Do you feel or think that CI ruin.......?

Do you feel or think that CI ruin the Deaf culture?

• Yes

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • Netural

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
I voted no. I think CIs would change it but deaf culture won't disappear. CIs are not a cure for deafness and human beings have an innate desire to seek out others like them.

I definitely voted No... CI will not kill the deaf culture/community. I still hang around my deaf friends - it is more of the attitude that kills the culture not the technology.

I definitely voted No... CI will not kill the deaf culture/community. I still hang around my deaf friends - it is more of the attitude that kills the culture not the technology.

Hey! Long time no see! :)

Haha yea.. been busy - we had a new family addition (Logan) and been busy with work, and graduate school. And of course adjusting to my CI which has been a great experience for me so far! How have ya'll been!

Voted no.

Technology may be getting better but it is not enough to tip the scales yet to have that kind of impact on the deaf culture.

If the day ever came where no more people were being born with serious hearing losses, then I can see the "death" of deaf culture. That day is a long way off.

I will agree with you on that. I have a CI but I haven't stopped signing, I still go to deaf events, etc. Why? Simply because I enjoy those things.

same here!!! i just got CI, and yet, i am STILL THE SAME PERSON! :D :nana:
it was my OWN PERSONAL CHOICE to get the CI--- it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DEAF CULTURE!!! :roll: -- and i have deaf friends (who can't speak), so why SHOULD I SHUN them??? :hmm:

so, THINK ABOUT IT!!! :D

same here!!! i just got CI, and yet, i am STILL THE SAME PERSON! :D :nana:
it was my OWN PERSONAL CHOICE to get the CI--- it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DEAF CULTURE!!! :roll: -- and i have deaf friends (who can't speak), so why SHOULD I SHUN them??? :hmm:

so, THINK ABOUT IT!!! :D

I am wondering if the poll was in regards to future generation of deaf people since more and more children are being implanted? Or was it just speaking generally? Just curious.

I know for many deaf adults who decide to get CIs usually still use sign language and stay involved with the deaf world/culture..like alternate btw both worlds but what about today's deaf children? Think many of them will want to learn ASL as adults and seek out the deaf community? Just something I was pondering about.

Get over it? I wish.

Lucia, the question isn't whether or not you will change and stop being involved in Deaf culture. Good for you, I'm glad you are still involved. I feel the same way.
But that's the short term picture. What happens when future generations of deaf kids, not just future generations but the ones born in the last ten years, do so well with their cochlear implants that they are mainstreamed and never learn ASL? How do you expect them to carry on the rich culture of ASL and other Deaf customs? Remember, most of that 90% of hearing parents are going to want their kids to be culturally hearing, not culturally Deaf. I was raised mainstreamed. I know what that's all about. I'm lucky enough to have supportive parents, especially since my mom is willing to learn ASL. But from the very beginning the doctors, the speech therapists, the psychologists, everyone was trying to convince my parents that I should be raised oral, mainstreamed, and without exposure to Deaf culture. Expect that to be the norm as the technology improves. It already is the norm.
Have you seen "The Sound and the Fury?" Remember the scene where the Deaf girl meets the girl with a hearing implant who can sing? And how patronizing the hearing parents were, and how large the cultural divide was between the Deaf girl and the deaf girl? You'll have a hard time convincing me that the deaf girl is going to carry on the torch of Deaf culture.
Sure, deafness isn't going anywhere, but this debate is about Deaf culture.
Lucia, the large font and the "get it over it" doesn't really add anything to this debate. If you see a grand plan for how we're going to keep this going not just in our lifetimes, but a century from now, I'd like to see that. Really I would. I want to see ASL and Deaf culture thrive, too.

Lucia, the question isn't whether or not you will change and stop being involved in Deaf culture. Good for you, I'm glad you are still involved. I feel the same way.
But that's the short term picture. What happens when future generations of deaf kids, not just future generations but the ones born in the last ten years, do so well with their cochlear implants that they are mainstreamed and never learn ASL? How do you expect them to carry on the rich culture of ASL and other Deaf customs? Remember, most of that 90% of hearing parents are going to want their kids to be culturally hearing, not culturally Deaf. I was raised mainstreamed. I know what that's all about. I'm lucky enough to have supportive parents, especially since my mom is willing to learn ASL. But from the very beginning the doctors, the speech therapists, the psychologists, everyone was trying to convince my parents that I should be raised oral, mainstreamed, and without exposure to Deaf culture. Expect that to be the norm as the technology improves. It already is the norm.
Have you seen "The Sound and the Fury?" Remember the scene where the Deaf girl meets the girl with a hearing implant who can sing? And how patronizing the hearing parents were, and how large the cultural divide was between the Deaf girl and the deaf girl? You'll have a hard time convincing me that the deaf girl is going to carry on the torch of Deaf culture.
Lucia, the large font and the "get it over it" doesn't really add anything to this debate. If you see a grand plan for how we're going to keep this going not just in our lifetimes, but a century from now, I'd like to see that. Really I would. I want to see ASL and Deaf culture thrive, too.

I agree with u too. I wonder about that myself about future generations of deaf kids. Oh boy.

Amen I agree.....I was going to say something after I saw that post, but I knew some weren't going to keep an open mind regarding to this, so I decide it wasn't worth it ya know...but im glad you step in and said exactly what I am seeing too....

I voted yes because I just think that if you were born deaf then you should stay that way because it's soppose to be that way.

i vote no.. deaf culture has been changing since The first school was created for the deaf.. Look at deaf people today.. a lot of them wear CI's or HA's.. and yet they're still involved in the deaf community and in deaf culture..

Yes, it's possible that people with CI's in the future will not embrace deaf culture, but i'm willing to bet many of them will still want to learn what deaf culture is all about, and how deaf people have shaped the world...

I thought you are part of the deaf culture if your parents were deaf and use ASL. That you are not consider Deaf culture if you were raised by hearing parents, used Oral communication, or whatever.

At the risk of facing the firing squad......I have to say that I was totaly mainstreamed, my mother took one look at the deaf school and said no way was her child going there. It was hard yakker but boy am I glad now. I was never exposed to deaf culture in anyway and after my marriage broke up I decided to see what deaf clubs were about. What an eye opener!!!!...I expected to meet people the same as me, however it was like being on another planet. I never did attend any club socials, had the newletter sent for a while but found it to be almost illiterate...yes I know there will be screams of outrage over this statement but it is true. Deaf people do read dont they so there is no reason not to be able to write sensibly.
What I cant never understand is why deaf people want to shut themselves away from the world and be so different, saying they are Deaf like it is a nationality or something. I can only be thankful to my mother (adopted) and the wonderful teachers I had who pushed me ahead.

I am on waiting list for CI but still undecided wether it will make such a drastic change in my life to be worth it.

P>S> Just read Jessica's post that if you were born deaf you should stay that way.......does that mean that if you born short sighted you cant wear glasses or have laser surgery, ....if you were born with a heart defect you shouldnt have a transplant???????

NO, you don't have to be born to deaf parents to be involved in deaf culture.. there are a lot of deaf people who are born to hearing parents who are involved in deaf culture...

It's more how you feel about being deaf that gets you involved in the culture.. Most deaf people feel proud of their deafness and do like to show that they are proud of their deafness.. even if they grew up with hearing parents or a hearing family.

Back