Do we look deaf...

Vorsia

Reaction score
:cool2::shock::-oHey Haven't been able to post much busy with my three kids going vocational services for myself tomorrow ,it turns out my daughter has some cavities that need fixing.well the doctor was Asian i didn't really understand what he was saying so the orthodontist ,stared at me and said why are you making those faces are you okay? she asked she said do you understand what he is saying ? i said it hard to read accents , because im reading his lips.... was just really funny how she said why are making faces ..people can really see we are hoh/deaf .. when not using sign..i guess we just look deaf...i didn't know we had a look.. has anyone els had this happen befor..

:cool2::shock::-oHey Haven't been able to post much busy with my three kids going vocational services for myself tomorrow ,it turns out my daughter has some cavities that need fixing.well the doctor was Asian i didn't really understand what he was saying so the orthodontist ,stared at me and said why are you making those faces are you okay? she asked she said do you understand what he is saying ? i said it hard to read accents , because im reading his lips.... was just really funny how she said why are making faces ..people can really see we are hoh/deaf .. when not using sign..i guess we just look deaf...i didn't know we had a look.. has anyone els had this happen befor..

Hey Vorsia!

IMHO -- there seems to be many unwritten rules that vary slightly by community, and some of them are rules about eye contact and length of time that its appropriate to look at someone. Also, I think often people can tell if you are looking at them in the eye or near their eyes ... although they aren't really aware. They just know something is different but can't quite identify what is different.

That is one of the reasons why after I have spoken to someone for a minute or two -- I may also mention that I read lips. It depends. Some people have just the right pitch and also speak very loudly and clearly so that its not necc for me to mention it. But others require more lipreading on my part -- so I do.

Cavities -- not fun! Hope your little girl doesn't find it too painful. Good luck with vocational services.

If I understand you correctly, you have difficulty lipreading certain people. Don't worry, that happens to all lipreaders, myself included. Sometimes I would meet a couple people and easily understand one of them, while I could swear the other is speaking an unknown language. Sometimes I even ask one what the other is saying, and frankly, I don't care any more if doing so is a social faux paux.

His Accent just through me off! i should of not tried to be super lipreading lady yesterday,
lol i see all these rules in the hearing world is just something els ......
the onlyones i find easy to lipread are my kids everyone else mumbles turns around alot looks down just plain impossible to lipread them ...

Last edited:
Hey Vorsia!

IMHO -- there seems to be many unwritten rules that vary slightly by community, and some of them are rules about eye contact and length of time that its appropriate to look at someone. Also, I think often people can tell if you are looking at them in the eye or near their eyes ... although they aren't really aware. They just know something is different but can't quite identify what is different.

That is one of the reasons why after I have spoken to someone for a minute or two -- I may also mention that I read lips. It depends. Some people have just the right pitch and also speak very loudly and clearly so that its not necc for me to mention it. But others require more lipreading on my part -- so I do.

Cavities -- not fun! Hope your little girl doesn't find it too painful. Good luck with vocational services.

JAZZ ...I Wish it was about pitch i just can't make out what was said so next appointment will be mostly pin and paper a days like yesterday are not for me ...i came home and just went to bed i was tired.... lol ..

it could be just because i talk so well they just forgot they are talking to someone with hearing loss ..

It could be due to your myasthenia gravis.

My own facial paralysis does give me a different look also.

Yes it could be i can't always smile when i need to its really embarrassing at times my mg can do that Bottesini....

I had a doctor that was Asian and I had a hard time understanding him and he much had notice this as came up to me and started to talk right into my hearing aide! I could not believe it, I never had a doctor do that before! Of course is did not help and I was not sure what to say to the doctor , it was the first time I saw him. It is really dumb talking into a person HA as if a telephone or something!

I am not sure if this is because I am used to being around deaf but yeah, I sort of can sense the deaf person just from looking at them.

I don't know what it is - the way they move, they hold they face - but something different is there.

Sometimes even when I look at the photo of a stranger I think to myself - "this person look deaf to me" - and presto! they are!

Fuzzy

Back