do you have any friends that don't know any sign?

August

Reaction score
this applies only to those who are profoundly deaf and primarily communicate with ASL or another sign language.

do you have any friends or associates with whom you communicate only in writing? or do you only write when you have to and limit your friends to those who can sign back to you?

Aside from the bird salute, not really. They will spell things out or use a kind of short hand. This still worked well for us before I received a CI.

Sure I have friends that are hearing and communicate with me by speaking. My lipreading skills are pretty good and my speech are very well understood by others. All of my co-workers are hearing, I have no problems in communicating with them. I go out for lunches with them all the time. They're fun bunch of people to be with. As for hearing friends, I would play cards with them or have BBQ parties. Nothing to be afraid of the hearing people, they don't bite. (Yes, Im profoundly deaf)

Yea, I have a few friends that dont know any sign and I use my oral skills with them. The only time I would hang out with them is if it on an one-on-one basis. If they get together for a social group, I wont join cuz I would spend the whole time missing out on most of what is being said so I prefer to hang out with them in very small groups (no more than 3 people ) or on an one-on-one basis. It is very easy cuz all of them live in AZ and I live in MD. All of my MD friends are either deaf or hearing signers.

Sure, i have friends that are non-signers. We usually use our voices to talk together since im strong HOH. Also, we do use gestures. Nothing wrong with that.

Sure I have friends that are hearing and communicate with me by speaking. My lipreading skills are pretty good and my speech are very well understood by others. All of my co-workers are hearing, I have no problems in communicating with them. I go out for lunches with them all the time. They're fun bunch of people to be with. As for hearing friends, I would play cards with them or have BBQ parties. Nothing to be afraid of the hearing people, they don't bite. (Yes, Im profoundly deaf)

yes we do.

*bites u*

I knew someone in 6th grade who knew someone who was deaf or hoh, so he knew fingerspelling and could spell too fast for me to understand. :dizzy:

you mean like this?

verwnivemqpwosndicbghazp2yfqmcvurv783bnvmjwjcurpslxuicmlsfmznnc uewfu8i34tjcgscjafnzhbwryotxmpqlcudcbnifmzngdywriotjwncvhegi8h7l

?

I knew a hearing person in 6th grade who knew someone who was deaf or hoh, so he knew fingerspelling and could spell too fast for me to understand. :dizzy:

Opps, I tried to edit the post to make it clear that he was hearing and the time for editing had expired and I ended up making a double post.

None of my freinds do not know sign other than the basic stuff I have taught them. "Yes", "No", "I going to bathroom", etc.

Wish I did have a friend to sign with though...I doubt I could even hold a conversation in sign nowadays. I can understand it better than I can actually "do" it, I might as well be a hearie :(

*IM
*write back and forth on paper or whatever is handy
*word processor

And if those things don't work, I tell the friend to learn ASL or go f*k off

same here, deafbajagal, I have no problem communicating with my workmates, they all don't sign, but thank god for these excellent technology!

I think i only know one deaf person that doesn't know how to sign..I'm not so sure. The only people that Don't know how to sign is my hearing friends. But i teach them if they wanted to.

Back