Do You Hear When You Read?

Do you hear an imagined inner voice while you read (tick all that applies)

• Yes

• No

• I am deaf from birth

• I am hard of hearing

• I have normal hearing

• I have not been deaf from birth but l am now deaf/hard of hearing

Results are only viewable after voting.

BPResearch

Reaction score
Hi All, i am a student doing research on inner voices and would really appreciate your help to find answers to certain questions. Many of those without hearing impairments report that they hear an imagined voice when reading and claim that this voice comes from within. Some believe that those deaf from birth will not experience this as they have not heard voices before and hence are unable to generate imagined voices whilst reading. Others state that the deaf can possess inner reading voices as these voices are generated within your head and not externally. Hence, I'm really curious to find out what the actual experience is and would really truly appreciate if you can share your personal experiences with me. Thank you so very much in advance for your time :)

I am also curious about this, it's a good theory and very interesting to find out whether or not deaf people think in sign or have a inner voice

I never heard a hearing person tell me they hear 'an inner voice when reading '. I have seen people read out loud to themselves , their lips are moving while reading .
So this could be what people are hearing !

It might be a good idea to add one more. I recently went deaf as an adult and don't apply to any of them...

I sometimes wish I had an interpreter when my inner voices start to sing in Japanese.

I never heard a hearing person tell me they hear 'an inner voice when reading '. I have seen people read out loud to themselves , their lips are moving while reading .

A lot of hearing people imagine a voice narrating to them while reading. The voices will even change when reading a dialogue among different characters. For example, a female character will be assigned a feminine voice. Accents are even assigned as well.

A lot of hearing people imagine a voice narrating to them while reading. The voices will even change when reading a dialogue among different characters. For example, a female character will be assigned a feminine voice. Accents are even assigned as well.
This is new to me ! I never heard of anyone saying this while reading , I will have to ask hearing people I know .

That could be a reason. But it appears that there is a significant number who are able to hear what they are reading internally :)

That could be a reason. But it appears that there is a significant number who are able to hear what they are reading internally :)
Like I said I never heard of this before , I love to read but I don't hear an inner voice . I am HOH. I only heard my voice when I was reading to my child at bed time every night , she love to read too . :) That is really importance for parents to read to their children.

Like I said I never heard of this before , I love to read but I don't hear an inner voice . I am HOH. I only heard my voice when I was reading to my child at bed time every night , she love to read too . :) That is really importance for parents to read to their children.
Awesome :) Thank you so much for your feedback. It definitely helps me fine tune the direction of my research.

I don't think mine has any sound to it. But that's probably just because I'm deaf. So it's just conversation, or words, I guess, but no sound.

I am late deafened with bi-lateral CI's.... I cant hear anything but can "feel" my voice. I think I hear it being I was a hearie before, but in reality I am completely deaf and hear the "Phantom" voice which isnt there as well as other sounds ( think I hear the water running, doors slam...ect...) but I actually hear nothing.

No, no pitch, no sounds, no nothing... just mind tricks...
Only loudness is my actual voice and everyone telling me to quit yelling or lower my voice, as I cant tell.

I am late deafened with bi-lateral CI's.... I cant hear anything but can "feel" my voice. I think I hear it being I was a hearie before, but in reality I am completely deaf and hear the "Phantom" voice which isnt there as well as other sounds ( think I hear the water running, doors slam...ect...) but I actually hear nothing.

Makes Sense . Thank you very much :)

Becoming totally deaf many years ago...even as I read these responses and even type my response, an inner voice is talking and speaking each word I read and type....Don't feel it's strange at all...normal to me. and I also have Musical Tennitus....its never quiet in my head...so concentration is difficult at times.

Becoming totally deaf many years ago...even as I read these responses and even type my response, an inner voice is talking and speaking each word I read and type....Don't feel it's strange at all...normal to me. and I also have Musical Tennitus....its never quiet in my head...so concentration is difficult at times.

Yes , it is considered completely normal. Does this inner voice have qualities such as tone, pitch, loudness, gender etc? Is it your own voice or someone else's or does this depend on what you are reading?

Back