Disability

HOH Guy

Reaction score
Has anyone here that has severe to profound hearing loss applied for disability? How did it go? & How much weight did you Audi's input have on the decision?

Because I always managed to work they denied my disability. (Didn't matter that I was paid less) My deafness is profound but they considered the fact that I worked as not being eligible for disability. Yet when I went to college I qualified for help from the Handicap Social Work program in my state. Crazy. I wish you good luck. It may depend on your state. For awhile my state allowed me to claim my deafness but the feds would not allow it. Now I can no longer claim my deafness for an additional allowance in my state, it ended in 2016.

Has anyone here that has severe to profound hearing loss applied for disability? How did it go? & How much weight did you Audi's input have on the decision?
Because I always managed to work they denied my disability. (Didn't matter that I was paid less) My deafness is profound but they considered the fact that I worked as not being eligible for disability. Yet when I went to college I qualified for help from the Handicap Social Work program in my state. Crazy. I wish you good luck. It may depend on your state. For awhile my state allowed me to claim my deafness but the feds would not allow it. Now I can no longer claim my deafness for an additional allowance in my state, it ended in 2016.

My impression is that it's damn near impossible to get SSDI for hearing loss. I've never tried, as so far I haven't needed to. But with my hearing dropping dramatically in recent months I did look into it. I didn't pursue trying to get it, but simply did some research. I have complete loss in one ear, and a 100db loss in the other.

There are thresholds listed in the criteria, but it doesn't seem as if that is enough. If they determine that there is anything you can do, then you'll be denied. But theoretically being able to do something, and actually being able to do that in Real Life is often different. People in Real Life are often far less accommodating than they are in some fantasy world.

My impression is that it's damn near impossible to get SSDI for hearing loss. I've never tried, as so far I haven't needed to. But with my hearing dropping dramatically in recent months I did look into it. I didn't pursue trying to get it, but simply did some research. I have complete loss in one ear, and a 100db loss in the other.

There are thresholds listed in the criteria, but it doesn't seem as if that is enough. If they determine that there is anything you can do, then you'll be denied. But theoretically being able to do something, and actually being able to do that in Real Life is often different. People in Real Life are often far less accommodating than they are in some fantasy world.
I wish you were wrong! I really do wish you were wrong! But unfortunately, the government doesn't think our issues are significant enough. Your best bet may be to find a lawyer to fight for benefits, but then again it could be fruitless. Because my deafness was lifelong as a HoH, the government branches for Disability decided that I was not disabled in any way since I have worked. The so called ACLU basically denied that there were any problems with my wages or treatment while working. Office for Handicappers did help a wee bit but not enough to get the results that were needed. Hugs.

Back