need the interpreter to help you to understand... Doctor? *shake my head*.

Hi, Lucia:

I showed my dad your thread. He is a doctor. He was so angry at your doctor! He wrote a letter for me to give to any doctor. The letter explains the ADA. Please - anyone who wants the letter - copy and paste into Word to print for yourself.

HTH.

My dad's letter:

----

Dear physician or other health care professional:

Thank you for agreeing to see me today to discuss my medical concerns. In order to have an effective conversation and meaningful patient-doctor relationship, I need to inform you that I am deaf.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, a doctor’s office must make “reasonable accommodations” to ensure “effective communication” with to the deaf and people with other disabilities. This law applies regardless of the number of employees in the doctor’s office.

The most effective means for us to communicate would be to use a professional interpreter. A professional interpreter will facilitate an outstanding level of patient-doctor communication and ensure that our visit is as productive as possible, with little time wasted with poor communication.

The ADA does allow for other means of communication such as the use of pen and paper. For an uncomplicated, routine office visit, pen and paper may be adequate. Unfortunately, pen and paper communication is not nearly as efficient and effective as a qualified interpreter.
The AMA has an informative article on its website (AMA - American Medical Association Home Page) entitled: Americans with Disabilities Act and Hearing Interpreters. In it the AMA notes:

Although the health care professional makes the final decision regarding use of an interpreter or other alternative, the patient's choice should be given primary consideration. Also, the reasonableness of a determination not to provide an accommodation may be challenged in court in an enforcement.

Lastly, as I am sure you are aware, HIPPA rules apply to communication with deaf patients. Therefore, it may not be appropriate to use family members as interpreters without private, effective consultation with the deaf patient.

Thank you very much for your consideration and assistance.

----

I pasted the letter from my dad's message to me. But when I post it, the website for the AMA changed to a link. My dad wrote out the website address, so not a link, for the letter.

Good idea. It might also be a good idea to request keeping a copy of this letter in each of your medical files, at the front, as a reminder to the office staff.

I wonder if your dad's letter could be condensed and printed small enough to fit on both sides of a card, and then laminated, for easy carrying in a wallet or purse. :hmm:

Good idea. It might also be a good idea to request keeping a copy of this letter in each of your medical files, at the front, as a reminder to the office staff.

I wonder if your dad's letter could be condensed and printed small enough to fit on both sides of a card, and then laminated, for easy carrying in a wallet or purse. :hmm:

Yes, it's not bad suggestion.

The letter, your Dad wrote is super idea, Kaitin... I also think Reba's suggestion is not bad.

Great idea

Kaitin, since I've moved to this new community, I've had trouble in almost every clinic and medical specialty office--dentist, eye doc, you name it. I would very much appreciate your father's permission to copy his letter for my own records.

Kaitin, since I've moved to this new community, I've had trouble in almost every clinic and medical specialty office--dentist, eye doc, you name it. I would very much appreciate your father's permission to copy his letter for my own records.

Yes. :) He wrote the letter for everyone. Please copy if you want.

I emailed my dad some replies in the thread. He said a copy in the medical records for each doctor is a great idea. Good point, Reba!

He said also to send the letter a few days before the appointment and bring a copy to the appointment also. If you send before the appointment, he suggested the change:

From (old): Thank you for agreeing to see me today to discuss my medical concerns. In order to have an effective conversation and meaningful patient-doctor relationship, I need to inform you that I am deaf.

To (new): Thank you for agreeing to see me on __________* to discuss my medical concerns. In order to have an effective conversation and meaningful patient-doctor relationship, I need to inform you that I am deaf.

________* Put the appointment date on the line. Then mail before the appointment so the doctor can have interpreter at the visit. Bring a copy to the appointment in case the doctor didn't get the mail copy.

I emailed my dad some replies in the thread. He said a copy in the medical records for each doctor is a great idea. Good point, Reba!

He said also to send the letter a few days before the appointment and bring a copy to the appointment also. If you send before the appointment, he suggested the change:

From (old): Thank you for agreeing to see me today to discuss my medical concerns. In order to have an effective conversation and meaningful patient-doctor relationship, I need to inform you that I am deaf.

To (new): Thank you for agreeing to see me on __________* to discuss my medical concerns. In order to have an effective conversation and meaningful patient-doctor relationship, I need to inform you that I am deaf.

________* Put the appointment date on the line. Then mail before the appointment so the doctor can have interpreter at the visit. Bring a copy to the appointment in case the doctor didn't get the mail copy.
Good suggestions! :P

that not right,LuciaDisturbed but that disrespectful!

but you must approve bring paper and pens write to doctors without interpreter! oh my gosh!

What? pen and pad takes forever back and forth between a patient and doctor. It kills the time.

i have no problems myself but my mom can interpreter for me at doctor's offices more reasons but i dont need professional interpreter! but i can doit but i would can communicate with doctors with paper and pens what doctors would says! but my mom is not pro interpreter! so my mom is nurse for CCU

Is your mom a RID certified interpreter? Do you know that family member or friend who signs for you is highly not allowed? Have you heard of conflict of interests (not unless you choose your mom or whoever as non certified interpreter)? Suppose if you are in court testifying against someone, will you let your mom to interpret for you in the court? I don't think so. If she does interpret and not a RID certified court interpreter, she will wind up being paying fines or in jail. Interpreting in the court is very sticky and "dangerous."

you would fighting for bring down to interpreter and dont listen to secretary,whatevers but you can assit for that but you would ingore to secretary for godsakes!

IF im going to doctor's,Dentist's office and i dont need interpreter i can bring paper and pen with us and you dont need interpreter for appt what you wanted it that your choice! but i can doit so my doctors always nice and can paper and write to me and dont need interpreter for me that discuss!

Okay, it is your choice. Still, I think pen and pad is a waste of time.

you can doit what you wanted they you can called interpreter for appt that your choice i dont blame you.

It is Lucia's choice of using an interpreter for her medical appointment which it is very important to her than just a pen and pad method. What if she can not write the pad herself and prefers to use sign language? Think about it. :D

Personally, for me, I rather use an interpreter because doctors tend to throw the complex medical terminology at my face. Do you think you understand the medical terminology via pen and pad? I highly don't think so. Sorry. :ugh3:

Everytime I got to the doctors, they write all things for me. So I can look up the words and learn myself. With interpreters, there is no privacy. Once at a party in Greenbelt many, many years ago at Countrside apt. or Seabrook apt, an interpreter told al the deaf there that this guy is HIV+ into AIDS........

Lucia... I went through in same situation two yrs ago...I called my HMO.. and demanded that i have a right to have an interpreter... they did not know about ADA laws... so they called doctor.. ordered him to pay an interpreter.. it worked...

Wow, that really surprises me. Doctors should know the law better than that. I'm amazed. You should print this form, and go back into the doctor's office. Put the paper on the desk in front of the doctor, and ask him/her to fill out the section titled "Who do you think discriminated against you?" Tell the doctor that you want to make sure you get his name spelled right. I assure you, you will be treated completely differently.

People discriminate for two reasons. 1) They're mean/stupid and they think you do not know your rights, or 2) They're ignorant of the law. Once you show them that you know your rights, or that they don't know the law, they become scared very quickly, and they usually do what they should do in the first place.

I talked to my old doctor and was able to get some of my meds refilled today, but need to get two more refilled tomorrow. I'm good for tonight and tomorrow night, though. The reason I left my old doctor was because he made me wait hours to see him, I don't have all day to wait to see him. But I may go back to him if my new doctor's office pulls this shit again.
that's good to hear that. to my surprise that happen same thing to me. i went to dr office and they refused to see me and i said why? you and i can communicate by writing but they said NO! I almost speechless. I firm stand up and ask the desk and you know about ADA and they said No. well I was going to call deaf law about you. They told me to find someone instead of me. I said okay. i certainly went to see deaf law about situation. The attorney was angry and they said they took care of it. few weeks later the attorney said they have many patients and they complained about getting late. I glad that they were very honest but they didnt explain to me the reason. I end up finding a new doctor and they seem kindly and nice.

Vicodins

was the presribe for refilling Vicodins ? if thats true thats probably why they dont want refilling your sribes ?

Today I went to my doctor's office and when I got there they refused to see me. They said they can't provide an interpreter for me and then I offered to use paper and pen (I was out of meds and needed new scripts NOW) and they still refused to see me. They told me that it is the law and that they are not certified to WRITE BACK AND FORTH. WTF?! And they refused to get an interpreter...I asked for an interpreter months ago when I called ahead to make an appointment!!! The lady was so rude to me and she took the paper and tore up the paper I was writing on and said "this conversation is over, end of discussion" and had an attitude and everything. Her behavior was so unprofessional!!! She told me to go somewhere else. I was so upset and when I left the office I went on my Sidekick 3 and told my fiance everything what happened. My fiance's boss just happens to deal with ADA laws and so my fiance told his boss everything and she called the doctor's office and took of the whole mess. Now I just have to call the AMA (American Medical Association) and see about getting that bitch fired. Her behavior was very unprofessional!

Reading something like this makes me sick. It's been 17 years since ADA was passed and there are still some folks who want to ignore it.

Can't say that I'm suprised though. About 10 years ago, NAD had their convention in SA and I was working at the downtown Baptist hospital. I mentioned that terps needed to be provided for deaf/hoh patients and was told to sit down and shut up... or else. :pissed:

Once at a party in Greenbelt many, many years ago at Countrside apt. or Seabrook apt, an interpreter told al the deaf there that this guy is HIV+ into AIDS........

This is just pitiful and no excuse!! Definite violation of confidentiality. This type of behavior just IRKS me to the nth degree!! :pissed::pissed::pissed:

Also a side note.... as far as the ADA...am I right that if the Dr. office is small and has less than 15 on his staff, do they still have to follow ADA?? I thought that if it was a small practice or business, less than 15 then can get out of following ADA. Am I wrong? Not that I agree with that mind you...but I'm just wondering if that is part of the situation going on with the original poster, or if it's just plain ole stupidity?

Back