Doctors againsts ASL

RonJaxon, I do think your situation is different because you already had a language when you lost your hearing. So the doctor probably assumed you would want to keep using the language you knew best. In the case of a prelingually deaf baby the doctors and parents are dealing with something of a blank slate, so they are being asked to make decisions for someone whose future is hard to envision. I don't think it's up to doctors to recommend ASL...I can see why they would talk about CIs because they're a medical intervention, so they know more about them. I think the first step should be to put the parents in touch with early intervention, and its up to the early interventionists to help the parents make educational decisions. The problem is that some of these people are not offering the ASL option.

SnowPrincess, just curious, I've heard that in Sweden the law says that deaf babies should be exposed to sign language starting at birth. Is that not true? I saw it on a deaf program here in France, but it was just something someone said in an interview. People love to talk about how everything is perfect in Sweden...
Hi lucyinthesky. I’m not really sure how to answer your question since I didn’t grow up deaf, but I dare to say that MOST children that are born deaf or hard of hearing do learn sign language from the beginning – even those who can wear a hearing aid or CI. Even if you do get hearing aids and that, most kids will be put into schools for the deaf and hard of hearing. At the birth of these children, the parents are given the choice whether or not their child should be wearing either of them in the future. I don’t think it’s in the law, but most follow it anyways. The law says that everyone should be given the same right and all that. But I don’t think there is a law like that. If the parents themselves are deaf the child naturally gets to learn it.
And that about Sweden, yeah they do tend to love talking about how perfect Sweden is. But in reality, some things sucks like elsewhere, so I don’t think we’re that perfect over here. Sure, some things might work better but overall we’re just like France or something. The schools for an example don’t work too well since they’re cutting everything down – like teachers and money to the schools. But that doesnt mean I hate this country, but I am rather tired of allt he things peaople say about Sweden. And of course it's really annoying that people these days still believe that we're all blonde with blue eyes and all that...

Born Deaf and am an old Deaf fart now. Have strong ties with Deaf Cuiture all of my life.

But never met or heard from any of my Deaf friends meeting a doctor that was against sign langauage in any form all my life.

Only stories of "Doctors against sign langauges" I seen are on forums like this one or blogs espeically from Deafs that are againist hearing aids or implants.

So I prefer to believe real life experience over posts or hearsay any day. :D

Then again I have to agree some of RonJaxon post, myself even wonder why would doctors even care if you know sign languages or not.

Back