Do Dogs Need Sweaters When It's Cold?

rockin'robin

Reaction score
A major blizzard dropped 20 inches of snow on New York City on Sunday night as it made its way up the East Coast. Monday-morning dog-walkers had their animals decked out in sweaters and booties to protect them from the snow and ice. Are warm doggie outfits really necessary?

They can be. Some dogs are bred to handle cold weather. Labrador retrievers and Newfoundlands, for example, naturally grow out their locks in winter for added insulation. They're so good at keeping warm that they don't mind swimming in near-freezing water. But smaller, short-haired dogs are ill-equipped for blizzard conditions. A snug-fitting sweater or coat would make a greyhound or Shar-Pei more comfortable in cold weather, especially if it has a waterproof coating. (Dogs don't perspire much, so Gore-Tex would be a waste of money.)

There are a few other steps pet owners can take to winterize their dogs. During fall and winter, adding one or two pounds of body weight can help. And after a blizzard it might be worth investing in a set of booties like those worn by Iditarod sled dogs. Snow and ice can accumulate between a dog's footpads and create abrasions. The booties prevent new injuries and protect old ones from bacteria and road salt.

There's only so much clothes can do for an animal. No matter what kind of ensemble you put together for your Chihuahua, he's not going to be comfortable in blizzard conditions. Small, short-haired dogs have little insulation and a lot of surface area, so they lose heat rapidly. If a dog shivers furiously, then suddenly stops, he's in serious danger—it's time to get back inside immediately. Frostbite can also develop on the tips of the ears and tail. Sick, older, and postpartum dogs may have thinning hair, which makes them particularly vulnerable to the elements.

Dog-lovers in snowy areas should keep Alaskan huskies as opposed to dachshunds, although the ability to tolerate cold weather also varies among individuals within a breed. Professional mushers test potential sled dogs by letting them sleep in a bed of snow for the night. If the snow beneath them melts, it means their hair isn't insulating as well as it should, and the dog is rejected.

Do dogs need sweaters when it's cold? Plus: Is road salt edible? - By Brian Palmer - Slate Magazine

My dogs are non shedding breeds because of my asthma. They always have their hair in short puppy cuts because it is neater and cleaner.

They need sweaters in very cold weather conditions and they all have them.

I have had all kinds of dogs..some do because the breed is temperature sensitive Some ppl like to dress their dogs up..laughing..which is cute..i have always had large dogs so they didnt take to the coats to much the only thing I had to watch was in the snow..Because they had webbed feet for swimming, Labs, smow and ice would get between the toes and acrually burn them..so i kept them out til I thought they needed to come in..laughing..I will admit i once dressed my PIT/LAB mix in an old bra and thong
laughing..he was so funny and I couldnt decide which side his tail should be on...lol

I personally don't like putting coats on dogs unnecessarily, My dog is 8 kgs Jack russell (little on the large side for a jack russell) He LOVES the snow but is prone to illness brought on by chill so therefore I have to put a coat on him if it drops below freezing. I don't kit him out in fashionable coats which is probably not suitable for certain type of weather, a simple plain thick fleece or waterproof is appropriate enough. When we go for walks, I can tell if he wants his coat, I pick one up, the new red one (waterproof), he runs away but the gray one he comes back and lets me put it on! He likes his gray one but I need to get him new one since this one is too small (he had it since he was one year old and 4 kgs, he's now 4 and twice bigger :shock: !!)

Boris in snow.jpg This is a recent picture of Boris looking for his tennis ball in the snow! it showed his gray thick fleece coat.

There is a thing to consider, dog's kidneys are inside their back are very close to the surface and can loose heat quickly as we do with our head, they can catch chill easily.

Interesting, all of a sudden they were talking about a blizzard in nyc, not other towns like syracuse. lol.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Captivate (i897))

It may not be related. My cat has long hair and hes all black. It looks longer than it was in the summer. I think some type of dogs grow hair longer in winter and shed in the warmer days.

Yes, it is necessary for some breeds and not for some. Some dogs are genetically designed to tolerate cold and harsh weather conditions while some aren't.

I put a coat on my poodle when raining or snowing out so he will not get the house so wet when come back inside. And I put a coat on him when it really cold as he has arthritis in his hip . I read some place if you're are really cold when you're out side your dog will be cold too.

Yes, it is necessary for some breeds and not for some. Some dogs are genetically designed to tolerate cold and harsh weather conditions while some aren't.

I hate when I see a Samoyed with all it fur cut off in the summer! It is the worst thing you can do to a dog like that, they can get a sun burn. One Samoyed did get a bad sun burn and got cancer and dies. Samoyed has two coats and cutting it fur mess up the dog body in keeping cool in the summer.

I'm glad this topic brought up. I went to a pet store yesterday, you wouldn't believe it. A lot of people were looking for sweaters. I wanted to buy one, but they are expensive. Cheap cloth/rag for $50! And it is NOT even water resistant. I went there to find bootie for dogs. The bootie has two in colors: black with green or black with red. They are dull and very simple for $19.99. Come on. It's so needy! I totally felt bad when dogs shake the snow off their paws and lick them to keep them warm.

Anyway, back to the point, do you have any suggestion where to buy a decent coat/sweater for cheap/reasonable price? I thought about custom made outfit, which is not a bad idea. I would say coat, sweater, hoodie and bootie for $100 or less (have a family member sew them. Not from the store, the would probably charge me so much.)

I'm glad this topic brought up. I went to a pet store yesterday, you wouldn't believe it. A lot of people were looking for sweaters. I wanted to buy one, but they are expensive. Cheap cloth/rag for $50! And it is NOT even water resistant. I went there to find bootie for dogs. The bootie has two in colors: black with green or black with red. They are dull and very simple for $19.99. Come on. It's so needy! I totally felt bad when dogs shake the snow off their paws and lick them to keep them warm.

Anyway, back to the point, do you have any suggestion where to buy a decent coat/sweater for cheap/reasonable price? I thought about custom made outfit, which is not a bad idea. I would say coat, sweater, hoodie and bootie for $100 or less (have a family member sew them. Not from the store, the would probably charge me so much.)

I bought my Hoodie for my Pomeranian for less than $25. We've had freezing weather here in Florida. I haven't had to use booties for her feet yet, but if I did (and we had snow), I would put several baby booties on her feet
I would go down to the Fabric Shop and have ur family members sew ur doggie's outfits. Save $$ !

New York costs too much! I shopped at Petsmart and used a rewards card and paid about $10 per sweater for 3 dogs.

I didn't check coats as we have some and they last a long time.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Captivate (i897))

Real dogs dont need no f'cking sweaters.

We have two dogs...a MinPin (Miniture Pincher) and a German Shepherd. We put a sweater on Buddy the Minpin, if not he shakes like a fuzzy maraca. :)

Living in the Chicago area, it gets cold here, and my dog's breed (Basenji) is from Africa, so he has a sweater for anything below 20 degrees.

ah, Pat - u have a Basenji! Haven't seen recently outside of competition but at a training place I used to assist at, one of the clients had one. I can see where your dog would need a cover. My guys don't. We are in the same climate.
you do any coursing with her/him?

Depends on the dog's coat and how cold it is. Once it was so cold in Colorado that my border collie mix needed a sweater. My short haired terrier needs a sweater more often than the double coated collie.

The boots protect the dog's feet from the chemicals used to de-ice sidewalks and roads.

I am glad I brought my dog a new coat as he need to keep his wound from his biopsy dry and clean. I had to take him out in the snow storm yesterday
and his coat kept him warm and dry , as he had a lot fur shaved off.

Poor doggie! Hope that your dog is better soon.

Back