Did insensitivity, lack of attention cost him his job?

Ah, miscommunication. Lots of misunderstanding went on there and that made him lose a job. I think they should have hired someone to teach/explain the employees about deaf/blind culture and sign language when they have a deaf/blind employer.
My job agency hired an ASL instructor, we both explained about deaf culture to my co-workers. That really helped a lot. I was surprise that in the article, it didn't say anything about having someone teach about our 'ways' so that way they won't get confused nor wrong idea about us.

This happened in Utah. Deaf258 knows him, and said he is a nice person. Any comments on this, Deaf258?

e said:
Ah, miscommunication. Lots of misunderstanding went on there and that made him lose a job. I think they should have hired someone to teach/explain the employees about deaf/blind culture and sign language when they have a deaf/blind employer.
My job agency hired an ASL instructor, we both explained about deaf culture to my co-workers. That really helped a lot. I was surprise that in the article, it didn't say anything about having someone teach about our 'ways' so that way they won't get confused nor wrong idea about us.

It doesn't matter, E. Stephen had an interpreter there and there's his wife who also explained how it is different for a Deaf-Blind than a seeing Deaf person to interact with other people: "Sighted and hearing people really don't understand facial expressions among the deaf," said Ehrlich's wife, Jana. "Facial expressions are their voice inflections, and they will often look a lot more agitated than they really are because they're trying to make a point.". They tried everything, explained everything over and over again, and everything failed. So, Stephen decided to go public. The article says: "He added that going public with his story isn't an attempt to embarrass the state nor the discount chain but to help educate people about the deaf-blind culture." This situation with Walmart in Utah has been ongoing for a while now. Just to show you what big corps actually think of their Deaf employees.

I think that's true, that many hearing people do misinterpret deaf people's facial expressions and body language. I think that hearing people should make an effort to try and place themselves in the other person's shoes and see how it would feel. Take a course in sign language or try and visualise being blind to help put themselves in their shoes and therefore understand their needs better.

Ziusudra said:
I think that's true, that many hearing people do misinterpret deaf people's facial expressions and body language. I think that hearing people should make an effort to try and place themselves in the other person's shoes and see how it would feel. Take a course in sign language or try and visualise being blind to help put themselves in their shoes and therefore understand their needs better.

That also applies to Deaf people who misinterpret Deaf-Blind people! I worked in a deaf camp for kids as a kitchen aide. Stephen happened to be my coworker in the kitchen. The boss is Deaf and is a very impatient person. She treated Stephen poorly bec he is blind.. I was not at all impressed with the way things were run at that camp!

That's sad to hear about that...sure wish people had more understanding and patience in absorbing information and understanding the culture of both DeafBlind and Deaf cultures...I've had a few confrontations at work as I'm the only Deaf staff at the group home where I work with DeafBlind people with intellectually disablilities. Hearing staff thought I was being overly rude or so forth due to my facial expressions. I had to explain in the counselling sessions that it was part of the deaf culture that we use our facial expressions in accordance of how we feel and trying to express ourselves.

Back