Doctor's office refused to provide interpreter!!!

Here in Finland doctors used to do that to me all the time. They treat us Deaf as total crap and openly refer to us as retards. This may be "world's happiest country", but only because Deaf and disabled never count towards that number.

I no longer deal directly with doctors, pharmacies, etc because of their blatent audism and surdophobia. Now when I need a doctor, I contact Deaf/blind society directly and they hire the interpreter for me for no charge. Each time I need a doctor, I only attend once interpreter service is confirmed.

I hope you were able to get your medications after their crap. Be safe ok?

Here in Finland doctors used to do that to me all the time. They treat us Deaf as total crap and openly refer to us as retards. This may be "world's happiest country", but only because Deaf and disabled never count towards that number.

I no longer deal directly with doctors, pharmacies, etc because of their blatent audism and surdophobia. Now when I need a doctor, I contact Deaf/blind society directly and they hire the interpreter for me for no charge. Each time I need a doctor, I only attend once interpreter service is confirmed.

I hope you were able to get your medications after their crap. Be safe ok?
Speaking as plainly as you did, you actually put a finger on the root cause of much of the problems within the Deaf World in the USA. Has been that way for decades.

In a way until about 1965 and later deaf were called deaf mutes and indirectly Mentally Retarded. becuase no one taught the deaf anything. I myself had nothing until I was 6 and a special doctor finds that there is nothing wrong with my mind. Im fine up there. Just have no education. And because I cannot hear. Thats all.

That was the difference between living a life freely with a education (Such as it was) and having a home, family and lands etc and work that is meaningful. If you had no education you are sent to a insitution and kept behind three layers of security in a warehoused situation until your death. You did not have permission to do anything other than what you were told to do. Sit. Eat breakfast. Get up brush teeth etc. Day and night ever ending not free. No knowlege either. And certainly not building a family or doing other things anyone can do in a Free Country like the USA. (or Finland or anyplace)

My doctors were pretty good. Because I speak up and tell them what for. If they were really bad doctors or worse discriminatory? Thats our last visit. you wont see me again ever. And it would be better to retire and go fish and enjoy your days rather than uppity people like me who should be labeled retarded and not allowed to be free. Never mind the boo boo or broken bone I came to doctor to fix. We are having much bigger problems. Never mind actual doctoring.

If all the doctors were that bad (And some were...) I would have gone to a vet and have him or her patch the bone and stick a medicine into it like a horse or something. Leave off he rest of it. Or did without with a bottle of whiskey and duct tape. **SKRRITCH! PATCH! done. problem solved. Owies dont matter.

I suppose I have to laugh now and then at doctors. I was taken to a trauma after getting smashed in a trucking accident and it was a mess. So there I was waiting on xrays to develop. They brought in a older lady. Who was bleeding badly. (Being a female there are certain episodes in which the body does bleed in that way to dispose of problems naturally if you were not preganant) so through the curtian I hear this lady scream I am bleeding, I am bleeding I am bleeding over and over and over. The whole ward could hear it. (And did)

I felt bad for the poor woman, but that yelling needed to stop. In those days there were two ways to do it. Hit em with Halidol needle and wait 40 seconds and thats it they are out. OR tell them to shut up about the bleeding.

This nurse did better. What did she do? She yelled back at the lady... QUIET PLEASE.. STOP with the blood stuff. BLEED ALL YOU WANT. See that closet? There is blood in there for 10 people. Bleed all you want, we add more to you when its needed....

Blessed silence.

I started laughing. That was all they needed to discharge me. Now I had to drive a big rig with all the owies in my body with that whiskey until the load was delivered. (This would have been around 1989, driving and driving was common in big rigs in those days) The doctors figured if I was laughing it would become infectious to the whole place of hurting people. So it was not welcome. =)

Back