Do You Hear When You Read?

Do you hear an imagined inner voice while you read (tick all that applies)

• Yes

• No

• I am deaf from birth

• I am hard of hearing

• I have normal hearing

• I have not been deaf from birth but l am now deaf/hard of hearing

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes , it is considered completely normal. Does this inner voice have qualities such as tone, pitch, loudness, gender etc? Is it your own voice or someone else's or does this depend on what you are reading?

Yes, they do (qualities such as tone, pitch and loudness)...not sure "whose" voice it is as I don't remember my own voice. Trains, airplanes, loud cars, even animal sounds, ...I do remember the what they "sounded" like.

Yes, they do (qualities such as tone, pitch and loudness)...not sure "whose" voice it is as I don't remember my own voice. Trains, airplanes, loud cars, even animal sounds, ...I do remember the what they "sounded" like.
Very interesting :) Thank you so much for the insight :)

1969290_10204146679050380_3505530523102718243_n.jpg

That was too funny. For me it's not that the voices argue it's more that they want to sing to me. It drives me nuts. So I turn the music on in the car to drown them out. Works pretty good.

I was born profoundly deaf, yet I hear (I'm like 80% sure of this) the words as I read. I don't get it at all. I have a CI in one ear and a hearing aid in the other, but I only use my CI for all things band and theater.

The brain wants patterns so seeing words or hearing voices is normal. I was born hoh and always have a "voice" in my head, even as I write this I am talking it out in my head. But in real conversation my brain changes the verbal words to hand signs in my head. Or when I listen to sounds I see the lyrics rolling in my head. So I think we can change how we see/hear things in our heads

Back