Do you struggle to say words?

HoH_Profound

Reaction score
Do you find it challenging saying certain words or stutter at the beginning of a word which should otherwise be easy?

Example:- I'll make an order and say ' Hi can I have a pint of...' and often I will frequently have to pause to try and say the kind of drink stuttering on the beginning of the word till it comes out.

Last edited:
All the time. I often have to think of how to get a word out. Spoken language for us deafies is a learned language, so if it's not a commonly used word or a long word, I've got to think about how to say it. I use common, everyday words, when I'm at places like the gas station or similar, so that's easy enough. But not so in other situations.

Grew up with mild and then moderate hearing until I was 12 so English was my first language. When my hearing degraded to severe (from moderate severe when I was 14) I lost all confidence in my speech. This led to me stuttering and mixing words and kids are cruel so I stopped speaking. I am now 23 and have spent the last 4 years going to speech therapy with the NHS to re-develop my speech as well as my childhood accent as much as possible. HAs have helped but I still mix words and sometimes revert to my stutter but I am now proud of it all.

I do have trouble with some words...I was in Special Ed for speech and language as a child and have been hoh <that I know of> for the last several years <am in my 40's>. I also have auditory processing issues.

Yep all the time. I've even been known to stumble over acronyms (the latest was yesterday trying to get out AARP lol). Like AlleyCat says, it's usually words that aren't used on a regular basis.

Side story- I remember once riding with a friend (I believe Colorado somewhere) and we somehow got on the topic of street names- as we were driving. Friend tried to pronounce Yosemite-- it came out Yosetime- Yo-se-ti-me. I was able to say it correctly (my loss is worse than hers lol). Even after hearing ME friend still couldn't get it out right- we had a good laugh.

I guess for me sometimes I'm able to say/pronounce words as I visualize the word in written form then bounce off that. Read a ton as a kid/teen.

Oh my gosh. I had the worst trouble with coyote. I used to say it like cow-to-te until I finally got it right and even now I still have to think how to say it.

Oh my gosh. I had the worst trouble with coyote. I used to say it like cow-to-te until I finally got it right and even now I still have to think how to say it.

It depends on the crowd you're with, eh? There are two ways it can be pronounced, but I am open to a third. Lol
You think you got it bad? Once I went into a bar to get change for a bus fare, and honest, I thought my speech was good. I asked the bartender "Can you break this fiver for me, please?" He set down a Bloody Mary in front of me. :neutral:

Last edited:
It depends on the crowd you're with, eh? There are two ways it can be pronounced, but I am open to a third. Lol
You think you got it bad? Once I went into a bar to get change for a bus fare, and honest, I thought my speech was good. I asked the bartender "Can you break this fiver for me, please?" He set down a Bloody Mary in front of me. :neutral:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that. Been there and done that. The coyote was just one mere example. So many others. Just like yours.

I once tried to order a milk with my bfast at McDonalds. The order taker didn't understand me trying to say milk, I really, really wanted that milk, so....I started mooing like a cow. She got it!

I once tried to order a milk with my bfast at McDonalds. The order taker didn't understand me trying to say milk, I really, really wanted that milk, so....I started mooing like a cow. She got it!
Lol. Did you really ? I bet she got a kick out of that. But hey, what we have to do to get our message across.

Not merely now, but when I am lit, god my friends have a field day! I pronounce words that sound a little off kilter. Like one time, thanks to my southern accent, I wanred more ice in my cocktail, instead it sounded like I requested “ass” in my drink.

I wanred more ice in my cocktail, instead it sounded like I requested “ass” in my drink.

That's not so bad. I can top it. My wife disallows me to say "Client" or "Clint" in public. My "n" is silent in those words. I make it sound like a female body part. Ya know, like...Hey, I love Clit Eastwood! or 1st time at new Drs office, I'll ask how many clits ya got?

Last edited:
Yep all the time. I've even been known to stumble over acronyms (the latest was yesterday trying to get out AARP lol). Like AlleyCat says, it's usually words that aren't used on a regular basis.

Side story- I remember once riding with a friend (I believe Colorado somewhere) and we somehow got on the topic of street names- as we were driving. Friend tried to pronounce Yosemite-- it came out Yosetime- Yo-se-ti-me. I was able to say it correctly (my loss is worse than hers lol). Even after hearing ME friend still couldn't get it out right- we had a good laugh.

I guess for me sometimes I'm able to say/pronounce words as I visualize the word in written form then bounce off that. Read a ton as a kid/teen.

Haha I'm like that with so many things in Colorado. Oh-sah-ge not o-say-ge (Osage). Te-john not tay-hon (Tejon), Cotopaxi,

Then don't get me started on Hawai'i. My dad is kanaka maoli, full Native Hawai'ian. Kamehameha, Kalanianaole, Ahuimanu, Hanakailio, Mokuleia... Actually everything I learned in speech therapy helps me with those words.

Our ASL teacher (who is hearing) has sounds in her signs sometimes, like 'cha' I'm always sitting there trying to sound it out. I obviously never know if I'm doing it right. She says obviously I don't need to say the sounds it's more to get the hearing students adjusting their faces and mouths to show the right expression if that makes sense.

LOL...that's funny.

OMG, you should totally use this to your advantage to get free drinks. Have a friend go to the bar and sit down. You come in and ask for change. The bartender makes a bloody mary. You say, no man, I just wanted change. Bartender says, now what am I gonna do with this wasted drink. Friend says, hey I'll take it. But I'm not paying for it. This is a genius plan.

Back