Do you sign to your pets?

Mimsy

Reaction score
I've started signing to my dog Luca, just using non-verbal hand and face gestures and he's catching on. I think this is so cool! What about you?

My rottweiler Zeus knows come. I would clap my hand and he'll know to come. He also knows stay, but refuses to stay for long.

yip, i do, mostly directionals during bike rides, and while their running...*fast*...i sometims sign 'out', 'or 'quiet" if te barkin alot they'd stop...even 'halt' on the bike, ... point to car they;d jump in, point to kennel they'd go in...everything else id 'fuck (usually avoiding them colliding me on at high speed on the bike at river with dogs -one on each sides, on short leash...scary but um...fun...people freaks out LOL) or 'shutup', come here ' if nothing its "NOW": they'd come right away...

I used to have a chihuahua that knew over 20 signs. Sign "ball" and she would go get it. Sign "chicken" and she went craaaazzzy and would run to the kitchen and do her happy dance :giggle:

most dogs resond to even small movements, impressive in doggie sign back:)

Yes. Dogs are better at sign than speech . Although I speak to them also.

Joey the Pekingese is deaf, so sign was great for him. He has an eye disease that lots of Pekingese have, so his vision is pretty shot now, and we rely on foot stomping, and broad gestures close up. He is still doing great with that.

I've started signing to my dog Luca, just using non-verbal hand and face gestures and he's catching on. I think this is so cool! What about you?

My hearing dog responded to hand signals better than voice demands.

sometimes

I have worked with deaf dogs before.

Botti is very correct about dogs being better at the visual - that is their natural communication in many ways. They throw many subtle visual cues that other dogs catch but most people miss.

sometimes

I have worked with deaf dogs before.

Botti is very correct about dogs being better at the visual - that is their natural communication in many ways. They throw many subtle visual cues that other dogs catch but most people miss.
Yes, dogs respond very well.

I've started signing somewhat with my doggie, Anita....since she barks at everybody...I flap my hands and fingers at her...and call her "Miss Barkie"!....and to please shut up...hurts her little feelings I know. She's pretty good with verbal commands, but at the most inopportune times she will actually sort of drag her feet whenever I say "Come".....Seems she's getting a mind of her own some days.....

Back