Do deaf folks consider themselves disabled?

There will always be some people who milk the system. Those are the ones who I don't concern myself with because they aren't willing to do shit.

It is those who did everything right..getting the education, working hard, and etc who are the ones who get screwed by society's inability to adjust. That is what pisses me off hence that philosophy I have.

Well said. Just because there are some who milk the system doesn't mean other deaf don't have a legit concern.

My dad will get SSI three months later due skin cancer and he is very sick to work.

I am sorry about your dad Joey, Hope he feels better soon!

I would collect SSD, I have been trying to find job for YEARS! BUT it is hard, I can not work the phone, can not take orders (waitress), and I am limited to the types of people I can communicate with...please tell me who will hire me?

I think also this is available to Deaf people because despite the ADA people WILL (and DO) deny job based on this. I have applied to many jobs, went in to speak to the people but once they knew I was Deaf they quickly put end to the conversation and went on their way.

I AM IN NO WAY LAZY! I have the drive and determination and WILL to work!

Some of you have no idea what is like to be deaf. Dont judge unless you legally deaf.

Get this, as of today, men dont have to pay child support if collect SSI and SSDI.

I can go knock up a stripper and dont have to pay anything. :)

I see this all too often. I still remember one deaf man who majored in computer programmming and did an internship who was quite bitter cuz he couldn't find a job as programmer but had to settle for being a mail clerk.

I can related to your friend. I majored in computer programming as well. The employment offices and the likes tried to put me in computer operating which is very different and less challenging. I didn't get the job I want for about 10 years. When I landed a programming job, - boy - I got only one promotion in 10 and half years.

Right now I am collecting SSDI but still want to work. I am changing my tactics. I want to run my own business. (not sure what to go into and still need to take more business classes) If nobody wants to hire me, I will hire myself. :)

My philosophy is this "We are not disabled but society makes us disabled."

You took the words right out of my mouth (more like out of my hands).

I got to thinking that when I was watching a program where a little person said he had to stand on the toilet in order to use it. He said something like this: "Whose fault is it? Me or the way things are designed?". I was thinking that it would be nice if the owner would put in a small toilet - not only for the little people but for kids as well. (I have seen a little boy grabbed the toilet to raise himself up backward and I didn't like that.)

This really sets me off when I think about it. And, yes I do think hearing loss is a disability. But really, who wants to define themselves as being disabled? No, I am not disabled, but I do have a disability.

Granted every part of my body works and is healthy but my ears. (I hate seeing this) So why can't I work? I don't need ears to physically work. Right? Is this what you are getting at? Well a man in a wheelchair don't need legs to work with his hands does this make him any less disabled?

I don't consider myself disabled. I just need the right working environment.

Although I regard my hearing loss as a minor part of the problem, because of PTSD, I need some protection from radical LDS who would tend to discriminate against me because of my ancestry. http://www.alldeaf.com/general-chat/92392-genealogy-family-tree.html
Because of this, I am having problems getting a job. It is not easy.

My hearing loss did contribute to the problem, because by the time I got HA's and began to understand what was going on, the situation was quite bad. When things blew up on me, I was disabled, and could have gone on disability. However, I only regarded it as a problem to be overcome, and not a permanent disability. Therefore, I chose not to because going on disability because a devastated sense of personal failure and low self-worth would have been an excuse for suicide. It is not my problem, their prejudice is their problem.

There is even more to the set of problems I face, but I am not at liberty to disclose.

Last edited:
I do not consider myself to be disabled but society tends to disagree. That's my sweet and short answer. If I type anymore I'll go into a long diatribe of meaningless banter :)

Thank you!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Especially that last line. Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for seeing the question and answering it without taking it offensively like others here.

You forget. Everyone who is able to work but doesn't work is affected by the economy. For starters, me. I work a job as a primary caregiver but it doesn't pay much. However, my job history (or track record) has given me permanent black marks that weren't supposed to be there but by influence of arrogant, hot-headed managers, they ended up disciplining me on record without being honest.

I can work, but I can't work a job that would naturally support myself financially and set me on my feet with my debt at zero. Right now my debt is mounting because 1) I failed to pay for the bills that were important because of various factors that affect it (i.e., rent, cell phones, etc.), 2) it is quite hard to find a good job where managers naturally know who they're dealing with. I love working and I love working so much; lately I have not been giving myself so much faith to work twice as hard because I know that once I do, managers are going to bear down hard on me.

The adage, "It is so hard to find good workers" is not a one-way street. It's a two-way street. Just because a manager cannot find good workers means that they are not treating their employees so well. That goes for being unable to find great managers because leadership in the current place is not quite effective, or is not understanding how to deal with people that have a disability or a set of disabilities.

SSDI is not meant for disabled people at all. The Social Security system was set up to supplant the retired people with money they saved in taxes from their work. When they hit sixty or sixty-five, they are able to access whatever funds they had saved themselves from years of work. Now, the SS system affects everyone. Just because I'm on SSDI, get paid little doesn't mean that I am disabled, worthless, a piece of crap, and must deserve SSDI. Quite the contrary. On the other hand, I am very anti-SSDI and don't believe that deaf people should accept it. We should be treated to the same wages as others (which we do), but the problem lies in the job description and promotions. Promotions don't come easily for those who are working at the bottom of the ladder, that no matter how hard they worked, it's hard to advance the ladder when you know the bosses are afraid, aggravated that the deaf person is working twice as hard and knows he/she can take their job.

I have worked hard in my life before and cannot fathom accepting any more SSDI though it is a necessity (for now), not a strict requirement. I would rather that I support myself but despite these hard times, my job history is not going to get me to where I'd like to be: to be very financially independent, my debt at zero, and no going back to SSDI for the rest of my life. I hate SSDI like it's the cockroach of the century. COMPLETELY hate it.

I'd rather not be like your dad who spent every single SSDI check and not work at all. I would rather work hard 24/7, have a large Wikipedia entry while I continue working, and become known for what I do/did, and pass away knowing I did more than rely on SSDI.

I do not consider myself to be disabled but society tends to disagree. That's my sweet and short answer. If I type anymore I'll go into a long diatribe of meaningless banter :)

That has been a view of mine for a long time now.

I'm not sure about other states but in PA no private insurance covers hearing aids/hearing services but medicaid does. Obviously, you are only approved for medicaid if you have little to no income. BUT if you apply for SSI and are approved... you qualify for medicaid under the "PH 95" loop hole. So, there is more than just one reason someone would apply for SS benefits.

I respect that response very much.

The reason I brought it up was because of another thread where it was polling people on how much their ssi/ssdi checks are and some of what I read indicated that some deaf people are in fact capable of working but choose not to. I don't think that's fair. And those are the same people who talk crap about how they are treated by society and hearing people. I think it makes deaf people look bad when certain people take advantage of the ssdi system but complain about how they are the same as everybody else.

I don't think deafness is a disability either and I agree it is more of an inconvenience or annoyance when trying to live life with as much ease as possible. CC is definitely a big topic and I support making sure it is accessible in all areas, tv/movies, public transportation, etc. Deaf people need to be able to know what's going on at all times just like everybody else and also enjoy things like movies and entertainment just like everybody else.

You have NO *F$$KING" idea!!!

Actually no. It did not have a "built-in assumption." It was a question. I certainly understand if people are having hard times and need help. I'm in that boat myself. The question was geared specifically towards the people who CHOOSE not to work when they are capable of working. Does that mean they will get a job right away? No. There are many hearing people that can't get jobs so I'm not naive enough to think it's any easier for deaf people to get jobs.

My father was lazy and wanted to play bowling all the time so he never attempted to find a job and just lived on his ssdi until the day he died. I find that to be disgusting. My mother worked very hard and still has the same job for the past 29 years. She's lucky to have a good job and she's very good at what she does. If she lost her job she would do everything in her power to get another one instead of just sitting on her butt collecting checks. Does that mean she couldn't collect checks WHILE she was looking for a job? No. It would be helpful to those who need assistance while they're trying to get back on their feet. Not those who live on it for years like my father did.

Right, because only the Deaf *choose* not to work when lots and lots of hearies are out there just work, work, working their buts off. Unhhuh. And America has the highest morbidly obesity problem in the world because? That has *NOTHING* to do with the Deaf.

Thank you!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Especially that last line. Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for seeing the question and answering it without taking it offensively like others here.

Because it fit *YOUR* world and expectations. <rolling eyes> Same old, same old. Move along...

Because it fit *YOUR* world and expectations. <rolling eyes> Same old, same old. Move along...

Right, because only the Deaf *choose* not to work when lots and lots of hearies are out there just work, work, working their buts off. Unhhuh. And America has the highest morbidly obesity problem in the world because? That has *NOTHING* to do with the Deaf.

well said !!

lets see- if you do a ratio of deaf skinny vs deaf obese and compare hearing skinny vs hearing obese traciedantoni might be doing some serious gulping and swallowing and sweating.....:hmm:

First of all, since I am deaf, I can't apply for a job as a waiter or a secretary with requirement to answer phone calls. In other words, I am disabled.

Have you seen a deaf cashier at any Target store? Have you bought a movie ticket from a deaf worker at a ticket booth? Have you met a deaf car saleperson? I am not talking about hard of hearing people or oralists. I am talking about profoundly deaf people who use ASL and can't use speech.

That's why our federal government officially put a hearing-impairment (deafness) on a disabliltiy list under ADA. Therefore, deaf people are eligible for SSI and SSDI. That makes sense completely.

Fortunately, I have a job at US Postal Service for 27 years and it doesn't require verbal communication. However they don't hire anymore because of bad economy so deaf people have difficult times NOW to find jobs that don't require verbal communication. What's more, many businesses still practice audism.

First of all, since I am deaf, I can't apply for a job as a waiter or a secretary with requirement to answer phone calls. In other words, I am disabled.

But if the employer can provide accommodations, are you still disabled?

A deaf secretary can still work with papers, meet with managers or clients in person, use email, use relay services, etc. A deaf waiter can have customers write out their orders or point to the menu.

I know of a deaf chirporactor in Ohio. Apparently, he's managed to find a way to communicate with his clients during sessions. I also know of a Deaf man who doesn't use speech and he works for the Mellon Bank in Pittsburgh. His job is within the data security network.

Very few jobs are all or nothing.

Employers need to be educated more on this issue.

Have you seen a deaf cashier at any Target store? Have you bought a movie ticket from a deaf worker at a ticket booth? Have you met a deaf car saleperson? I am not talking about hard of hearing people or oralists. I am talking about profoundly deaf people who use ASL and can't use speech.

I'm profoundly deaf, use ASL, no speech....I work two years in high school at movie theatre selling tickets. Not so hard. Theatre print picture of each movie poster, people point which one, hold up fingers show how many tickets. I smile, friendly. Smile goes long way!

To answer a question way back in July: Yes, businesses can get tax breaks for hiring legally-disabled people.

To answer the original poster: Do I consider my HOH to be a disability?

Well, it may help to indicate a few things about my background. I was mainstreamed and beyond grade school I did not have any HOH or Deaf friends (they just weren't in my school). So I saw myself as a struggling hearing person, rather than HOH or Deaf. That was how I related to the world around me.

I was repeatedly told by the HI teachers to be "independent," which I interpreted to mean that I should not ask for help and to figure out solutions myself. Which meant that when I really needed help or an extra leg up, I did not get it.

Which meant that it was not until my 30s that I discovered the deaf community and the many services available to deaf people. I am learning ASL and trying to learn more about the community and so on.

I did not think of my hearing loss as a disability when I was growing up. I thought it was not a limitation. But on the other hand, I did not think of myself as a deaf person. No one said that I was deaf, and in fact said that i was not deaf. (I have severe-to-profound hearing loss in both ears.) So I didn't think of myself that way.

But there was no question that school was a constant struggle and was difficult because I could not hear well. There was no question that I missed out on social opportunities because I could not hear my peers in school. There were occasions where groups of people around me would up and leave and I had no idea where they were going. It would turn out that they were talking about going for ice cream or whatever, and I did not hear them. They assumed that I did.

Here's the thing. If someone would have walked up to me then and said, "I can make your hearing whole so you can hear everything hearing people can." I could have grabbed that in an instant.

The reason is that I didn't think of myself as deaf... I wasn't told that I am deaf. To me, my hearing loss was a bottleneck. A difficulty to find ways around. To find solutions to. Because I was faced with real examples of how having a hearing loss caused me problems. I wasn't concerned with defining my hearing loss as a disability or not, I just wanted solutions! I wanted the difficulty to go away.

So yeah, I guess it is a disability. And realistically speaking, as someone who spends 99% of his time at this point in the hearing world, I am aware of how it restricts me. I'd like a hardware upgrade, as easily as someone might change a hardware part in a computer. But I know that is not going to happen. This is my hearing loss, with which I have lived since I was born.

Yes, there are difficulties. But there are SOLUTIONS. There always are, for those who are persistent enough to keep looking and find them.

In this sense, we are not disabled. Because we have our intelligence and community and resources to find solutions to what we want to do.

That's just my perspective as someone who has never been part of the deaf community until last month. I respect that others have different views.

Back