itsmezali

Reaction score
Hey! So I’ve been learning BSL from my friend at work who is completely deaf and when her friends (who are also deaf) come in to visit her she includes me in conversations and will stop to tell me a new sign or explain something. One thing that has happened a lot is that different people use different signs for the same word (I’m guessing because of where they were taught or through family etc) and I was wondering if it’s the same throughout other sign languages and how you overcome another (sort of mini) language barrier?

Thank you!

What Tetra said. But yes... as an example it's true in ASL (American Sign Language) there could be different signs for the same word. Off the top of my head- multiple signs for 'Birthday', at least two for 'hurt' (I learned there is a NC sign for hurt last year), several signs for 'Computer' (some are older signs)....

Wouldn't surprise me if the same is true of other sign languages.. just like oral languages there will always be different 'dialects', pronunciations (I still can't get over how 'iron' was pronounced by my co-worker originally from the south when I lived up north lol).

What Tetra said. But yes... as an example it's true in ASL (American Sign Language) there could be different signs for the same word. Off the top of my head- multiple signs for 'Birthday', at least two for 'hurt' (I learned there is a NC sign for hurt last year), several signs for 'Computer' (some are older signs)....

Wouldn't surprise me if the same is true of other sign languages.. just like oral languages there will always be different 'dialects', pronunciations (I still can't get over how 'iron' was pronounced by my co-worker originally from the south when I lived up north lol).
I never thought of it as pronounciation before that actually makes a lot more sense, thank you!

every sign is different in different countries even like bsl and asl is a bit the same, I learned BSL alphabets, not hard really, just different. I tried to learn JSL alphabet, dang that one is hard. but I like learning something different. :)

Back