Did you know?

[begin rant on education]

That's because our schools are so focused on having students pass tests in reading and math (which they still can't pass) that they don't teach them anything else. And they cut budgets.

I was a science teacher before I became a homeschool mom. When I went on maternity leave, my principal hired a history teacher as my sub. And didn't see that as a problem. Those kids didn't learn anything valuable for 6 weeks! (He was not even a particularly good history teacher; he had subbed for our history teacher earlier in the year.)

Watch out, because NSF will probably use this survey as evidence that we need to use the science version of common core curriculum. (I forgot what's it's called, but my state is adopting it.)

[end rant on education]

I have same feeling about bad professors at college. :(

I was actually very lucky to have some really good teacher but same time i did have some that just....ugh, dont know how they became teachers. They try to put so much focus on english and math that they forget other subjects are important too. Having saod that...now its time we join north korea and go land in the sun.

[begin rant on education]

That's because our schools are so focused on having students pass tests in reading and math (which they still can't pass) that they don't teach them anything else. And they cut budgets.

I was a science teacher before I became a homeschool mom. When I went on maternity leave, my principal hired a history teacher as my sub. And didn't see that as a problem. Those kids didn't learn anything valuable for 6 weeks! (He was not even a particularly good history teacher; he had subbed for our history teacher earlier in the year.)

Watch out, because NSF will probably use this survey as evidence that we need to use the science version of common core curriculum. (I forgot what's it's called, but my state is adopting it.)

[end rant on education]

My two daughters are still in college. One finishing up at UC Davis, other getting her Masters at Trinity College, Dublin Ireland. All through their education Science and Math were pushed hard on female students.

In 8th grade my oldest daughter won a summer internship to Stanford for science. She is now getting her masters in Environmental Science & Law. Younger daughter was getting her degree in Astrophysics but has since changed to Web Design.

We tried our best to make learning fun for them. Always finding ways to play educational games while traveling. Funny, they use to love to pick an encyclopedia for their bedtime stories. Ahhh the good times, they grow up way too fast.

Maybe they should ask questions like ....

What weighs more - a pound of feathers or a pound of steel?

I loved it when Groucho asked a guest on his show what color was George Washington's motorcycle and the person was trying to think of the color.

I loved it when Groucho asked a guest on his show what color was George Washington's motorcycle and the person was trying to think of the color.

I knwo the answer!!!!It was red, white and blue!!!! *sigh*Idk how someone could have difficulty witht hat question

bug-eyed-cat.jpg

That is a frighteningly accurate depiction of what a cat looks like when you try to dress them up!
Dog's are much more tolerant!

You know this reminds me of going to KFC with my oldest who is allergic to milk. She asked the guy at the register if there was milk in the potato's...... He said no but there is butter. He was totally serious that she should be able to eat it. I asked him what school he went too and it was the top school in our area. yeah this is why I homeschool my kids.

That remind me of years ago I went into a clothing store to buy some gloves and I told the saleswoman that I DID NOT want leather gloves . She came back with leather gloves and I repeated that didn't want leather and the saleswoman said " But these are lined with rabbit fur!" If I didn't want to wear leather why would I want to wear rabbit fur???

Very true, but I think that is only half the reason.....the other half is because today's generation of children do not give a crap. Parents either are too overworked to care, or as I have seen, don't give a crap either.

As a teacher, you should know.....after all, how many parents showed up to discuss their child's education with you on those parent-teacher conferences? About 25%?

I have a 16 year old daughter in high school, she takes advanced courses, but has no clue as to where 75% of the states are located on a map. Knows nothing about the solar system. Those subjects are not discussed in school in our area apparently. On top of that, no one talks about it, so why should she care?

...I have a 16 year old daughter in high school, she takes advanced courses, but has no clue as to where 75% of the states are located on a map. Knows nothing about the solar system. Those subjects are not discussed in school in our area apparently. On top of that, no one talks about it, so why should she care?
Weren't those subjects covered in elementary school?

As a parent, when did you realize that your daughter didn't know these things?

When you say that "no one talks about it" do you include yourself?

Just asking.

I was actually very lucky to have some really good teacher but same time i did have some that just....ugh, dont know how they became teachers. They try to put so much focus on english and math that they forget other subjects are important too. Having saod that...now its time we join north korea and go land in the sun.
I can understand the emphasis on English, so students can read their text books and write their papers, and math, which is a basic building block for later courses. However, that doesn't mean other subjects should be ignored.

I recently got a new phone and felt frustrated. You see, with my old phone, I would easily copy and paste any phone numbers so that I would text anyone. However, I wouldn't figure how to do it on my new phone. The T mobile store by me told me to just write down the phone number and then text the person.

WTF?? I asked a technical question and I got a stone age answer!!!

My family members 1 out of 4 lack common sense. It does make sense atfer all. Wouldnt be surprised if one of mine said the world was flat. This is same genetic line that has churned out doctors ceos and hard working folks.

I think our school systems are going backwards instead of foward. It doesn't seem to be getting better any time soon.

I am so glad my 10 year old loves reading her books. Kids now a days are so fixated in computer games and watching TV. At least my kid is reading a few books a week.

I just hope her school don't drop the ball, as I know how bad the education system has gotten lately. It's actually sad.

Thinking back at my one job I had. The owner had a daughter who was 28 years old. He told me that she doesn't know how to read an 'analog' clock. She can read digital. I thought he was kidding me, til I asked her what time it was, since the kitchen 'analog clock' was around the corner from where I was and in her view. She had to go to the microwave and read the time. :shock: After she gave me the time, she came back to me. I pointed to the 'analog' clock and asked her what it says. She looked at it confused and said 'I don't know'.

So sad, so very sad.

...Thinking back at my one job I had. The owner had a daughter who was 28 years old. He told me that she doesn't know how to read an 'analog' clock. She can read digital. I thought he was kidding me, til I asked her what time it was, since the kitchen 'analog clock' was around the corner from where I was and in her view. She had to go to the microwave and read the time. :shock: After she gave me the time, she came back to me. I pointed to the 'analog' clock and asked her what it says. She looked at it confused and said 'I don't know'.

So sad, so very sad.
Wow! :shock:

Weren't those subjects covered in elementary school?

As a parent, when did you realize that your daughter didn't know these things?

When you say that "no one talks about it" do you include yourself?

Just asking.

You are more than welcome to watch her and I get into it. Been going on for a few years now.

Good for you Green427!! Smiles here.. I see friends doing the same things with their kids. It is all part of it.

Actually I am not so smart. I think the kid did good saying but there is butter. It shows he knew that butter and milk are associated and all of that. Maybe he did not say it quite right but the information needed was there. That is as good a communication I get anywhere with any age without asking further questions.

Back