do you know what caused you to not hear?

Have those of you who just posted with unknown loss ever been tested for EVAS?

What is it exactly? I googled the term (Enlarged Vestibular Aqueducts ) but I don't think I have it. Mine's sensorineural in both ears.

I woke up with a bilateral earache and severe to moderately severe loss and tinnitus. Hearing never came back in one ear. I eventually got a hearing aid to keep up. My audiogram matches otosclerosis but not my history. MRI showed "not quite normal" structure but I was born hearing. Visually the ear looks healthy with the exception of a pronounced attic. I declined the surgery to try to look for a diagnosis. It is what it is! I am expecting to wake up some morning with both ears effected. Even so, I am actually a optimistic personality. I'll just adjust.

Was born prematurely (6/9months), and my hearing loss was due to medication side effects... I was born bilaterally sensorinueral HL

My doctor says Otosclerosis, but as above, my history doesn't match it. When I worked as an Army Contractor about 15years ago now, I was exposed to some very very loud noises on occasion - wouldn't surprise me if that had something to do with it....

What's that? I googled it but not even google knows what it is.
Yeah, sometimes google needs a little help. If you google "EVAS hearing" you will get this site.

Enlarged Vestibular Aqueduct Syndrome (EVAS) | Vestibular Disorders Association

When it was first found in 1978 (I think that was the year) it was called "LVAS" and over the years they have learned more and changed it to EVAS. This is what I have, and even though there is no cure it helps to put a name on it. It also gives me things to watch out for with my kids.

Mike

What is it exactly? I googled the term (Enlarged Vestibular Aqueducts ) but I don't think I have it. Mine's sensorineural in both ears.
I just posted a link in my previous post. Most people with this have only hearing loss (ranging from complete deafness to mild loss depending on the person. Others could have balance or other vestibular issues as well (I never have).

For me, I have only had sensorineural hearing loss in both ears and no other noticeable symptoms. Having EVAS means for most people if you have a severe head injury, you are likely to have additional hearing loss. And some people could just barely hit their head and lose all their hearing (usually as a baby/toddler). The triggers apparently vary across different people. My hearing had been stable for 25-30 years before I had my first additional hearing loss incident as an adult.

-Mike

and even though there is no cure it helps to put a name on it. It also gives me things to watch out for with my kids.

Mike

I hear you there. I'm not one that it's unknown, I have otosclerosis, which is genetic.

My Dad likes to tell everyone that he hit me accidentally with a piece of lumber with a nail in it. :roll:

I had perfect hearing until my 4th year, and apparently I had chronic ear infections, but all the doctors & my parents let it go on a little too long, so the infection ate away at my cochlea cells on both sides.

I have mid frequency cookie-bite SSHL loss in both ears with my right ear slipping into with low frequency loss as well (had a ten decibel loss within a year). I first started having really bad headaches, dizziness, and tinnitus my senior year of college. I was checked for several medical conditions and nothing came up. I finally was referred to an ENT and they checked my ears and did balance tests. Everything seems fine.

My left ear has stayed about the same but my right ear has been declining. I go to the ENT and audiologist every three months to watch that ear and do adjustments to my HA for that ear. They never formally diagnosed me with APD (never been tested for it) nor Meniere's. It's annoying because cookie-biters are harder to fit for HAs...

prematurity/ototoxic meds/ recessive deafness gene

Crazy as it may seem. I was actually born dead with the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck. I was dead for 9 minutes before they were able to revive me.

Even after all this, I was born hearing.

I didn't loose my hearing until I was 18 months old. Had Spinal Menigitis, fever got up to 106. In the process killed my nerves, the doctors didn't think I'd survive, yet I'm here. *knock on wood*

Been borderline severe/profound since then.

My hearing loss is technically considered to have happened for unknown reasons. My jaundice was borderline for kernicterus, maybe even a bit too low so the doctors would never put that down as a reason, but they'd say "maybe you had mild kernicterus". I'm one of the great mysteries of hearing loss, just like so many others.

I was born hearing, but lost my hearing at 15 months old due to Rubella, a form of German Measles that my Mom had before I was born, and I contracted it 14 hours after I was born, and had to be airlifted to Springfield, IL, where I stayed almost 2 weeks, and was discharged. They say I almost died, and had I done so, I wouldn't be here today.

Actually Rubella and German Measles are one and the same, Rubella is just another name it's known by, and I lost my hearing that way too. I also had grand mal seizures from birth on that the doctors think also came from my mother's brush with the illness.

Laura

I'm HoH and have been gradually losing my hearing due to a disease I acquired in 3rd grade, called Histoplasmosis

Back