Do deaf folks consider themselves disabled?

Ok I access the diffidently(wheelchair,LARGE PRINT, Braille,cane,speechreading,sign,) sociality considers me disabled(what NO!! i can do everything in my life that I choose)

I am studying at moment so I don't have a job so i'm on a benefit.Till I can get a job.Now because I don't veiw myself as disabled I tried to get benefit change from invailds to the unemployment the site manager refused because "its not in your interests"

Never mind the fact I need repetitious sole person type work to pay the bills as the rents are so high around here

I respect that response very much.

The reason I brought it up was because of another thread where it was polling people on how much their ssi/ssdi checks are and some of what I read indicated that some deaf people are in fact capable of working but choose not to. I don't think that's fair. And those are the same people who talk crap about how they are treated by society and hearing people. I think it makes deaf people look bad when certain people take advantage of the ssdi system but complain about how they are the same as everybody else.

I don't think deafness is a disability either and I agree it is more of an inconvenience or annoyance when trying to live life with as much ease as possible. CC is definitely a big topic and I support making sure it is accessible in all areas, tv/movies, public transportation, etc. Deaf people need to be able to know what's going on at all times just like everybody else and also enjoy things like movies and entertainment just like everybody else.

I was just recently approved for Disability. I am one of those people that consider Deafness, HoH to be a disability. But then again, my HoH is coupled with RP, aka Retinitis Pigmentosa. RP has had a profound affect on my vision (nightblindness, severe loss of peripheral vision), especially coupled with my hearing loss. The two together is called Usher's Syndrome. I am disabled as I struggle to hear and see. I do not find your question offensive. But I just wanted you to know my situation, as unique as it is, as it is rare.

My philosophy is this "We are not disabled but society makes us disabled."

I respectfully disagree....

Society can make you disable only if you allow them to.

Society may view you as a disabled person but that does not make you disable. That just makes me want to prove to them that I can do anything that they can do except hear.

Exactly, so would you hire a person who identifies theirselves as disabled or not? Would you prefer them to use the disabled term? It's a very strong term in the English language.

Who is more oppressed, and in what way?

I have wrote up a thread on this.

I was told years ago the businesses like to hire handicap people as they get a tax break! Has any else heard this too?

I respectfully disagree....

Society can make you disable only if you allow them to.

Society may view you as a disabled person but that does not make you disable. That just makes me want to prove to them that I can do anything that they can do except hear.

Ok so how come many deaf people can't serve in the front lines for the armed services, be a commercial airliner and etc? Because society says we can't.

We get SSDI checks because the rest of the world is disabled to us. They refuse or make it hard to hire us, we don't get everything captioned, and sometimes getting a interpreter is a damn hassle to us because the person/company/organization does not think it is necessary because many Deaf/HoH read lips. So yes, we may as well collect if being paid off is the only way to go about our lives.

Personally, I do not collect SSDI. I do not discriminate to those that do. Being HoH/Deaf is a hassle to the rest of the world and until they are willing to meet every need we have then damn straight we should get money.

Ok so how come many deaf people can't serve in the front lines for the armed services, be a commercial airliner and etc? Because society says we can't.

Ah, well, I can't serve in the USAF because I'm 1) hoh and 2) a single parent. I mean, there are people who can't do those things and they're not 'disabled'. They're just not qualified.

In regards to being a commercial pilot, that's true, but deaf can still be pilots, nu?

We get SSDI checks because the rest of the world is disabled to us. They refuse or make it hard to hire us, we don't get everything captioned, and sometimes getting a interpreter is a damn hassle to us because the person/company/organization does not think it is necessary because many Deaf/HoH read lips. So yes, we may as well collect if being paid off is the only way to go about our lives.

Personally, I do not collect SSDI. I do not discriminate to those that do. Being HoH/Deaf is a hassle to the rest of the world and until they are willing to meet every need we have then damn straight we should get money.

All of the things you request from hearing makes the point that being deaf is a disability because this is a hearing world.

If this were a flying world and you didn't have wings, that would also be an issue.

I personally would like to see deaf get access to everything hearing people do and then remove deafness as an automatic qualifier for social security. So long as society sees deaf as freeloaders or disabled, they will be treated as such.

oh, and add:

Having a disability is not the same as acting disabled. Deaf shouldn't be thought of as 'disabled'.

oh, and add:

Having a disability is not the same as acting disabled. Deaf shouldn't be thought of as 'disabled'.

i DISAGREE there strongly, Deaf are disabled by society, its not negotiable, it DOES happens ALL the time.

i DISAGREE there strongly, Deaf are disabled by society, its not negotiable, it DOES happens ALL the time.

What part do you disagree with?

I don't think a hearing person should look at a deaf person and first think, "Oh, they are disabled...I wonder what else they can't do..." or whatever. Just think, "Oh hey, different language needs. Whatever."

:werd:

What part do you disagree with?

I don't think a hearing person should look at a deaf person and first think, "Oh, they are disabled...I wonder what else they can't do..." or whatever. Just think, "Oh hey, different language needs. Whatever."

whatever what? whatever we can do to accomodate their communciation needs? or just wait till more important things then they'd have an interpreter

is that what you mean

Oh yes, I have....back in the 80's-90's....so I dunno about today....

no, its happening NOW, right now, nothings have changed much, except maybe a few more millionaire deafs but by large that doesnt hide the thousands. millions deafs are actually worse off..media are very clever at reframing this , just to delude the public into thinking theres progress (sic)

It's pretty same over years to me. Don't forget that some of us do pay out of our pockets to get new HAs or CIs. That is so awesome, not. :roll:

whatever what? whatever we can do to accomodate their communciation needs? or just wait till more important things then they'd have an interpreter

is that what you mean

As in...not make it a big deal.

Ah, well, I can't serve in the USAF because I'm 1) hoh and 2) a single parent. I mean, there are people who can't do those things and they're not 'disabled'. They're just not qualified.

In regards to being a commercial pilot, that's true, but deaf can still be pilots, nu?

That is just some of the few examples out of many. The point is that there are many deaf who are able to do avariety of jobs but society's prejudice makes it nearly impossible for many of us to achieve to our potential and as a result, many deaf give up and collect SSDI. Not everyone has the time nor the ability to fight and prove those ignorant people wrong. It would be nice but I am a realist especially in this economy the way it is. Call me pessimistic but I have seen way toooo many of my friends who have all the necessary degrees, training, or even experience apply to one company after another for years until they give up and work at jobs not related to their fields with poor pay or collect SSI. It gets discouraging.

Back