Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming Hearing?

yes indeed it is, and that is what's happening, look at how media 'educates' hearing people about the technological wonders of CI then we often get bombarded with "why don't you get this surgery to get this special hearing aid, supposed to be amazing" ..hearing people just dont get it, and theres also a huge distortion about sign languages, they (and media) actually believes its a kind of 'crippled language' shorthand, or 'fall-back' and so on...

so there's is an enormous pressure not just from Audiologists, doctors and teachers, its the whole hearing world....

I honestly feel, people recommend the CI not out of audist views but sincerity.
I would not be able to be where I am today if it weren't for the CI. I would not benefit from most online lectures on math if I couldn't here. Nor would I be able to be a public speaker, and having interpreters is somewhat self defeating since a CI is much more personal without any middle man transcribing, same goes to communication regarding the phone vs TTY though nowadays regular text and video chat are superior to phone calls.

Unlike the Conversions, deaf people are not being burnt on the stakes, slaughtered or sent out of the country. General America does not have ANY of those views.

not too hard, Nazis were just eliminating everyone who's not German and inside the German group, there were Jews they target them also. It wasnt only the Jews, but any non-german. The bulk of the victims were Jews so it result they were over representated as victims.

Also remember that this is about 70-90% of European Jewry, while with the other groups they did not face the same severity of potential extinction.

I would not be able to be where I am today if it weren't for the CI. I would not benefit from most online lectures on math if I couldn't here. Nor would I be able to be a public speaker, and having interpreters is somewhat self defeating since a CI is much more personal without any middle man transcribing, same goes to communication regarding the phone vs TTY though nowadays regular text and video chat are superior to phone calls.

Unlike the Conversions, deaf people are not being burnt on the stakes, slaughtered or sent out of the country. General America does not have ANY of those views.

My parents had the best of intentions for me and truly thought they did what was in my best interests. They did what society told them to do. And I paid a heavy price. So, if I didn't get burnt at stake, my misery was invalid and non-existent? it doesn't count?

and p.s. just because you had a positive experience, doesn't mean everyone else did.

Oppression can take on many forms. Oppression is not always at the extreme as with the Holocaust. The most common form in today's society is the subtle and quiet form. Peer pressure is a good example.

As I mentioned before, those of us who were raised orally, were expected to speak and to lipread. When using sign language with a hearing person, it is so easy to slip back into speaking and lipreading when the hearing person doesn't get what we are communicating. Why, because for most of our lives we were forced to accomodate the hearing person. So, as soon as we see they cannot understand, we 'automatically' accomodate them instead. We need to reverse it and keep signing until they figure out what we are communicating. Only then, will we see equality and respect. If in an emergency then by all means go halfway and use other visual communication such as pen and paper. But, going voice off is crucial, if we are to get any headway in overcoming the oppression of oralism.

Last edited:
My parents had the best of intentions for me and truly thought they did what was in my best interests. They did what society told them to do. And I paid a heavy price. So, if I didn't get burnt at stake, my misery was invalid and non-existent? it doesn't count?

and p.s. just because you had a positive experience, doesn't mean everyone else did.

I real hear you, I do not in any way want to invalidate the oppression you went through. It is a shame, and your parents should perhaps have stopped after you made it really clear that you hated the process. Overal I think most oral deafies are happy, but again I feel the topic of this article finds the oral deafism also a bad thing, even if they enjoy it. Assimilation is not always done by force either, for example most foreigners assimilate into some form of americanism (whether that's good or bad)

really!It is very lots of German is group, Jew I am surprised!

No you are correct, it is GrendelQ he is referring to. That's her daughter Lily in the photo with Shelia. I remember Sheila mentioning a visit with them once.

I'm sure Grendel would laugh if she saw that she was called Gremlin :giggle:

I real hear you, I do not in any way want to invalidate the oppression you went through. It is a shame, and your parents should perhaps have stopped after you made it really clear that you hated the process. Overal I think most oral deafies are happy, but again I feel the topic of this article finds the oral deafism also a bad thing, even if they enjoy it. Assimilation is not always done by force either, for example most foreigners assimilate into some form of americanism (whether that's good or bad)

Foreigners are not required to give up their culture, their religion or their language. It's a completely different thing. Anyway, it is helpful to do some reading on this subject.

it doesnt matter, oppression is more invisible that's where the power of its damaging part, Deaf people have rights to be what we are, I dont need or want to be hearing.
sorry i beg to differ, it is forced, often unconsciously, ignorance isnt just unintentional its education doesnt just come from culture but also dissemination of information, CIs gets way too much exposure when it comes to parents finding out their children is deaf, and oftentimes the consequences of creating unhappy deaf children is often disregarded - that is forced.

You do seem younger that DeafCaroline and I. From what I have seen on AD here and from other d/Deafies whom I have met in person, those of us, who are of our age group, were raised orally. It was a trend of society back in the 70s especially when hearing aids were first made easily accessible, for the medical profession to 'experiment' with this new 'miracle'.

We were the 'guinea pigs'. There was a subtle 'brainwashing' of audism. It was taught, much like racism is taught. We were/are the victims of that.

Many of our parents are not to blame however, as was with my parents, they were not informed of other options. They honestly thought they were doing it in our best interests, because that is what they were told.

Yes, I am only 17 years old, I imagine things are much more different now? 20 years after the 70's. I don't think the atrocities you went through, happen really nowadays.

Yes, I am only 17 years old, I imagine things are much more different now? 20 years after the 70's. I don't think the atrocities you went through, happen really nowadays.

17? Ok, you have a ways to learn yet. Hahaha...trust me. Do you know other deaf kids?

I have to agree with you here, but isn't society as a whole much more tolerant than that? Most deaf oralies enjoy being part of both worlds, such as GREMLINQT's daughter who does ASL and speaks, (a picture of her AND sheila022 is just dashing!!)
254326_10150207538288797_564928796_7186122_4320411_n.jpg

The photo of Li-Li and Sheila is adorable!

Aside from that, in terms of your post, not everything is relative. There's a deep meaning behind what I'm writing here.

No you are correct, it is GrendelQ he is referring to. That's her daughter Lily in the photo with Shelia. I remember Sheila mentioning a visit with them once.

I'm sure Grendel would laugh if she saw that she was called Gremlin :giggle:

:laugh2: Definitely my child in that picture, she and Sheila have a way with dinosaurs :) -- that was a wonderful visit to the Museum of Science to be guinea pigs for the developers of a new ASL science dictionary.

That's how it should be. That we're deaf, so what? We shouldn't be compelled to meet on hearing people's terms because they don't want to meet us halfway.

My father, who is Polish, when he entered External Affairs back in the late 60s, the government asked him to change his last name to something sounding English or French because his name sounded too "foreign". My father said no. He's proud of his Polish heritage and he'll be damned if anyone tells him he can't be.

I've always admired him for that fand it inspired me to be proud of being who I am and not let anyone try to change me to suit their ideologies.
What is his last name?

yes indeed it is, and that is what's happening, look at how media 'educates' hearing people about the technological wonders of ci then we often get bombarded with "why don't you get this surgery to get this special hearing aid, supposed to be amazing" ..hearing people just dont get it, and theres also a huge distortion about sign languages, they (and media) actually believes its a kind of 'crippled language' shorthand, or 'fall-back' and so on...

So there's is an enormous pressure not just from audiologists, doctors and teachers, its the whole hearing world....

that!!!!

Just wanted to say that oralism is absolutely NOT dead. I hope it is disappearing there in the USA, because it would mean it's going to be "out of fashion" here too in the next years...:roll: (you know Italy does what America does, good or bad). But here in Italy, hospitals that dx deaf kids ALWAYS recommend oralism, and speech therapist from public system inside the hospital are ALWAYS oralists. Especially when it comes to CI kids! Shushugah, are you born deaf? How were you educated? Sing language ....?
I know kids that were tied in a high chair to do speech therapy, the therapist repeating sounds with her mouth covered... tongue depressor to learn to pronounce sounds (you should still find some interesting videos on youtube, try "logopedia"). Hours of that, starting very very young, too. Kids that have 2 hours a day of speech therapy at home, by their mother. All mainstreamed, of course...
If that's not oppression, I don't know what it is... And yes, many deaf adults say that's right, because they were grown up the same way and they're happy. Strange coincidence, abused children often say exactly the same thing when they grow up...

I'm all with Berry about spreading Deaf culture inside the hearing one. But that would mean to let go many things for the Deafies too, and I see it's hard for many of them to do so. But time will help, I hope!

And of course, the most effective political act we can do, is be consistent in the way we grow up our children, They are the future. We have to set good exapmles for them, and trust them that they will do right. My hearing child is already signing, and my husband (hearing) often signs with EVERYONE while talking. We are learning so much from Deaf Community and I think the best thing to do is to share, share, share. Not all Deaf people like us, though.

tongue depressor to learn to pronounce sounds

Tongue depressors! How could I forget these? It actually happened to me when I was a child. I hated it when they did that because I would gag every time.

Back