Do you remember you were in 60's,70's,80's,90's,00's and what is new in 10's??

Old thread but a fun one. I've got clothes in my closet older than some of you guys!

Reba and I had very similar experiences. I was born in 1950. My dad joked that it would always be easy for me to remember how old I was, born at the mid-century mark.

I remember Winky Dink Saturday morning cartoons. Kids could send away for a piece of plastic to put on the tv screen, and with a special crayon you could draw missing pieces of the cartoon, like wheels on a wagon or a hat on Winky Dink's head or something. Worked like a dry-erase board, sort of.

We used to ride our bikes or roller skate all over the place. My friends and I could ride our bikes to a drugstore a couple miles away to buy comic books, and sometimes play in the park across the street from the drugstore. No problem, just had to be home by a certain time.

Also we could go to the movies and stay for a second or even a third showing if we wanted to. Movies cost 30 cents for kids, and then the price went up to 60 cents.

Like Reba, my school had a dress code when I was in elementary school. Girls were not allowed to wear pants. In the winter, we could wear snow pants, which we tucked our skirts into, but when we got to school we had to take the snow pants off so in class, we were in skirts and sweaters, and knee-high stockings, usually. This was in Michigan, so winters were serious business!

I was in 8th grade when Kennedy was shot. I happened to have the same teacher for social studies in the morning and for math in the afternoon. In our morning social studies class, we were studying American government. Our teacher talked about the line of succession, from the President to the Vice-President to the Speaker of the House and so on. Just an academic exercise.

Then in the afternoon in math class with this same teacher. We were going over some basic algebra principles when the teacher was called out of the class. Very unusual. He came back in and was white as a sheet. He said "Class, you must not panic. I'm very sorry to tell you that President Kennedy has been shot."

WHAT???? Unbelievable. One boy said "The Russians did it!" Most of us just sat and stared at the teacher in disbelief.

I am all of a suddenly feeling very old! I was born in 1946! I remember the poodle shirts ,all telephones where black and had talk the operator to made a phone call. Saddle shoes , penny loafers ,bobby sox.

I am all of a suddenly feeling very old! I was born in 1946! I remember the poodle shirts ,all telephones where black and had talk the operator to made a phone call. Saddle shoes , penny loafers ,bobby sox.

You are not the only one. I was born in 1945. Yep, those were the days when we had those things when I was growing up what you mentioned above. Those things were from the middle Fifties to the Sixties. I remembered I had the old teletypewriter machine for TTY before we had the small compact TDD when I went to visit my friend's house. There were some good days and some bad days. Life in the old days were pretty hard to live by, even in the 21st century as there were many discrimination against Native Americans and Blacks including me. :(

I was born in 1962. I started school in Canada. The playground was divided so that boys played on one side, girls on the other, and we weren't supposed to cross into the other side.
Sometimes my dad let me stay up late and watch Hogan's Heroes with him, but mostly we didn't watch television.
My mom went back to work full time when I was just a few weeks old, and I was always one of the only kids on our block whose mom worked.

We moved to the States later and I remember being in the sixth grade when girls were allowed to wear pants to school for the first time (except not me). I remember when the Viet Nam War ended.

In the seventies I remember long hair, smock tops, painter pants, pot everywhere, and huge keg parties by kids at school out in the desert (I lived in Arizona by then).

In the eighties I briefly did college in Portland Oregon (and a couple of ASL classes and a Deaf church), but then I was married and starting a family and we moved to Japan. I remember being very sad that I couldn't afford a cabbage patch doll or rainbow brite doll for my little girls for Christmas.
In the 90s we lived in Alaska and several other states and added five more kids to our family. I really was too busy for pop culture and was actively rejecting the materialism that comes with it, and turned down free cabbage patch dolls at garage sales.=)

You are not the only one. I was born in 1945. Yep, those were the days when we had those things when I was growing up what you mentioned above. Those things were from the middle Fifties to the Sixties. I remembered I had the old teletypewriter machine for TTY before we had the small compact TDD when I went to visit my friend's house. There were some good days and some bad days. Life in the old days were pretty hard to live by, even in the 21st century as there were many discrimination against Native Americans and Blacks including me. :(

I am not alone in getting old here! I am Jewish and I know what discrimination
feel like. My dad was not allowed to join a golf club because he was Jewish. I heard that the club still was not allowing Jewish people about 15 year ago! It is horrible what happen to the Native Americans and Blacks. My daughter is Black
and she was discriminated against. I remember how small the TV where when they first came out. I agree there where good and bad times then.

So? I mean, why not?

oh well...nevermind.

Please continue..:lol:

Im glad I was born in mid 70s. Whew...

What I will remember most about 2000's is the recession and Iraq war which was so unnessary.I cant believe we're in 3rd yr of new decade already.

When I was a kid in 1980s, my Dad had a 1977 Impala wagon, then a 1978 Malibu wagon. They were popular back then. Wagons are still around now, but not many people are thinking wagons those days.

To the "younger folks" above- I can remember the 50s.
Age is somewhat relative.
My oldest son was advising how old he will be soon-40!
Cheers

well, girls!...born in 1946..but don't feel old...(didn't say I don't look it tho'!)....remember the crinlins with bells under my skirts....bee-hive hair do's (I "teased" my hair every day!) and pink lipstick.....bows of all different colors in our hair.....hula-hoops....pepsi & potato chips & Milky Way candy bars....drive-in restaurants with curb service, soda shops where we all gathered to dance with the juke box, (Chubby Checker singing...."Let's Do The Twist") and Elvis....while we drank milk shakes....and of course, you were "cool" if you smoked cigarettes (or thought you were).....the guys with greasy hair....lots of memories, mostly good ones.

Cool threads here.... I was born in 1961 in this little town. Not much to do around there but I remember a lot stuffs back in 60's and 70's. I like 60's more than 70's. never wear seat belt was one of freedom I felt that I do not have today. Black/white TV , clean TV. No dishwasher, I learned how to wash dishes at 4 and I loved it. Remember saw our men fly to moon on TV. Of course I remember Charles Manson and his group, lived too close to us. Many bikers alike hell angels camped around the hills. what did we do for fun, go to the beach often. Got sunburned often, not think of about it as high risk of cancer. Go to roller rink, movie theater ( two movies) in the Saturday afternoon. In 70's, I finally started to wear pants in 1972 at public school. It seems everyone already talked about 70's except for the Nixon, lowest cost of living everyone was happy with job and not many were so broke just alike 2010's.

They usually didn't look solid white--the lipstick was translucent, kind of glossy.

My little brother hated that look. He said it looked like the girl had let a snail crawl across her lips.

If you've ever seen a snail trail, you know why.

Back in 80's and 90's, almost all or most cold medicines contain pseudoephedrine (PSE) but much less common today due to key ingredient for meth. They are usually sell behind of counter at pharmacy today.

I born in 1965;

I was a baby in the carriage that floating on the water, army ambulance boat found me and brought into the Mayo hospital (Univ of Minnesota). My real parent died in the flash flood.

I live in the children's rehab residential hospital next to the Mayo hospital.

I was about 4 years old, I tripped the electric cord and fall onto floor in my hospital room. Nurse rushed into my room and I broke my arm after tripped over. Nurse took me to the emergency x-ray to take a picture of my arm, the doctor order put cast on my arm. The cast operator wrapped up on my arm.

Nurse take me back to my floor, wandering every rooms, I found a wheelchairs in the storage. I played the power wheelchair just fun and banging around. Nurse heard noise that I playing a power wheelchair, she scolded on me lol..

I play the wooden rehab stuffs and eat foods in the patient cafe room.

I barged into other patient room that girl flirted me, she liked me. she's about 5 or 6 years old. she had a leg braces..

So then when the hospital sounding the fire alarm.. nurse and doctors huddled all children patients and me into the end of hallway wait for the firefighter comes in then hospital PA system say "All Clear".

I was a Pre-school grade, I ride on my private ambulance for school transportation. due the hospital closed the pre-school classes that why.

Then K-grade new adoption parent picked me up. ride on the private school van (VW Bus)

1974 I borrowed my brother's bike and the car hits me left me black out..then I woke up in the ambulance (Station wagon ambulances) and hear the siren blaring. I go back to sleep again.

after the hospital discharged.. my dad placed me on the couch for resting.. I watched "Emergency!" on tv (LACoFD 51). they had a color tv with knobs for channels and volume.

1975's still in school and ride new yellow school van they have a flasher on the roof bar with "School bus" sign (dodge vans). private bus company closed (Green and white VW bus).

1977 brand new MX bicycle for me then having a surgery in the Mayo hospital..

1980 new boombox stereo till 1984 I repainted my boombox to white/black and circle T just like our city buses theme.

Broomball game accident, my PE teacher called the school nurse (phone box in the chalet) then high school police (Hall monitor) with army cot (stretcher) rushed over to the ice pond across from the high school.

while I am in school nurse room, the nurse called my dad, and he asked to call an ambulance. so then nurse called an ambulance, private ambulance picked me up and rushing to the hospital as code 3 light and siren.

1990 I live in an apartment for my own live in. I get a TTY and closed caption decoder box.. I found the TTY BBS good for Metro TTY news and "Metro Deaf BBS" that computer run a TTY software for a BBS.

1992 Metro Deaf BBS closed and then I took over the SysOp sold me, I remodeling the computer and stuffs.. started new Metro Deaf BBS that I am an SysOp run the system till 1996 BBS closed for good.

1994 new tv with CC build-in.

1995 internet browsing and stuffs.

2000 Computer and cellphones.

2002 new laptop computer

2001 move into new apartment and terrorist attacked on WTC

2005 same old

2010 same old

2011 new mac laptop.

Back