Do you pick up pennies off the sidewalk?

I did find over $200 cash before after a sever storm near a bank... Think the wind took someones cash at the ATM? was all scattered in the bushes nearby.

It is rare for me to see pennies or any coins lying around on the sidewalks around here. Probably because of the bad economy. People are holding onto every coin they have for deaf life.

However, I have a coin jar but it is now changing to a bills jar with $1, $5, $10, and $20s stashed in it. It is almost full. Wheeeee!

I had a large 10 gallon glass milk jug, filled with coins, my house was burgerlized and they dumped it taking all the quarters, I went looking after the cops left for kids with big fat pockets in the game rooms with no luck.

Funny coincidence, watching a crummy movie and a guy picks up a penny and says in the time it takes to pick up a penny, you are making $18/hr.

Haha, this is true.

Assuming it takes you 2 seconds to bend down and pick up 1 cent.

60 minutes x 60 seconds = 3600 seconds per hour.

3600 seconds / 2 seconds = 1800 pennies per hour

1800 cents / 100 cents in a dollar = $18.00 per hour

Of course, not all at once...

But it adds up. ;)

The other day I was leaving the subway station, and at the bottom of the stairs leading to the street is a drain held in place with screws, with big flat round covers on them.

Those screw covers happen to look exactly like the tokens you use to pay your fare. So, I try to pick it up...

Wirelessly posted

sonocativo said:
Wirelessly posted

Only if you find it on "heads" then it'll bring you good luck.
My friend truly believes that. She finds it on heads, she'll put it in her pocket. Tails, she'll pick it up and toss it over her shoulders for someone else to find.

So isnt that just leaving a fake good luck coin then if it lands face up ? Kinda like painting a rock gold and leaving it for someone else to figure out its a rock...lol

Shhhh, 99% of the luck comes from just believing it. Remember Dumbo, with the "magic" feather? :P

Wirelessly posted

sonocativo said:
Just think where all those paper bills been in a strip club. Just a thought and we hold it in our mouths.... dont lie, you all done it.

And some women like to tuck their money away in their Bra.

Wirelessly posted

And some women like to tuck their money away in their Bra.

Hahaha! I used to do that all the time with tip money I got from massages when I had pants with no pockets. Now all my pants for work have pockets but.....I never thought of that when I used to do it. "this money I just stuck in my bra, and is up against my boob, might end up in somebody's mouth one day......."

You know this is kind of disturbing let's just not think about this mmm'kay? ;)

What's really interesting about this conversation is that it has established that it is worth it, financially, to pick up coins off the pavement.

Another person said, "Too bad people don't leave dollar bills laying around!"

Obviously, that would be even better. Thing is, we do that all the time.

I can "pick up" a 10 dollar bill each week by drinking less Starbucks, or not eating out each day, etc. There are places where I can cut back and barely notice, and save a lot more money.

A few pennies for thoughts. ;)

Saw a Lady at walmart that said Need Help Please no change Just Bills...If you are in need you would except anything anyone gave you.. My husband offered to buy a hamburger and drink at Mcdonalds and she said No.. We drove away.. Pennys makes dines and dimes make dollars..

Saw a Lady at walmart that said Need Help Please no change Just Bills...If you are in need you would except anything anyone gave you.. My husband offered to buy a hamburger and drink at Mcdonalds and she said No.. We drove away.. Pennys makes dines and dimes make dollars..

That's kind of weird.

Yeah, if she really needed help, she'd take anything.

In the last 2 days, I found a penny in mud. The other penny was on a wet hard top. I find penny in different conditions.

Just have to wash mud off that one penny.

Sure ill pick up a penny, I have a old glass liter size coke bottle that I keep feeding coins. After time passes its nifty to have the change for car meters or it adds up fast and is play money.:mrgreen:

I used to have a personal collection of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters in gatorade bottles that I drink after drinking beers nightly.

Now I have a collection of 1,2,5,10,20, and 50 koruna coins (Czech).

To add this, I also keep track of beer caps in bottles recently, lol... Three fat bottles so far filled, and fourth one barely at its inception.

Although I don't really pick up coins. They're worthless. I often wonder if pennies were made in America for the purpose of melting its copper material for use in gun bullets (making each penny costs more than nickel, dime, and quarter all combined)...

I used to have a personal collection of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters in gatorade bottles that I drink after drinking beers nightly.

To add this, I also keep track of beer caps in bottles recently, lol... Three fat bottles so far filled, and fourth one barely at its inception.

Although I don't really pick up coins. They're worthless. I often wonder if pennies were made in America for the purpose of melting its copper material for use in gun bullets (making each penny costs more than nickel, dime, and quarter all combined)...

Once upon a time you could actually buy stuff with pennies, nickels and dimes. Penny Candy....Dime Stores....the change hasn't changed, but it's worth has, but it does still have worth, just not the same as it used to. ;)

Not much Copper in coins anymore. Mostly Zinc and Copper plated. Probably still cost more to make than worth. Think it was the 80's when the copper went away.

Not much Copper in coins anymore. Mostly Zinc and Copper plated. Probably still cost more to make than worth. Think it was the 80's when the copper went away.

I think it was about 1982-1983 when U.S. pennies started to use less copper.

Effective yesterday, pennies are not longer being produced in Canada. It won't be all that long before finding a penny on the ground will be a thing of the past.

Back