Direct Audio Input (DAI)

cdmeggers

Reaction score
Does anyone here use DAI to listen to their music, phone, etc.? Just curious how well this works. I use Hatis Epic and t-coil on my hearing aid to listen to music, but I do get electrical sounds/buzzing when I'm near computers and stuff.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry)

I do use DAI for listening to musis. As a matter of fact, I've been listening to music while riding the train past few hours. The cord plugs directly into my hearing aids boots. No interference of any kind. Is very nice to pass the time.

I just got DAI this year and it's the best thing ever, in fact I never wore any of my other hearing aids all day, they were insufficiently helpful. DAI has given me a whole new world. I can actually hear some people on some phone calls with the DAI plugged in. Wow. It doesn't compare a bit to Tcoil listening, all that buzzing, terrible connection. When I had a problem with my DAI aids and had to go back and use my Tcoil one I found I had to wrap the "neck" loop directly around my ears to get a signal half as good! If the capability is already there then the small investment in audio shoes and an extra cable is well worth making, IMHO.

I have a DAI - and it's great, definitely worth having :)

excellent! thanks for the feedbacks. Will check into this. The Hatis Epic does work (despite there still being buzzing cause it's still telecoil), but if I can eliminate the buzzing, even better!

I just got DAI this year and it's the best thing ever, in fact I never wore any of my other hearing aids all day, they were insufficiently helpful. DAI has given me a whole new world. I can actually hear some people on some phone calls with the DAI plugged in. Wow. It doesn't compare a bit to Tcoil listening, all that buzzing, terrible connection. When I had a problem with my DAI aids and had to go back and use my Tcoil one I found I had to wrap the "neck" loop directly around my ears to get a signal half as good! If the capability is already there then the small investment in audio shoes and an extra cable is well worth making, IMHO.

Can't you have HAs that provide both DAI and T-coils, mine do and I'm also British and use the NHS?

Wirelessly posted (Sidekick LX 2009 - carbon)

I use DAI listen to music and phone. It is benefits me very well. I don't hear any buzzing in it.

Can't you have HAs that provide both DAI and T-coils, mine do and I'm also British and use the NHS?

Yes - you can have T-coil and DAI on a HA :)

I think the previous poster was comparing listening to the phone etc using the HA switched the Tcoil mode, verses how clear the sound is if you plug into something directly using DAI (with the audio boot/shoe and cable)

I don't think you can use Tcoil and DAI at the same time on a single HA since the DAI connection "overrides" everything else when the Audio shoe/boot is clicked in place etc

Yes - you can have T-coil and DAI on a HA :)

I think the previous poster was comparing listening to the phone etc using the HA switched the Tcoil mode, verses how clear the sound is if you plug into something directly using DAI (with the audio boot/shoe and cable)

I don't think you can use Tcoil and DAI at the same time on a single HA since the DAI connection "overrides" everything else when the Audio shoe/boot is clicked in place etc

I know you can have HAs with T-coil and DAI, I have two in my ears!!!

I was just trying to point out to Rose that the NHS in Britain, where we both live, can provide her with HAs which have both T-coil and DAI.

You are exactly right that you can not use both functions at the same time because the audio shoe does override everything else.

I was just trying to point out to Rose that the NHS in Britain, where we both live, can provide her with HAs which have both T-coil and DAI.

I am confused, I have hearing aids which have Tcoil and DAI on them, they are NHS aids. I am not sure what part of the post made it sound like I didn't know they exist, I was talking about when my main aids failed and I had to fall back on a pair that are old spares and have only Tcoil on them. In any case I find the DAI so superior to the Tcoil that although I do have both I use the DAI every day and the Tcoil less than 3 times in 6 months, so I know which one I'd rather go without!

I am confused, I have hearing aids which have Tcoil and DAI on them, they are NHS aids. I am not sure what part of the post made it sound like I didn't know they exist, I was talking about when my main aids failed and I had to fall back on a pair that are old spares and have only Tcoil on them. In any case I find the DAI so superior to the Tcoil that although I do have both I use the DAI every day and the Tcoil less than 3 times in 6 months, so I know which one I'd rather go without!

I thought that your post implied that you used different HAs for DAI and T-coil.

Hi, is there a website you can point me to so I can look over what you guys are talking about? Thanks....

I know you can have HAs with T-coil and DAI, I have two in my ears!!!

You are exactly right that you can not use both functions at the same time because the audio shoe does override everything else.

To clarify - I meant I don't think you can have DAI & T coil ON at the same time (connected) because when you connect the audio shoe/boot it automatically routes the signal through there.

I know that you can have both Tcoil and DAI connections on a single hearing aid, I have that on mine :)

I would be interested to know which hearing aids that you can have a DAI boot attached without having the DAI switched on. On my Siemens NHS aid you are locked into DAI mode if you have audioshoes attached. You can press the program button to cycle FM, FM+M or M, but you have to physically take off the shoes to use other programs. I wear radio aid receivers on my audioshoes and I like to just leave them there all day because I am not good at handling fiddly objects, I don't want to drop them. So I cannot use the Tcoil at all, because the audioshoes are there.

My understanding is that with Phonaks you can still cycle into the other programs even with an audioshoe or design-integrated FM connected. It will jump into DAI when you attach the shoe (which can be turned off in iPFG) but you can still override that. Is this true, can you leave a pair of FM receivers on the aid all day and still use the Tcoil program? Not to listen to both at the same time, but to not have to remove the physical audioshoe in order to use Tcoil.

Any other aids which allow this flexibility?

am currently experimenting with DAI on my hearing aid.. found the shoe from when I had the FM, and plugged a cord (the one that came with my Phonak T-Mic FM transmitter for plugging into ipods/computers/etc.) into it. It does work, but wow the music is pretty quiet. It doesn't help to turn the volume up on the ipod since that just distorts the music. Hmmm! My Hatis Epic wiring is getting bad once again and that really interferes with music listening. I would have to get the audie to boost the volume on the FM setting for the DAI. something I'll have to think about.

Poor volume on the DAI program does seem to be an issue, actually. The newer aids are supposed to have something in the technology that helps the system decide what volume of input it should take, but sometimes that seems to be nonsense! I need to turn my TV up to volume 38 to make my audio input lead recognise that there is any sound present at all! My husband watches at 21.

I wouldn't want a hearing aid deciding what volume is acceptable! Will discuss this issue with the audie when I see him again next week.

My DAI volume is very low too (I don't use it much because of that) ... according to my audiologist things like DAI & the HATIS systems work MUCH better for those with mod-severe/profound loss and not very well on mild-mod loss. The reason is because of the amount of power the HA has.

For some HA the volume of DAI and TCoil may be able to be adjusted in the programming - in my case my entry level Phonak MAXX doesn't allow for separating volume settings for Mic, TCoil & DAI ... it only has a global setting, the problem with that is that most people need the TCoil and DAI setting to be 10-20db louder in order for it to sound the SAME volume as the mic **frustrating**

I'm hoping that when I get my next HA that the programming will allow for separate volume settings for the mic and TCoil (or TCoil/DAI)

yeah, the tcoil volume is perfect for me, the volume on my ipod isn't even at halfway with the tcoil Hatis.. but DAI, it's maxed out and sounds terrible haha. I'm hoping we can get DAI working well enough, since my Hatis is not working so well anymore (wiring issues). If DAI still doesn't work out, I'll just splurge for the uh.. MusicLink? is that what it's called? Cheaper than the Hatis.

Check your DAI. Mine has a very, very, very tiny ?screw? that can be turned to adjust them. You have to have a very, very, very tiny screwdriver (maybe an eyeglass screwdriver will work). I remember going to a model train store to see if they had something small enough, but I can't remember now where I got my screwdriver.

Back