Do you think sexuality is on a sliding scale?

natty_4ever

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how many of you believe that you must be straight, gay, lesbian, or bi. I've had people say you must be one of the above, and that there are no in-betweens.

I believe that sexuality is on a sliding scale and you can be between straight and bi, etc. Kinda like the Kinsey scale.

Not only that, do you think YOUR sexuality is firmly in one of those categories, or not?

Yes I do, along with most things in life. I think the need to identify 100% as one thing or another is mostly cultural. Both my gender identity and sexuality aren't 100% on one extreme, but I call myself FTM and hetero for simplicity's sake. A lot like how many deaf people aren't 100% deaf but they still call themselves deaf.

I identify as a lesbian but when it comes down to it I am ocasionally sexually attracted to men. I could never see myself in a relationship with one but I could see myself having sex with one.

Oh definitely, although I am a male and never been attracted to women I know several people who identify as bisexual but usually lean towards one gender.

Makes me wonder how many bisexuals (leaning towards the opposite sex) identify as heterosexual

I'm curious to see how many of you believe that you must be straight, gay, lesbian, or bi. I've had people say you must be one of the above, and that there are no in-betweens.

I believe that sexuality is on a sliding scale and you can be between straight and bi, etc. Kinda like the Kinsey scale.

Not only that, do you think YOUR sexuality is firmly in one of those categories, or not?

agree with you 100%

yes, I do think sexuality is on a range - labels like "bi", "gay" whatever are convenient but don't always fit how the individual identifies. I happen to ID as bi not straight but that doesn't mean if you drew a line with the range that I'd actually end up squarely in the middle point.

I am sorry but I don't understand how you can be in between straight and bi. Either you are bi or you are not. Same with being gay. Either you are sexual with the same sex exculsivly or you are not. And if you are not exclusive then you are bi. Seems pretty cut and dry to me unless I am missing something.

I am sorry but I don't understand how you can be in between straight and bi. Either you are bi or you are not. Same with being gay. Either you are sexual with the same sex exculsivly or you are not. And if you are not exclusive then you are bi. Seems pretty cut and dry to me unless I am missing something.

That is just it. There is a continuum. It isn't cut and dried. One could, for instance, be bi in orientation, but limit their sexual contact to opposite sex as a result of what they perceive to be societal judgement and religious belief.

As for me, I'm fully gay 100%. No feeling for Gals Nada!.

I don't like BI, don't ask me why. For someone who is BI isn't my business. I had several friends (Girls) who's also BI too.

Last edited:
Oh definitely, although I am a male and never been attracted to women I know several people who identify as bisexual but usually lean towards one gender.

Makes me wonder how many bisexuals (leaning towards the opposite sex) identify as heterosexual

I'm one of them, I suppose. I identify as straight, but I am attracted to girls as well. I just don't want to date them, so I don't identify as bisexual, because I think if you are bi, you would have sex AND be in a relationship with that person. Others might disagree with me, but that's why I personally don't identify as bi.

I'm one of them, I suppose. I identify as straight, but I am attracted to girls as well. I just don't want to date them, so I don't identify as bisexual, because I think if you are bi, you would have sex AND be in a relationship with that person. Others might disagree with me, but that's why I personally don't identify as bi.

Some people would consider you as bi-curious i guess. Most people bisexual to being attracted and interested in a relationship with either sex. There are too many labels for me to keep track of. lol.

I think it is a sliding scale and as most aspects of sexuality it is not as simple as being straight or gay. I think societal influences put importance in fitting in the binary. You are either male or female, gay or straight. Sexuality is way more complex than these purely reductionist views. A persons sexuality cannot necessarily fit in a neat little box with simple labels.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about labels and society. It makes me wonder why society needs to put labels on people. Why do people need to identify as gay or straight, or even deaf, hoh or hearing why can't we just be, without having to identify ourselves as something. The norm creates the abnormal, for every power there is resistance. For everyone who fits in the binary of gay or straight there are people who don't identify as either, or both or something in between. It's impossible to encompass ever single person's sexuality in simple English terms. Trying to break down ones identity, or being, into simple terms seems to cause more confusion than solidify anything.

I agree with pinecone... why do we have to quantify the degree of our straightness or gayness?

Most of the time I'm attracted to manly men (I'm a guy myself), and could never be attracted to feminine guys. I'm in a relationship with a guy since over 6 years but have always dated guys for as long as I remember.

As for women, I never really wanted to have sexual relationships with them, but always valued their friendships (talking, chocolates and such). Most of my friends are female, which I think is funny considering I prefer manly men. I think I get nervous when I try to befriend guys, and they might get nervous about the fact that I am gay. I wish guys would get over that and just be friends despite that.

100 % lesbian. Have never, could never and never will have sex with man :iobarf:

Sound like you been brainwash with other lesbian without being curious at all.

I do think it's gross to have sex with girl until I enjoy it. With male... I did and I don't appreciate it. So... That's me being natural. Doesn't hurt to TRY. Did you, I ask ya?

I agree with pinecone... why do we have to quantify the degree of our straightness or gayness?

Most of the time I'm attracted to manly men (I'm a guy myself), and could never be attracted to feminine guys. I'm in a relationship with a guy since over 6 years but have always dated guys for as long as I remember.

As for women, I never really wanted to have sexual relationships with them, but always valued their friendships (talking, chocolates and such). Most of my friends are female, which I think is funny considering I prefer manly men. I think I get nervous when I try to befriend guys, and they might get nervous about the fact that I am gay. I wish guys would get over that and just be friends despite that.

I'm not asking you to quantify the degree of your gayness or straightness--I was asking if you believed there was even such a thing. I've had people tell me that "If you're gay, you're gay, if you're straight, then you're straight. No in betweens." Some of those same people believed in bisexuality, some didn't. But the point is that some of people don't believe in being between bi and straight or bi and gay. That's what I'm asking, if you believe that there are degrees of being straight, gay, etc.

I know some guys who are freaked out by other gay guys, and some who aren't. I personally don't care if you're lesbian and come talk to me. I'm pretty sure no straight girls are going to hit on lesbians (knowing their sexuality), so...I'm not worried about lesbians coming to hit on me since I'm straight. It doesn't make sense.

I'm kinda like that. If someone is straight there straight... if there gay then there gay... if there bi then there bi... lesbian then there lesbian... people cant change how they are. To explain.. im straight.. period... i like girls and thats it... so someone whos a lesbian likes girls right? they like girls and thats it theres no sliding scale on going from lesbian to straight or bi or vice versa or whatever. you are who you are in my opinion and theres nothing wrong with that. i know a few and have got along with anyone. my neice is lesbian, my nephew is bi. big deal. im not a homophobe like some are though. im one of the few people my nephew has told about him being bi and introduced me to his bf thats gay. i think sometimes people that are gay, bi or lesbian try too hard to please people to try and fit in and get people to accept them because there gay or bi or whatever. they should just be themselves and if someone dont like it the heck with them.

Back