Do you believe women are harsher about looks than men, or vice versa?

natty_4ever

Reaction score
I was just curious as to what others believe on this. I've heard some people say that women bash other women in terms of looks than men do, but I've also heard opinions that men seem to put down women more easily. It doesn't have to refer to the opposite sex, it can refer to the same sex.

In my experience, I think women put down others for looks more, specifically putting down other women.

When I was younger, it seemed to be the girls who put others down for their looks. Now, at the age of 38, I am starting to find that people in my age group, it is the men who are more harsh based on their comments on admiring hot young women and mocking the older or overweight women. One example is a few weeks ago, one of my male friends said that he noticed that hearing women tend to be very thin and hot while deaf women dont take care of themselves. He is a 39 year old man and many of us were turned off by that comment.

When I was younger, it seemed to be the girls who put others down for their looks. Now, at the age of 38, I am starting to find that people in my age group, it is the men who are more harsh based on their comments on admiring hot young women and mocking the older or overweight women. One example is a few weeks ago, one of my male friends said that he noticed that hearing women tend to be very thin and hot while deaf women dont take care of themselves. He is a 39 year old man and many of us were turned off by that comment.

Wow, that's ridiculous. I don't think being deaf or hearing has anything to do with how someone takes care of their body. I would have been turned off as well.

As for the original question, I think I tend to agree with Shelly. Younger woman can definitely get jealous of their friends' good looks, much more than men. I think the reason for this is evolutionary. Young women are biologically programmed to find a mate. Since men typically place a lot of importance on physical appearances when it comes to choosing a mate, it would make sense that women with less desirable attributes would be jealous of pretty women, friends or not. It's a sexual competition thing.

Men typically don't even comment or care what other guys look like, except to maybe say "he's a douchebag" or a "pretty boy" or something like that. We attack other men for things like status, wealth, profession, etc.

I do think, however, that younger men are more harsh when commenting about the looks of women than young women commenting about the looks of men.

Wow, that's ridiculous. I don't think being deaf or hearing has anything to do with how someone takes care of their body. I would have been turned off as well.

As for the original question, I think I tend to agree with Shelly. Younger woman can definitely get jealous of their friends' good looks, much more than men. I think the reason for this is evolutionary. Young women are biologically programmed to find a mate. Since men typically place a lot of importance on physical appearances when it comes to choosing a mate, it would make sense that women with less desirable attributes would be jealous of pretty women, friends or not. It's a sexual competition thing.

Men typically don't even comment or care what other guys look like, except to maybe say "he's a douchebag" or a "pretty boy" or something like that. We attack other men for things like status, wealth, profession, etc.

I do think, however, that younger men are more harsh when commenting about the looks of women than young women commenting about the looks of men.

We told this guy that he hasnt really been out there and that he was an idiot.

Oh..u met this idiot at the bBQ party..lol. Think u can guess?

Here's an easy way to reinforce those statements about younger vs older women's tastes, using a well known sociological theory.

Magazines, fashion catalogues, Victoria's Secrets. Whatcha see in there.. There ya go.

Look at male's modeling for clothing outside of CK's and I think you would agree with me that they are nowhere close to the level on females.

It all has to do with sexual customs developed by the USA; a decade or two ago in other nations you would find unanimously that women (and men) out there are not as 'picky'.

Being harsh about looks doesn't belong to either gender. Shallow people are harsh about appearances (and they are usually insecure).

Being harsh about looks doesn't belong to either gender. Shallow people are harsh about appearances (and they are usually insecure).

This one I agree with. I knew a person who had yellowing skin resulting from diabetes, long story short-- his nickname at work is "Patches," that would put down anyone's appearance, didn't matter if it was a girl's, a grandma's, a college guy's or a biker's, to make himself feel better about his skin condition. I don't know what his problem is though. Also knew a girl that did the same thing. Called anyone bigger than her "morbidly obese," anyone smaller "too skinny." Quite often she would make snide comments about how people dresses and such. Called herself a non-conformist, yet put down other people who didn't lead the same lifestyle-- go figures. To be fair, my hands are not completely clean, as I used to put down people when my self-esteem took a major blow during the second year of university; it was a hard habit to break. So, I don't think it's a gender thing, but rather who is more likely to be insecure regarding the things they envy the most about other people.

So, I don't think it's a gender thing, but rather who is more likely to be insecure regarding the things they envy the most about other people.

I think you and Sally have a good point. I agree with the quote, now that you brought it to my attention.

I suppose in regards to each sex specifically, women are harsher about other women than men are about their peers. But in general, it's about insecure people.

If you look at it that way, both conditions are subjectively related..

Observe it from a third person perspective. What determines what is "standard" and what is the norm?
That's right.. the people around you which in turn reflects the media. Huge influence. Doesn't have to be universally accepted, it can be a small portion of what is out there.

The critically negative people are using some of those conditions themselves to define what is normal to them too - they are getting it from somewhere else in the first place; they just have a higher tendency to express it more outwardly than your everyday person.

apologies if this comes off a bit critically argumentative, it's just teachings from sociology that makes you look at things from a macro-scaled viewpoint.
:P

simple fact of life. the sexual competition.

watch some National Geography channel :aw:

Well, it gets very bored so easily when to look up in most of those magazines where the ladies are being photographed...because I don't see much of regular ones that are not model-like faces or figures. So I have to say is, those regular people who weren't chosen to be photographed are beautiful than most of the models and those who are photographed in magazines. I don't care about men's judgement over women's appearance...is because they're scared shitless. Thank God, my man doesn't want to have a so-hot look face/shape woman. He just refused to. I don't even hang out very well along with high maintenance or snobbish ladies who looks down on me, perhaps my appearance (who knows, I dunno? I wish I could read their thoughts), and they look down on the regulars and less than regulars. They're just cowards, so limited, and very bored as fuck to be with.

If some of you ever watched The Real World part 6: Miami - one of ladies that loves to skateboard, wears boyish clothes, didn't do the make-up on her face, didn't have to be in very feminine manner in the sitting position at the table...just simple and being herself. That's what I liked about her. If I had met her, we would be great friends.

I tend to think women are harsher too (kinda hard to say about my own gender, but we can be pretty brutal!) I know I've been less than a saint in this arena.

Odd thing happened the other day...

I went out for Pho (Vietnamese soup dish) and this pretty Asian girl started chatting me up. At first I just thought she was trying to be nice, but then I realized that she was flirting. Hardcore. I haven't been hit on by another woman in a while.

I felt pretty hot for the rest of the day :mrgreen:

I tend to think women are harsher too (kinda hard to say about my own gender, but we can be pretty brutal!) I know I've been less than a saint in this arena.

Odd thing happened the other day...

I went out for Pho (Vietnamese soup dish) and this pretty Asian girl started chatting me up. At first I just thought she was trying to be nice, but then I realized that she was flirting. Hardcore. I haven't been hit on by another woman in a while.

I felt pretty hot for the rest of the day :mrgreen:

Hahaha, that's awesome. I don't know of any lesbians who would just go up to a stranger girl and start hitting on them unless it was in a place where there were GLBT people or something and it was obvious.

Forward it to Poweron. On the double. Pro bono.

That is weirdest thing I read. It went over my head, can somebody clarify?

Back