Do deaf people talk to themselves?

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Ask the Brains: Scientific American

—Amelia Thomas, Rochester, N.Y.

Cognitive scientist Gregory Hickok of the University of California, Irvine, and linguist *Carol Padden of the University of California, San Diego, respond: Absolutely. Just like hearing people, deaf people can mentally rehearse a speech, mull over a conversation in their head or simply ramble internally about the day’s happenings, all in the form of mental images of signs. To get a sense of what talking to yourself in sign language might be like, imagine waving good-bye or blowing a kiss—you are “talking to yourself” in gestures. Now imagine knowing a whole language of signs complete with grammar that would give you the capacity to converse with yourself internally about anything you like. Deaf people who use any of the world’s sign languages certainly have this capacity and indeed talk to themselves regularly in signs just as hearing people talk to themselves in speech.

*Awww, shucks, Tousi, Miss D. caught you red-handed, didn't she?*

Ask the Brains: Scientific American

—Amelia Thomas, Rochester, N.Y.

Cognitive scientist Gregory Hickok of the University of California, Irvine, and linguist *Carol Padden of the University of California, San Diego, respond: Absolutely. Just like hearing people, deaf people can mentally rehearse a speech, mull over a conversation in their head or simply ramble internally about the day’s happenings, all in the form of mental images of signs. To get a sense of what talking to yourself in sign language might be like, imagine waving good-bye or blowing a kiss—you are “talking to yourself” in gestures. Now imagine knowing a whole language of signs complete with grammar that would give you the capacity to converse with yourself internally about anything you like. Deaf people who use any of the world’s sign languages certainly have this capacity and indeed talk to themselves regularly in signs just as hearing people talk to themselves in speech.

Of Course..... as i grew up in the residental deaf school... At nights I had seen few girls in the dorm using ASL to themselves.. I watched... it was interesting.. They had lots of imaginations...

Nowadays... I had seen a lady using ASL while she was washing the dishes.. I acted like I did not see...

I don't see why not that some deaf people talk to themsevles,, just like hearing people talk to themselves. I don't see anything wrong with that. maybe some people talk to themselves to help them think better or speaking out loud to think. who knows. It no big deal unless the person is as loony! lol

I think everyone talks to themselves.ever watch someone pay a bill?:giggle:

We asked ourselves this question and our inner voice answered, "Sure they do." We're normal (almost) and if we do, everyone else must too. Do we need more proof? A voice tells us "Yes."

So, unless conversely, the habit is also somewhat notorious, for many jokes make talking to oneself the cardinal sign of mental illness. So that don't always mean a person talking to him or herself unless she or he is psychotic. Make sense?

Of Course..... as i grew up in the residental deaf school... At nights I had seen few girls in the dorm using ASL to themselves.. I watched... it was interesting.. They had lots of imaginations...

Nowadays... I had seen a lady using ASL while she was washing the dishes.. I acted like I did not see...

You say it was interesting.....why?

You acted like you did not see.....why?

My gf saw me talking to myself on VP when I was mumbling at my puter. Its nothing wrong with it. It doesnt mean we are CRAZY!! ;)

I sign to myself (in my mind and "out loud") lots of times. When I listen to music I do it alot, and fingerspelling is how I learned how to spell as a kid. I would hide my hand under the desk when I took the test and spelled the words to myself, haha. I think the question the reporter posed was sort of "duh". I mean, why wouldn't we have some kind of inner thoughts and monologue.

Back