Discriminated again...

Robb, Copy that conversation between you two. This is evidence and you may use it against them. To make them look bad.

When I moved here in michigan from california about a week and half later and I got hired. Other trainer(s) who concerned about me being a DEAF. They were like how can you hear if customers talk to you. I told them that I m lipreading very well, but it doesn't mean deaf people CAN'T have a job because they can't hear? No they can DO it. If I have a problem then I would call coordinator to come. They said *mmm I like your attitude,* after I said *Deaf people CAN do anything except hear*

Originally posted by eternity
Robb, Copy that conversation between you two. This is evidence and you may use it against them. To make them look bad.

When I moved here in michigan from california about a week and half later and I got hired. Other trainer(s) who concerned about me being a DEAF. They were like how can you hear if customers talk to you. I told them that I m lipreading very well, but it doesn't mean deaf people CAN'T have a job because they can't hear? No they can DO it. If I have a problem then I would call coordinator to come. They said *mmm I like your attitude,* after I said *Deaf people CAN do anything except hear*

heh dreama - yeah u got them !!! ;)

:angel: yup yup i never had gotten any discriminated by anybody, coz i m too sweet to be discriminated....

It's discrimination, plain and simple. Go see a lawyer or legal aid consultant, to make sure this is an infraction of ADA. I'm pretty sure it is.

Don't let those bastards get away with it! Go SUE their fuckin' asses!!!:twisted:

well, how about this - tell rehab to get you an interp cuz it is job related or you can request an interpreter from Norcal (a center for the deaf)... I dont know what you call it over there.....rehab is the best one to go to about job related discrimination, it is probably the people dont understand what is going on, you have have rehab help explain it and tell that an interp can be provided. worth a try?

SUE THEIR FRIGGIN' ASSES!!! I am a professional gourmet chef and I have worked in places where high calling is required but have worked around that system to work effiecently with the Hearies. I do not understnd why they are being such pricks! In fact, a bar here in Rochester NY called, "The Steel" is owned by a hearing man and yet, he wanted deaf bartenders. I wanted to apply but the distance was too great for me, and does not run on bus route.

If I had my way, I would have gone over there and show them my big sassy ass and whack them upside their head and make them lick my muddy shoes just to show them, my dominatrix bitchy side on a good day!

I was once discriminated from my currently job, this happen when I was hired. They put me to work on the salefloor which I asked that I want to work as a cashier, which they refused, I show them my job application that I was hired for cashier, not salefloor. So they say fine and gonna give me two days to see if being deaf and cashier can work it out... Within an hour I learned everything at once compared to a hearing person learned everything in one day... I told them in some way deaf work better than hearing people... it's true for SOME people...

Robb,

It happened to me and ure not only one. I called Pro Shop (Bowling) and wants to have a bowling lesson. The guy hung up on me 3 or 4 times so i called the front desk and notify them that i am deaf and would like to have lessons so the guy in front desk walked to pro shop and told him so the front desk said i can call pro shop so, i called pro shop guy again so he answered it and i told him why did u hung up on me 3 or 4 times then he replied, I didnt not then HE HUNG UP!!!!! I got furious so i called the ADA and request the paperwork. I emailed the pro shop and told him that i will have a lawsuit against him and his organization. He seems really scared so he apologized 2 or 3 times. He offered me free lesson which it values at $25 dollars for 30 mins. Its very expensive bowling lesson. The next day i went to see him and he was VERY friendlier and helped me thru the lesson, it was like 45 mins of lesson and he fixed my finger grip for NO CHARGE. My messages to all deaf people who went thru that frustrations, TAKE A CHARGE!! do not back off.. Do something about it and dont be afraid!! Speak Out!

Mr Sandman

Originally posted by Pure Ion
I was just discriminated against by an educational institute for bartending. I called this place to see how much the bartending training classes were, they hung up on me. I thought that they thought I was a telemarketer so I called back again. They said I said that I wasn't interested, they hung up again. So I had the operator announce that I was a customer first thing instead of this is the NYRS blah blah. They said "If you can't hear, you can't work in a bar" and then hung up right after that. It pissed me off big time, now I'm mulling whether to go to the authorities or just fuck it.

You are not the only one. I got my bartending school fees refunded because they don't want to provide interpreters.

hey if i were you i would walk my ass in ther with a lawyer and tel them that if they don't offer the course to you then u will sue. law said that they don't have to pay if for an interpreter if they can't afford one. but the state would pay.

Originally posted by eternity
nozobo-- Are you current work as cashier?
yes I'm still am working as cashier @ SuperTarget for more than a year and 4 month... I'm thinking about quitting my current job and find other job for summer temporary job...

Supertarget only hired "disabled or handicapped" people to gain tax credit and meet the legal quota for hiring employees. I would know because I worked there.

Doesn't that just suck when they hire you for what you are and not for what you can do?

Yeah, thats probably why Sears hired me without any problem. They have this "social program" where they link with United Way to hire disabled ppl or whatever. But yeah, I was discriminated in Sears. They originally wanted to interview me for a security personel position, but changed that to put me as a merchandise and stockroom associate. They wouldn't let me use a forklift, and used the OSHA bylaws as an excuse saying that have to get special equipments before I can use a forklift. I am like "Get real, I drive a car, what's the difference?" I have threatened to quit because of the hypocritcal attitudes they have.

Yeah you should call them through internet relay (www.sprintrelayonline.com) and after you got what they say about dont want you to work in the bar because of your deafies. Then you can print the communication you had through relay. You can use that as evidence to prove what they have told you. Make sure you dont type at same time as relay typing. You need to wait for relay to finish typing then you take a turn to type because if you and relay type at the same time it will mess up the sentence on print paper. ALSO make sure you dont press DELETE just press XXX for wrong word because if you press DELETE then it make it much harder to read and make correct word on print. The printer print different than what you see on screen with relay. Be carefully with typing when you talk with bartender. Also it would be best idea to call them at least three times with different relay service number and different date. So you can prove it that there is no way the relay make mistake of typing or hearing wrong. It will be like three witnesses of relay service that heard the same thing. That is my offer you to do that as extra evidence if you DESIRE to SUE them and KICK THEIR ASS. I love to teach hearing people's lesson and kick their ass when they dont respect deaf people equal.

Back