Difference between deaf people living in US and UK.

UK'er

Reaction score
What are the differences between them?

Are the deaf culture the same?

Which deaf people from those countries are better equipped for hearing world?

Which country provides more support for its deaf people?

Is education for deaf people in both countries good?

And many more questions I'll be asking later in thread.

I have no idea but all i know when UK kids went to gally. I hang out with them and feel the same. You can ask those uk kids who went to gally that they can tell you about it.

^ I also met an American friend they said it was different.
Oh, please tell any interesting points you find in American deaf culture and English deaf culture if you do find any.

Your thread may be good but how can some of us who have not been in UK or associate with Uk kids to give you feedbacks, i can't. I have never been in UK. Im in USA/Deaf culture all my life.

Your thread may be good but how can some of us who have not been in UK or associate with Uk kids to give you feedbacks, i can't. I have never been in UK. Im in USA/Deaf culture all my life.

What about if we exchange the information? Building up each other's knowledge.

I plan to visit the UK, so I would love to know what cultural differences there are.

US use ASL, UK use BSL

Same pride for being deaf

US have better accessible include videophone than UK does, however, there are some what UK does what US don't.

USA!

I would said German is better than us

I await for you... boo-yah!

UK'er - Have you read Dr Paddy Ladd's 'Understanding Deaf Culture'? He's a UK Deaf person but has worked in the US lecturing at Gallaudet University.

IMO, when looking at any sub culture of a country you first need to look at the differences between cultures of the countries themselves because a sub culture is an extension of it's parent culture and is the reason it is formed.

US use ASL, UK use BSL

Same pride for being deaf

US have better accessible include videophone than UK does, however, there are some what UK does what US don't.

USA!

I would said German is better than us

I await for you... boo-yah!
Shame it's not enough for my coursework.
UK'er - Have you read Dr Paddy Ladd's 'Understanding Deaf Culture'? He's a UK Deaf person but has worked in the US lecturing at Gallaudet University.
Nope, I only know John Hay, he's lecturer in Wolverhampton Uni but he usually goes to Gallaudet Uni.
IMO, when looking at any sub culture of a country you first need to look at the differences between cultures of the countries themselves because a sub culture is an extension of it's parent culture and is the reason it is formed.
Would be watching the YT videos enough?

USA drinks piss beer and coffee.
UK drinks real beer and tea.

USA calls it football.
UK calls it football.
both is different sport.

USA police siren sounds cool.
UK police siren sounds funny.

Just from this forum and YT videos, I think US deaf people generally are more isolated from hearing world than UK'ers. So, this deaf culture is important to them.

As for UK deaf people, we have our own deaf culture, but we are also usually assimilated to hearing people, and thus the reason why you usually see hearing people at deaf events, it's because deaf event-goer usually bring their hearing friend with them.

We also go to hearing events and make our own small group walking around the event and making new hearing friends.

Despite the fact that there is no "deaf" uni in UK, although there is deaf-only college as well as deaf sixth form. But majority of deaf who are not associated with being mentally retarded go to state college.

I think videophone thing doesn't (Well, almost) exist in UK because we almost always communicate each others in normal means, this means texting. Deaf people in UK rely on the knowledge of English language more than US does.

All I understand that US have ADA to protect that we're able to have job and earn our living. I learn much about Korea and they're not hiring deaf at most of the time.

All I understand that US have ADA to protect that we're able to have job and earn our living. I learn much about Korea and they're not hiring deaf at most of the time.

DDA is similar to ADA and we also can apply for "Access for work" if we ever need to have an interpreter for in workplaces (Temporary).

I think videophone thing doesn't (Well, almost) exist in UK because we almost always communicate each others in normal means, this means texting. Deaf people in UK rely on the knowledge of English language more than US does.

We don't have VRS in UK because it cost too much to set it up because UK is tiny compare to US so means less deaf people there. And because government keeps on about TextRelay is there for deaf. If there was VRS in UK, deaf will use it cos they wanted it for long time.

Back