Do You Think Parents Who are......

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is somewhat related to the same story that Wendy created Woman charged with killing daugther with a hammer, shovel , so I decide to create a thread related to that without going off the topic in her thread! Thanks Wendy for giving me an idea on creating one here :hug:

My question is...

Do you believe that parents who are despressed or has any form of mental illness ( with or without taking any medication ) be allowed to raise their children or have any?...What do you think would be a better solution to keep those children safe without being abused or killed by the parents who they trust the most?....

^Angel^ said:
Do you believe that parents who are despressed or has any form of mental illness ( with or without taking any medication ) be allowed to raise their children or have any?...What do you think would be a better solution to keep those children safe without being abused or killed by the parents who they trust the most?....

I'll say that would depend on the mental illness, and if the mother want to keep on taking care of their children. She should be allowed to do so if the mental illness is not severe enough to be viewed as a threat to the welfare of the children's.

^Angel^ said:
My question is...

At first glance, it seems like a good idea for children to be taken away from irresponsible parents. That is already done. And that power is already abused. Parents who have different religious views loose children because they don't have them immunized, enroll them in public school, or teach them things the government wants taught. Also, if someone calls SCAN on you, you have a record as an abuser from then on. The caller is anonymous, you can't question or confront. The person can be found guilty and children taken without any proof of wrongdoing. If a person is declared incompetent by a cout of law and they have children, usually they go to relatives or fostercare. This is a common occurence with meth lab discoveries.

Not allow people to have children? Well, China does that on a quota system already, and millions of babies are killed to keep the quota down. Who would decide who gets to bear children and who doesn't? The whole concept scares me. Think of the possible abuses of such a system.

A person who would kill or abuse a child is not sane as far as I can see. But you can't punish people BEFORE they commit a crime.

^Angel^

As much I would like to discuss this too.. but for now, I got to take a break from Researches etc. plus in my opinions to discuss with this too. Altho I have took 2 pain pills.. My husband came home 1 hour ago, so I took my pain pills for my chronic backpain.. Sorry for that I went off topic now LOL

Thurs or Fri I will be back to discuss :) Thanks Angel for bringing this up.. I would want to read everyone's opinions As well too :)

Wendy

The concept scares me, as well, Codger. My family moved a lot because of my dad's job (several times each school year), so my mom decided it'd be easier to just home school us rather then enrolling us at new schools every few months. Because of this, social services was called because we "weren't in school". Do you know how traumatizing it is to a 4 year old to see your mother in tears because she just received a letter saying that people are coming into your home to make sure you're a "good parent" and that if everything isn't to their liking, they're taking your kids away?

I had nightmares about being taken from my parents. I knew a girl who was taken from her parents. Why? She was in a school play where she played a male character and had to wear a fake beard. She was allergic to the glue they used and ended up with bright red, sore cheeks. A neighbor called social services saying that her parents were abusing her. A woman went to my friend's house, saw her face, and took her without even talking to her parents.

In my opinion, the ability to take away children is already too greatly abused. I would never want something that allows them to prevent mentally ill people from having or keeping children. The implications of such a law would be horrendous.

Last edited:
Ethereal said:
The concept scares me, as well, Codger. My family moved a lot because of my dad's job (several times each school year), so my mom decided it'd be easier to just home school us rather then enrolling us at new schools every few months. Because of this, social services was called because we "weren't in school". Do you know how traumatizing it is to a 4 year old to see your mother in tears because she just received a letter saying that people are coming into your home to make sure you're a "good parent" and that if everything isn't to their liking, they're taking your kids away?

I had nightmares about being taken from my parents. I knew a girl who was taken from her parents. Why? She was in a school play where she played a male character and had to wear a fake beard. She was allergic to the glue they used and ended up with bright red, sore cheeks. A neighbor called social services saying that her parents were abusing her. A woman went to my friend's house, saw her face, and took her without even talking to her parents.

In my opinion, the ability to take away children is already too greatly abused. I would never want something that allows them to prevent mentally ill people from having or keeping children. The implications of such a law would be horrendous.

Damn. with that girl who's allergic to the glue poor thing.. The woman shouldn't done that take away like that.. should have let the law do it not her! oh man...
I mean if the law came and found out that the girl is ALLERGIC to glue then there wouldn't be taken away.. Damn! So did the girl went back to her family ? I Hope so :)

Wendy

Yes, she got to go home after spending 13 months in the foster system while her parents tried to prove that they hadn't beaten her.

Not to mention the fact that her parents were left with all the lawyer and court bills. Social services wouldn't even pay for their stupidity.

I'm glad you understand what I was trying to say. My ex has called SCAN on me and my wife three times. Lucky for us the investigators did not believe her and did not take my daughter but they could have "pending an investigation". Imagine how my children felt when a Sherrif's deputy came to the door, took us outside while he read a complaint to us, dressed in a black SWAT uniform with knee and elbow pads, big pistol strapped on his side. Now, even though we have done nothing to our kids, we have a record of three complaints.

To see how a law can be totally whack, take the law Clinton got passed that says people charged with domestic violence can not own guns. On the face of it, it sounds good. But BOTH parties are usually arrested. Both are charged. Now, even if Ma gets the abuser out and a restraining order, she can't own a gun to protect herself and her kids. Even if a wife falsely accuses her husband and he is proven innocent, he now has a record of being charged. Tough luck if he happens to be a cop or guard. He has to find another occupation. He cannot even go hunting again. Ever.

Exactly. So many "good sounding" laws are simply taking a nice, yet impractical, ideal and putting it into practice under ridiculous conditions.

Back