Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming Hearing?

No you are correct, it is GrendelQ he is referring to. That's her daughter Lily in the photo with Shelia. I remember Sheila mentioning a visit with them once.

I'm sure Grendel would laugh if she saw that she was called Gremlin :giggle:

We have gremlins? :shock: :Ohno:

One of the first selling points of CI was that the medical establishment was told, by the manufacturers, that CI was more cost effective to society because CI users would not require any form of accommodation. That has been proven to be completely false. Still some hang onto the "cost effective" fallacy.

Yep. I still have trouble with background noises despite the CI and due to problems with auditory short term - let alone long term memory -, I need note takers and terps as I remember things much better if they're in visual form.

Most European jews are quite white, albeit they may be brunette as opposed to typical Blonde.

Holland does have many middle eastern jews though, because during the Spanish Inquisition many "sephardim" left Spain and Portugal (many jews went there first from spain) and finally came to Amsterdam.

It was during a discussion of the Leo Franks trial.

The north hailed the case as a landmark -- The first time a black man was allowed, in court, to testify against a white man.

The south (This was about 1913) openly laughed at the ignorance of the north. To them Leo Franks was not a white man, he was a Jew.

Me, being the person I am, went over to some Jewish people I knew and said, "Okay, you look like a bunch of honkeys to me. What do you think you are."

They told me all Jews descended by blood, such as they, were of Middle East descent, even if they converted to Christianity. However there are people of non Jewish blood who have converted to the Jewish religion.

I am sorry to hear your losses as well, my point had nothing to do with the jewish aspect, but that was why they were persecuted. The title of this thread is so silly when it discusses the "challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming hearing" and it's rather insulting when there are real problems and real issues going on in the world, than this "imaginary" assimilation.

The context this thread was put in really sounded like the hearing were making some type of forced conversions of the deaf, the way the Christians did in African nations, the Americas, Australia etc...

Unfortunately some of the real problems going on are caused by typical attitudes of American hearing people.

Such as its emphasis on money, leadership, power, and ruthless success in business -- Which brought on the real estate collapse, Enron, and similar debacles. In most of which the real culprits were not punished, sometimes they were even rewarded.

Where as Deaf Culture, and some minority hearing cultures, put more emphasis on human choices.

These attitudes are very invasive and effect our every day lives.

If your child is sick, do you:

Stay home with the child?

Hire a baby sitter and get to work where you belong?

Typical hearing culture says you should go to work.

What would you do?

What would you want to do?

WHY?

I honestly feel, people recommend the CI not out of audist views but sincerity.
I would not be able to be where I am today if it weren't for the CI. I would not benefit from most online lectures on math if I couldn't here. Nor would I be able to be a public speaker, and having interpreters is somewhat self defeating since a CI is much more personal without any middle man transcribing, same goes to communication regarding the phone vs TTY though nowadays regular text and video chat are superior to phone calls.

Unlike the Conversions, deaf people are not being burnt on the stakes, slaughtered or sent out of the country. General America does not have ANY of those views.

Is there a difference?

This is excellent advice. I often tell people who are anticipating a career change because of job disatisfaction or an acquired disability to tell me what they would do with their time if they could do anything they chose. I personally, embarked on a career change after my son was raised. I chose to take that opportunity to further my education so that I could do what I have wanted to do for years. I am now doing what I love. Most days, it doesn't seen like a job at all.

BTW: have you read Bragg's autobiography? It is called Lessons in Laughter. It was among the first books I read when first beginning to learn about Deaf Culture, and I have re-read it a couple of times. It is very inspiring and thought provoking.

Haven't read it yet but I will

One of the first selling points of CI was that the medical establishment was told, by the manufacturers, that CI was more cost effective to society because CI users would not require any form of accommodation. That has been proven to be completely false. Still some hang onto the "cost effective" fallacy.

Yep false, operations, training, testing, etc etc etc are BLOODY EXPENSIVE, not to mention who does it? THOSE IN HIGHLY PAID PROFESSIONS! Scoffs cost effective **cough cough**

But with the change in perpsective that Berry identified, it could certainly become more desirable than perhaps you see it now. The disabling effects do not come from lack of sound, but from the societal barriers erected by the hearing culture.

My personal view of "disabilities" and society happened: not because of a Deaf person but a wheel chaired person.

A man in a wheel chair realized he was good with numbers. So he became an accountant. He was by far the best candidate the company encountered. Yet they did not hire him because the office assigned to accounting was upstairs and his wheelchair couldn't make it. Totally ignoring the fact there were offices downstairs he could have used.

Instead they gave the job to an ex-jock who couldn't do half the number crunching the guy in the wheel chair could.

I decided then there should be a law stating, "Any person with a limitation who can perform a job should be given the job they can do over any equally qualified candidate who does not have those limitations."

What kind of a society takes the only job a man can do away from him and gives it to a man who can do a dozen other kinds of jobs?

My personal view of "disabilities" and society happened: not because of a Deaf person but a wheel chaired person.

A man in a wheel chair realized he was good with numbers. So he became an accountant. He was by far the best candidate the company encountered. Yet they did not hire him because the office assigned to accounting was upstairs and his wheelchair couldn't make it. Totally ignoring the fact there were offices downstairs he could have used.

Instead they gave the job to an ex-jock who couldn't do half the number crunching the guy in the wheel chair could.

I decided then there should be a law stating, "Any person with a limitation who can perform a job should be given the job they can do over any equally qualified candidate who does not have those limitations."

What kind of a society takes the only job a man can do away from him and gives it to a man who can do a dozen other kinds of jobs?

Sam things happens with phones and verbal communications, totally missing theres internet, email, text phones, relay services (lots cheaper the CIs), the visual cues are easy enough also hearing people can learn to sihn half way dammit

It was during a discussion of the Leo Franks trial.

The north hailed the case as a landmark -- The first time a black man was allowed, in court, to testify against a white man.

The south (This was about 1913) openly laughed at the ignorance of the north. To them Leo Franks was not a white man, he was a Jew.

Me, being the person I am, went over to some Jewish people I knew and said, "Okay, you look like a bunch of honkeys to me. What do you think you are."

They told me all Jews descended by blood, such as they, were of Middle East descent, even if they converted to Christianity. However there are people of non Jewish blood who have converted to the Jewish religion.

I would imagine over the last 2000 years, their bloodlines have mixed with european blood so while it's accurate to say they are of middle-eastern descent, keep in mind how far back that goes.

I mean, we're all of African descent when you think about it. So, you could technically say Jews are really of African descent :)

I understand human "blood groups" are NOT classified according to sociological categories of "ethnics".

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I understand human "blood groups" are NOT classified according to sociological categories of "ethnics".

Eh? You mean it takes a womanizer to understand women the same way it takes an anthropologist to understand monkeys? Confused, I am. :P

Eh? You mean it takes a womanizer to understand women the same way it takes an anthropologist to understand monkeys? Confused, I am. :P

drphil is an expert at self-confusionisation

Didn't he say you don't have to have Middle Eastern bloodlines to be a Jew?

This thread is bananas.

But you don't have to be of ME descent to be Jewish. Not at all.

Back