DNA databases

simple - watch Gattaca and Minority Report. Do you really want to live in a Police State and be monitored 24/7?

But I'm interested in how people think it would be abused. I think that first hearing about it, it does sort of strike a nerve. For me, especially with all the invasion of privacy that was so common under Bush. But thinking about it, I'm curious what people are afraid would happen.

That's the problem, I can't imagine how it would be abused because my knowledge of forensics isn't great.. perhaps I'm just being too suspiscious of it, but I just don't know. :hmm:

but I'm worried about its abuse under invasion of privacy, too, because I feel as though it would only be a matter of time before everyone was on it. I suppose it would be amazing for solving crime, and that's why I don't oppose it, but the idea of a gov't holding that much truly personal information is a bit unnerving to me. Especially as in the UK, probably one of the most spied on, if not the most spied on nation on Earth, I'm worried about the idea of it falling into the wrong hands, or being used falsely. After all, think of the fraud you could commit with DNA knowledge.. Considering the UK is so naff that the Home Office also left a CD with all our details on a train... bah :D

In the UK, they were proposing bringing an ID card, with like, 37 or 41 or something pieces of information on this (including DNA). Can you imagine if someone lost that? They'd be fucked, if you'll excuse my French :D

Wow, they're talking about the same thing here in the UK. I'm not sure what to make of it. It seems like it could be used for good, but it could also easily be abused.

It seems as though the gov'ts propose things like keeping people's DNA, or as in England, Every phone call, email or website visit 'to be monitored' - Telegraph - it seems as though it's "for our protection", in the UK, everyone's websites visited and phone calls and emails will be monitored "because of terrorism" - but it seems unfair..

I think for criminals who have commited more serious crimes, sure thing - assault, rape, murder, theft, etc - they should have their DNA put on record in case they offend again... but if it's for minor things like getting arrested at a demonstration, not having your driver's licence on you, etc, then it's a bit too over the top. I think for those who have not been convicted for a crime, they should have it temporarily until they have been cleared or convicted, but it should not be kept if they have been cleared.

Gah, I don't know. :D It could easily be abused, that's why I guess I'm going to have to say it needs to be treated very, very carefully.

I wonder if you have seen this: Masterpiece | The Last Enemy | PBS It's a UK based and based on the future. It was interesting to watch since it was about privacy and monitoring.

But I'm interested in how people think it would be abused.

Everyone is "bad" once a while (I'm sure you have done something naughty, LOL) , but with all this, you feel like you are walking on eggshells ... your beliefs, your political opinions, the diseases you have, etc. All because the gov't know EVERYTHING about you.

CSI based shows generally have the lab portion of results, suspect identifying done correctly except there's one chief thing missing at the moment that isn't show in the shows. Those shows typically give you the idea that its done in a matter of a few hours and by the time the day's over, they've got their suspect.

The key difference between reality and TV is that there is a whole other load of protocol in real life. They have to request permission after permission for every lab test, document and sign their findings, then move onto the next part. It can take more than a day, weeks or even months. We are also bound to make human error somewhere along the line y'know.

Probably once this technology is perfected, things will actually get done quicker in the long run.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. On TV, everything is always so fast, and they always just happen to have someone's DNA on file because of their job, or previous arrests, etc... I was saying that maybe having a larger database would make it more possible to speed up that process (although I doubt CSI will focus on the paperwork side still :giggle:)

But on topic regarding DNA databases of criminals. This just rings my Minority Report bell, as I can picture this as the same thing. Not so much the department of precrime, but the way data is utilized and how they can track people down. It will be entirely sophisticated, but little by little your life will turn into a digital folder only able to be looked at by trusted officials.
"Hi, welcome to the mall Mr. Anderton! How was your last GAP sweater purchase that you bought on 04/19/2018?"
And of course, within those trusted officials you also have corruption; which will also sell it on the blackmarket or stuff like that. End of dramatized version of the future.

But things like that already exist, and in a way creepier sense than the police having your DNA on file in case you ever commit a crime. I mean, look at facebook. My girlfriend and I have been looking at engagement rings, and just from comments we've written, or from google searches (since I think it looks at those, too), all our little sidebar ads are aimed at engagements rings, or gay cruises, or all sorts of weird things that it attempts to "personalize" to us. To me that's way scarier than a police database...

But things like that already exist, and in a way creepier sense than the police having your DNA on file in case you ever commit a crime. I mean, look at facebook. My girlfriend and I have been looking at engagement rings, and just from comments we've written, or from google searches (since I think it looks at those, too), all our little sidebar ads are aimed at engagements rings, or gay cruises, or all sorts of weird things that it attempts to "personalize" to us. To me that's way scarier than a police database...

Oh! Fortunately I can answer that part for ya. It's a little tangeting off because it spins into the IP tracking and internet world. I mean they could attach your net browsing habits to your DNA information, I can see that. But as of right now, the gov has no such thing yet.

What you're seeing is really, two words. Google AdSense.
It's even here on the board.

Google, however, is a privately owned company. All the data coming from adsense is based on what you're typing or what you see on the page. Companies then are also shelling out $$$ to google to have their links promoted in the adsense pages.

I think I read somewhere that you need to have around a ~$200,000 or something annual earnings to qualify for the big fish or something, it's on the google adsense terms of conditions somewhere. 200k might be a bit high, but I do remember reading a minimum somewhere. There's also adsense for the little guys but I've never looked into it indepth.

They probably aren't exactly storing who is typing what at other sites such as FB (bought by google, if you knew), sites that incorporate google tech into it. Maybe they log your ip for your search, but I doubt the data is kept really long because it is just useless logfiles only good for the duration they're conducted. Most ad choosing is processed right when the page is loaded, your inbox/chat words are used for further refining of the sensing tech.

However if you use gmail, little do you know your mail is private yes, but google has the terms and conditions that you allow them when you register to "use" your email secretly to help improve their searching and researching progress. I mean, they store all your data somewhere, free of charge with a ton of extras for you, in return they privately use what you have on there to help them earn cash. I would not be surprised this process works the same way with yahoo and hotmail, any other free email services out there. After all, how are they gonna earn money?

In the main googleplex, their headquarters in Mountain View, CA, there is a public display of what people are typing in that search box real-time live. Saw it and was slightly amused at some of the searches being conducted, it was ludicrous.

Google is by no way affiliated with the US government or any form of law enforcement services
. They fiercely support their user privacy (You'll see this in some of the YouTube lawsuits - google owns youtube also) , but if the Supreme Court really calls for them to pass out the info they have, then they do so only if it is the last option thing.

That pretty much sums up the google sensing section of surfing the net.
If it wasn't for google, you wouldn't be seeing all these "related links" on the page you're viewing out there.

I don't know, but my DNA is my personal privacy. It belong to me, not the gov't. What if they kept it to trace deaf people? don't people remember our constitution? when it will stop? I don't mind doctors and such getting access to my DNA, because it would be between me, the lab, and my doctor .And none of my information will go outside of that unless I request it. but What bothers me is the gov't since they can put us to jail and control our life.

How do you think the government collects statistics on illness and such? Anytime one has an ailment, it's automatically reported to the Health department along with the blood samples.

So? It's still the same thing if a person is a criminal or not. Your DNA has already been collected if you had donated blood to the Red Cross, doctor's office, etc.

No big deal. :roll:

So? It's still the same thing if a person is a criminal or not. Your DNA has already been collected if you had donated blood to the Red Cross, doctor's office, etc.

No big deal. :roll:

not to law enforcement agencies. to share confidential medical info with the agencies is a federal violation.

How do you think the government collects statistics on illness and such? Anytime one has an ailment, it's automatically reported to the Health department along with the blood samples.

if they got a hold of people's information, I want to put a stop at it.

Second, I don't mind doctors telling the department of health the NUMBER of people with certain illnesses in their area. As long as they don't attach our name to databases. And I feel that researches should be a private organization with the person's permission (a signed paper)I know that google keep a track of people researching illness symptoms and it is private. we have a choice not to search anything up there.

if they got a hold of people's information, I want to put a stop at it.

Second, I don't mind doctors telling the department of health the NUMBER of people with certain illnesses in their area. As long as they don't attach our name to databases. And I feel that researches should be a private organization with the person's permission (a signed paper)I know that google keep a track of people researching illness symptoms and it is private. we have a choice not to search anything up there.

It's actually coded.

Not only HIV/AIDS but other detrimental diseases that can threaten the welfare of the society. :roll:

Criminal or not--the government already has one's DNA.

67396-delete-key.jpg

Back