Do you think Deaf might drive BETTER than Hearing?

flameburns623

Reaction score
I'm sure it's come up before, but:

No messing with the radio or CD player.

No talking while driving--hey, Bub, keep BOTH hands on the wheel, and BOTH eyes on the road!

If Defies follow the other prudential advice for drivers--don't try to eat while driving, make certain you're rested for long road trips, take frequent breaks--it would seem to me that Deaf folks would be better drivers than Hearing people?

Thoughts?

I think deaf are same or maybe even bit better they concentrate as long see mirror and dead ahead all you need be good driver

I'm sure it's come up before, but:

No messing with the radio or CD player.

No talking while driving--hey, Bub, keep BOTH hands on the wheel, and BOTH eyes on the road!

If Defies follow the other prudential advice for drivers--don't try to eat while driving, make certain you're rested for long road trips, take frequent breaks--it would seem to me that Deaf folks would be better drivers than Hearing people?

Thoughts?

I think they are about the same, good and bad drivers with all kinds of people. Some days I'm a good driver, some days I bump into things. :giggle:

Actually, I've destroyed both side mirrors in the past, backing my car into the garage with very little leeway on both sides. That was before the warning bells that cars now have that scream when you come close to anything. I'm deaf, but I sure can hear those warnings with my hearing aids, drives me crazy! :lol:

I think they are about the same, good and bad drivers with all kinds of people. Some days I'm a good driver, some days I bump into things. :giggle:

Actually, I've destroyed both side mirrors in the past, backing my car into the garage with very little leeway on both sides. That was before the warning bells that cars now have that scream when you come close to anything. I'm deaf, but I sure can hear those warnings with my hearing aids, drives me crazy! :lol:

I agree with you, I believe they are the same...

Well, let me say this: Many years ago a well-known judge in Colorado, Judge Sherman Finesilver declared that "hearing nor the lack of it is a basis for safe driving......".

Well, let me say this: Many years ago a well-known judge in Colorado, Judge Sherman Finesilver declared that "hearing nor the lack of it is a basis for safe driving......".

Interesting...was it for a case or just a personal opinion?

I would say Yes, they are better...but try convincing a hearing person of it

I worked with a woman that was deaf - I thought she was a 20 year old by her immature behavior and I was surprised she wasn't. She put the pedal to the metal and somehow destroyed two cars with the way she changed gears. She got so many speeding tickets, her parents let her use their car so she'd save on the insurance. She kept the Florida license plates and never changed them even though this is Massachusetts. Also, used to brag how wealthy she was...always an endearing trait....

Laura

I think we have the best of both good and bad drivers. I don't think it matters if you are deaf/ Hoh or hearing. If you obey the laws and rules of driving you will be just fine. Me- I drive with a little music on low, just enough to really make me focus on my surroundings. If there's kids in the car- none. They are enough distractions

I would say yes. The hard of hearing are better drivers. This is based on no scientific evidence. Just a hunch. Thank you. :D

I think it is generally almost all deaf...premise being that one hones more to perfection other faculties when deafened......

my 94 year old neighbour been driving apparently she was blind everyone in area see her coming and leg it the other way it was painful being behind her..that would be only time I would say don't drive deafness no bar at all..
lots of things deaf better at, life guard is one I can think of

my 94 year old neighbour been driving apparently she was blind everyone in area see her coming and leg it the other way it was painful being behind her..that would be only time I would say don't drive deafness no bar at all..
lots of things deaf better at, life guard is one I can think of

:hmm: lifeguard? I'm thinking they would need good hearing to be alerted if someone was screaming "HELP"!

:hmm: lifeguard? I'm thinking they would need good hearing to be alerted if someone was screaming "HELP"!

Though being more visually alert and less distracted by noise they may notice someone in trouble more quickly than a hearing lifeguard. :hmm:

I saw 2 vlogs of deafies driving and making a vlog at the same time....signing with both hands and constantly looking in the camera then grabbing the wheel....:hmm:...one lady was talking about a DVD and was trying to find it in the car seat while driving....these distractions can be deadly, just like texting...not all of us keep both hands on the wheel, at times I don't...but being alert to what's on the highway ahead of us, even around us. should be mandatory....Feel it's not a good idea to make a vlog while driving either...your thoughts?

what difference between vlog and blog...book should be thrown at anyone doing anything that means taking hands off steering wheel...the worse is txing and riding a bike

what difference between vlog and blog...book should be thrown at anyone doing anything that means taking hands off steering wheel...the worse is txing and riding a bike

I think a vlog is a video blog

I think a vlog is a video blog

Yep. :cool2:

Blog is just a text version like articles or journal types online
Vlog is the same idea but done in video format. Deaf folks have really flocked to using vlogs- easy way with ASL.

It might be safer for you deaf guys/gals to drive a military tank on the road. That will save your insurance.

Back