Did you know that people who suffer hearing loss are more prone to developing dementia?

Hearing loss exacerbates the symptoms of Alzheimer's and dementia. Therefore it is very important to take care of your hearing loss. Don't risk becoming socially isolated due to not wanting to wear hearing aids. My aunt was in her late 60's and was unable to hear properly. But she didn't pay attention towards this which lead to dementia. Later she was treated with hearing aids but was shifted to dementia care Morris NJ to enjoy in the proper and healthy environment.

If I recall right, deafness exacerbates risk for Alzheimer's and dementia because it creates social isolation. There is a relationship between social isolation and Alzheimer's.

This risk is reduced in people who have structured their lives around high quality social interaction and communication in tandem with their deafness.

So protecting hearing is one thing, but focusing on your social interaction is crucial.

I used to know - but I forgot.

Seriously, my biggest issue with HOH is isolation. You get isolated from enough conversations and you probably don't think about as many things. Dimentia following continuous isolation really doesn't surprise me.

I wonder - if you break down people with HL into 2 goups:
  • those who started concentrating more on things that had to think about and
  • those who simply use their mind less
is one group or the other more prone to being dementiatized?

I try to keep my mind really busy by
  • learning ASL
  • Reading about philosophy and religion
  • REEEAAALLLYYY THINKING about philosophy and religion.
  • Singing Karaoke when no one is around (I sound much better now that I'm HOH)
  • Reading weird things on the internet.
  • learning ASL
So, while waiting for the inevitable, do everything you can while you can because "Time is a thief when you're undecided!" (Rod Stewart)

I can imagine that food plays a huge factor here and of course keeping going and communicate with others too

I had a friend who died from Alzimers. She was deaf blind due to usher syndrome. I don't know if there was any connection though.

This is so funny that I find this post today. Just had a Doctors appointment yesterday for general stuff and out of the blue my Doctor brings up dementia (I also have high blood pressure). Which shocked me. I'm a bit coming from a different situation as I'm late Deaf-Blind (started age 35) . Slow progression and 10 years in got to the point where I was totally Deaf and legally Blind. At that point I went down hill fast. became depressed and anxiety ridden. Reclusive in the extrema. Confused by most things. From the outside I most definitely appeared strange or in dementia. I'm 53 now and finally coming out of it. Found support and being far more active helps so much. I still suffer from left over mental scars because of all the deep depression and fear I went through. but I think I'm a happy guy now. Esp. since I got an Cochlear Implant this past Jan. So I can attest to the fact that getting out and being with others. Finding support and being physically healthy goes a long way. Just found it funny that my Doctor brought this up and now I understand after reading the orig. post, why. I don't think I'm close to being in dementia but can see how that may appear so.

I lost my hearing about two years ago. I don't go out and just stay at home. I have lots of anxiety and depression. Now, that I see I could get dementia it scares me. I am young right now but I don't want to look forward to dementia.

A lot of things happen when you get dementia, but I forget what they are.

I lost my hearing about two years ago. I don't go out and just stay at home. I have lots of anxiety and depression. Now, that I see I could get dementia it scares me. I am young right now but I don't want to look forward to dementia.

I assume that it is the lack of communication that speeds up dementia, not the hearing loss. This means you should learn sign language and go out and meet people. There are treatments for anxiety and depression, so go and get help for that.

I have not heard anything that would indicate that Deaf people who are socially active would have any increased risk for dementia. Just people with hearing loss who are not included socially due to the hearing loss.

I am starting to learn to sign. It isn't easy for me. I had meningitis and now my thinking process is much slower. It is hard for me to focus and remember as well. It is very frustrating.

In the meantime keep yourself busy... read, do puzzles (Jigsaw, crossword, sudoku), find an activity that will keep you occupied and mind busy.

Dementia is a condition affecting individuals mainly above 65 years of age, which is caused by memory loss and other mental inabilities. Currently, dementia has no known effective cure, making it a high risk and highly expensive disease to manage.

A report by Commission on Dementia Prevention, Intervention and Care shows that there are nine age related factors that cause dementia. Key among factors is hearing loss. Managing hearing loss is one of the ways one can lower the chances of developing dementia. The key nine factors that lead to development of dementia are...

Read more: https://www.hearex.com/blogs/news/research-shows-hearing-loss-as-a-major-cause-for-dementia

What do you guys think? Many of you here are deaf, so have you personally experienced some type of memory loss or dementia, or know anyone who did?

I was born with hearing loss but was also remarkably intelligent. I've been in MENSA for years. Medical science is not and will never be an exact science. The most common factor leading to dementia is chronic concussions (chronic traumatic encephalopathy). Athletes are common candidates but not the only ones for that. I can name many other Deaf people that are highly intelligent. There are also medications (this is a fact) that can cause dementia as well. One is a newer quit smoking medication. Another is allegedly the most commonly prescribed due to "the least amount of side effects" for antiepileptics. That's a bunch of bs. I'm not making any of this up. Published articles on public health databases can prove this. My dad died with perfect hearing and nothing much of memory. I have a normal memory and I'm medically and legally deaf. I'm adopted so he's not my blood relative. I can name other normal hearing people who qualify as dementia/alzheimer's type cases and Deaf that do not. Many many people that never lost their hearing that are demented because of just my first job.

Back