DJ who?

nobody456

Reaction score
If I got a CI in my left ear....would I hear music "better"? or "good enough" to DJ?

You don't necessarily need perfect hearing to dj...I'm sure with a ci and having direct audio input it would help. But it's also not just one song u listen to..the next song kicks in as well while the one that everyone hears is playing..if that makes sense. Also depends o what kind of dj-ing you're talking about. Club dj? Radio dj? My gf is a dj and she posts here sometimes I'll get her to give her input on the subject:)

Last edited:
I assume craigm26 you are comparing the potential benefit of a Cochlear Implant to what you have now-Hearing aid? It would be more than just a DJ position as it would affect everything-hearing wise. This is specific to you in discussions with the ENT doctor/audi that who deal with. Good luck.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

If I got a CI in my left ear....would I hear music "better"? or "good enough" to DJ?

It really all depends on what kind of hearing you have right now.

If you wear a HA in your better ear, and can hear in a certain range, the CI will allow you to hear more, but not all ranges.

If you put a CI in your "bad" ear like a lot of people do, the results may not be as good. (My surgeon learned this the hard way).

Were you born hearing or deaf?

I wore one hearing aid in my "better" ear after I lost my hearing at 4yo. 16 years later, I got a HA for my other side, seems to help me hear a little more. I was about 80% deaf in my right ear and 90% in my left. With the HA, I could hear voices & music, but not well enough to discriminate speech, and relied on reading lyrics while listening to music.

After I got the CI 17 years later, and got over the 6 month learning curve, I was able to hear a LOT more, and can hear more instruments with music, but still rely on reading lyrics. In fact, I think all CI users have to read lyrics too.

Really, for me, the best part of upgrading to a CI is the ability to enjoy music much, much more. All music sounds good to me...classical, instrumental, rock, pop, metal, R&B, except rap. All rap songs have the same beat and no variety. I picked up a guitar one day and plucked the strings...all humans have a built-in ability to respond to music, and I can pluck the strings for hours on end and it relaxes me. Hard to describe until you experience it.

As for being a "DJ"....picking a song to play is easy, as far as "making music"...I am sure you can do it with practice, but at the same time, I have my doubts....I know that I cannot produce quality music. (Beethoven did, so why can't we?)

I am sure some of the hearing "know-it-all's" on this site will chime in and tell you why I am wrong, etc....:roll:

Unfortunately for me, I was born deaf in the left ear and right ear is a v-shaped hearing loss of about 60db. Which means I hear trebles and bass much more profoundly than mid-range. However, I think I "enjoy" music as it is without recognizing sounds that are unknown to me. It'd be nice to know what kind of instrument is playing on a more enhanced level...?...

Beethoven wasn't born deaf and learned to create music before going deaf. I love patterns and I'm sure if I got some training in that area of music, I can make some good stuff. I started learning guitars in college, but didn't go into it completely. I'd rather have complete control of the timing because I don't think I can depend on myself just yet to work in a band.

I guess, the real dilemma is two-fold: make an investment in buying DJ equipment (to create music/CD's/messing about) and the possibilities that could show up with a CI. Would I be more receptive to certain qualities of song-creation with a CI?

I've considered getting a CI before, but didn't really place a great value on receiving it. In other words, I had no real specific reason to get one. These days, it's actually work that is becoming more of an issue. Conference calls suck.

I listen to trance/techno/house. Some Rock, classical and absolutely love the cello and violin.

And what is this direct audio input? Like a headphone jack?

And what is this direct audio input? Like a headphone jack?

You can plug an audio player (iPod, MP3, etc) directly into the CI using a small connector.

Music sounds much, much more clear this way. Funny thing is, when you listen to loud music on your CI, no one else in the same room will hear a damned thing. You can listen to Metallica in a library without bothering anyone...:lol:

If you plug your CI into a television output or a home theatre system output, the voices and background sounds are really clear compared to speakers.

You can plug an audio player (iPod, MP3, etc) directly into the CI using a small connector.

Music sounds much, much more clear this way. Funny thing is, when you listen to loud music on your CI, no one else in the same room will hear a damned thing. You can listen to Metallica in a library without bothering anyone...:lol:

If you plug your CI into a television output or a home theatre system output, the voices and background sounds are really clear compared to speakers.

Seriously???:eek3: :jaw:

that potentially allows for other applications when paired with a bluetooth compatible device.

that potentially allows for other applications when paired with a bluetooth compatible device.

We plug all sorts of things directly into the little one's CIs -- especially on car rides or when there's a lot of background noise: television, Mac, iPad, iPhone, video camera. On airplanes, where there's a tremendous amount of thundering engine noise, we use noise canceling headphones on top of her CIs, plugging them into something fun, like laptop or dvd player. I haven't discovered a way to use bluetooth, though, maybe because she already has the wireless bit going from transmitter to receiver. Once in a blue moon we use the personal mic, and I'll plug into her processors at a restaurant or something, but that's a real pain in the neck, she moves around a lot and the wires get tangled. But I'd love to see Bluetooth in action!

DAI - direct audio input, is also available for HAs ... my Phonak MAXX BTE have DAI via a shoe/boot... you just click the shoe/boot on, connect the cable (special cable with a 3 prong connector on the shoe/boot end and a headphone jack on the other) and then plug the headphone jack into any MP3 Player or anything else with a standard headphone jack (including many cordless phones, computers, tvs etc) and then the audio is directly sent to the HA (or CI) digitally (instead of acoustically being picked up by the mic) ... it makes a huge difference ... and for some people is the only way they are able to understand speech on phones (you use the HA DAI connected to the cordless phone to "listen" and then speak normally into the headset.

Hope that helps - if you already have HA(s) talk to your audie about trying a DAI shoe/boot and audio cable.

FYI - There are 3 types of shoe/boots :
1) MIC ON - the mic remains in the on position so you hear room sounds as well as the music etc you are listening to via the DAI cable)

2) MIC OFF - You ONLY hear what comes through the DAI connection - ie mp3, computer , tv etc but NOT any room sounds etc)

3) Adjustable ON/OFF ... the shoe/boot has a little switch/screw that you adjust to make it so the mic is ON or OFF ... this makes it a "2 in 1 shoe" so you have both options without having to buy two different shoes

If you have 2 HAs, I'd suggest getting the MIC OFF DAI cable. If you have only one HA, then you might want to get the MIC ON - or the 2-in-1 shoe if possible as it's sometimes good to be able to be at least a little aware of room noise (I can't really understand the room noise when listening DAI to music etc, however I'm aware there's "extra noise" if something happens which allows me to look up &/or hit "mute" on the mp3 player etc)

Hope that helps!!

I haven't tried it yet, but when I get my second CI put in next week and turned on in Jan, I plan to experiment with bluetooth stuff.

The audi asked me if I wanted a stereophonic cable, I said yes. It is supposed to be true stereo, a cable that connects to both CI's and has an input jack.

We shall see....

Yeah he had his nick name changed.. apparently after several posters including myself saying 'things' about his nick.

Ahh ! I was beginning to think there were twins here :lol: I think the first thing that I caught on was that he's always promoting the HLAA or other organizations. I did wonder why I was seeing the same type of posts.

Last edited:
I've attached a pic of what the phonak Hearing Aid DAI shoes/boots look like (the terms 'shoe' or 'boot' are used interchangeably and mean the same thing). There are a number of online stores including YourHearing.net that sell DAI boots, cables, various HA and CI accessories - I've never bought from yourhearing.net myself, however I've often used that site as a resource for find specific items (and manufacturer's product numbers) so that I can then order through my Audie (easier, since I'm in Canada - so I don't have to worry about shipping, duty fees etc)

I'd recommend buying at least your first DAI shoes/boots, cables etc from your Audie though - as the price is "fixed" and that way if you run into issues you're audie can help/exchange it, contact the manufacturer etc for you. Once you know for sure that you've got the right shoe etc for your specific HA (or CI) then I might consider ordering it online (or not ... )

Here's the yourhearing link to the DAI shoe brands they carry

Here's what my phonak DAI shoe looks like:
yhst-49897375075317_2134_22234906

Back