Dizziness after implantation

What?

Reaction score
I found out that I am a CI this past week. Now my mind is actively thinking about what my next step will be. My biggest concern is that I have bilateral Meniere's Disease and I worry that the implantion will result in vertigo issues.

For those that have been implanted, what was your experience with vertigo after the surgery? Even better, if someone has had an implant that suffers from Meniere's.

Thanks--Ryan (What?)

i had vertigo attacks several times in the last 6 mths. i just got CI op in march and switched on in april . so far no vertigo attacks. touch wood. drs say when we have CI op sometimes do help to get rid of vertigo. i havent had any since only one time that last 5 mins. very minor vertigo. so if i were you i wouldnt worry much about it. its not good for you to worry about it. let it go with the flow

I had my CI surgery last June and was activated in July I only had some dizziness for a few hours after I woke up from the surgery. I have not had a Vertigo attack in my left ear since April 2007 after my Sac surgery and my right since Feb 2005 after my Labyrinthectomy. My doctor said in a lot of his Meniere's cases the Tinnitus goes away with CI surgery but I was not so lucky but when I wear the processor it does mask it. Ryan you can't let the fear of a vertigo attack hold you back from this surgery.

Well good luck in your decision, Don

I have a friend (who I lost touch about 2 years ago :( ) who was implanted about 5years ago with a CI.
She had only very mild balance issues pre-implantation, however unfortunately since being implanted she has had some major balance and vertigo problems - that appear to be permanent.

Last that I heard from her the balance issues have improved somewhat and she does much better during the day now, however at night she uses a cane because her balance is bad enough that she was tripping, stumbling and even falling in the night.
The problems at night/ in the dark are because she has to rely more on her eyes to help her stay balanced and of course it's harder to see the ground clearly in the dark.

I haven't talked to her in a while - however as far as I know she's still having issues.

She has said that even when her balance problems where at the worst, that she's glad she went ahead with the CI - and that for her lifestyle the balance problem was a small price to pay for the hearing she gained.

FWIW her situation is more the exception it seems than the rule. I would strongly recommend that you talk to some Audiologists, and Drs who specialize in both CIs and Meniere's to get the most accurate answers you can regarding outcomes.

The inner ear problem is the basic reason to cause vertigo. The best way of reducing it or avoiding it is the some basic exercises.

If CI is helpful in reducing vertigo its quite good. But I still recommend for exercises as it helps in minimizing the chances of other diseases like Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), labyrinthitis, and Meniere's disease.

Regards

The inner ear problem is the basic reason to cause vertigo. The best way of reducing it or avoiding it is the some basic exercises.

If CI is helpful in reducing vertigo its quite good. But I still recommend for exercises as it helps in minimizing the chances of other diseases like Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), labyrinthitis, and Meniere's disease.

Regards

what?

I get virtigo pretty easily. I went and stood up while waiting for my mom to get the car and got totally dizzy and felt like I was going to throw up. Sat down, closed my eyes, put my arms on my stomach and did a little breathing.

I had four major episodes of vertigo a year after the implantation - I don't know if it's the implant or the viral infection though so I cannot say.

I have a friend (who I lost touch about 2 years ago :( ) who was implanted about 5years ago with a CI.
She had only very mild balance issues pre-implantation, however unfortunately since being implanted she has had some major balance and vertigo problems - that appear to be permanent.

Last that I heard from her the balance issues have improved somewhat and she does much better during the day now, however at night she uses a cane because her balance is bad enough that she was tripping, stumbling and even falling in the night.
The problems at night/ in the dark are because she has to rely more on her eyes to help her stay balanced and of course it's harder to see the ground clearly in the dark.

I haven't talked to her in a while - however as far as I know she's still having issues.

She has said that even when her balance problems where at the worst, that she's glad she went ahead with the CI - and that for her lifestyle the balance problem was a small price to pay for the hearing she gained.

FWIW her situation is more the exception it seems than the rule. I would strongly recommend that you talk to some Audiologists, and Drs who specialize in both CIs and Meniere's to get the most accurate answers you can regarding outcomes.
I have severe balance problems Menieres among other things, abscess on the brain, all caused problem, Since C.Implant balance HAS WORSENED..but Its stick or electric scooter now, but even electric scooter with bumps in pavements etc. it makes it uncomfortable ride, so its slow down and avoid holes and bumps...

But big Yes It has worsened, and when it feels OK, its like having big hangover now.

Back