Devices at church

MCB

Reaction score
Our church has had banners to reduce echoes. Then they tweaked the amplification system so that hoh people could hear better. Evidently people with full hearing didn't like those high frequencies. Now they normalized the system, and have devices that will improve understanding for those who need it. I didn't understand what he said during the sermon, I was picking up so many echoes. I suppose I need to do something about it. How do those personal amplification thingies work?

I notice that there are many HA users where I usually sit, so I know that that has been a "sweet spot" It just isn't working anymore.

They even have a little text thingie for deaf/severe hoh people can use. :cool2:

You might want to clarify what amplification "thingies" and little text "thingies" you're referring to.

a correct term is thingamajig. and whatchamacallit. :)

I use an FM system at our church. It's great. It sounds like the speaker is standing right in front of me. They have receivers w/earpieces that hook over your ear. I use my iCom with the receiver and get the sound in both ears. There's none of the echoing. You just get what the regular mics pick up.
Today they started having members of the church council in the gathering space after Mass in case anyone wanted to "communicate" with the council and the pastor. I talked with one of them today and told them I loved the FM system and thought they should have a "info night" to "show" others how they work and let them test them out. I don't think too many people realize how helpful they are. Of course, if too many like them, it will cost the church more $$ to buy add'l receivers. :o

Thanks for the response, once they got over the teasing me for my lack of vocabulary.:laugh2:

Yeah, about the only thing I understood is that it is funded through the diocese. I imagine some parishes, say with an older population, might need more.

I just looked at my ReSound Ziga book, and (to my teasers) there seem to be a lot of different ways to do it. So, I am going to have to look at it and see what it can do for me. Most of the "sweet spot" people are significantly older than me, so I guess it is up to me, with my big dangly "earrings" to take the initiative.

Probably ought to stop in at the parish office.

Those echoes are a nuisance!!
:ty:

Hi, you mentioned Diocese, so I am guessing you attend a church that use prayer book or missal, depending on your faith.

I attend Episcopal church and we use prayer book for the most part of the service. This helps as I read along as I listen. The church I attend is large, but not mega large -- about 300 attending per service, three services each Sunday. They offer FM assistive listening system (for hearing aid,) printed readings and intercessions, and of course,, SIGNED sermon! We don't have interperter here but the priest used to be teacher for the deaf so she knew signs and everyone enjoy watching her signs.

Since your church use the sound system (so does my church), why not see about getting a sound expert to troubleshoot the echo problems. I know that my church has echo but it is easily solved by changing my cochlear implant setting. I used to have hearing aid before I got the CI, so I know you can't change what you hear on it except for volume.

Hope this helps,
lee

Oh, yeah, Us Catholics and high churchers do have that. Nice. We have our missalettes, with the readings. It is just the homily (and intercessions) I missed out on. Everything else is clear, either because I can read it or because of 60 years experience.

I turned up my ha's, but all it did was amplify the echo.

Our priest is using more gestures, which is good. And his homilies are getting shorter and more to the point. He has been stuck in diocesan offices for years, and is delighted to have his own parish. I just can't stand people who only talk with their mouths.

priest used to be teacher for the deaf so she knew signs and everyone enjoy watching her signs.
WOWSERS!!

They had an expert come in this week, but I wasn't able to make it because I am busy with family problems. Yeah, the church is crowded every Sunday, at least at 10:30.

Have what? And why don't you attend a deaf church?

Be able to read along with the scripture readings which are often the foundation of the homily.

I would have to move back to Olathe for there to be a large enough population for that kind of advantages. I'm in rural Wisconsin-- nearest city is 40 miles away.

I know what you mean by the echos. My "new" HAs have "echo block" (probably just speech in noise) that helps. When I get in church, I put my HAs in that program so that when I toggle off the iCom for the Sign of Peace and when going up to communion, the echo is not noticeable.

Yeah, I can toggle, but I never use it. I will see what it does. :ty:

I think that some of the problem is little old ladies who have worn the same ha's for twenty years. They have ITE's, and I notice they don't sing. <giggles> My voc rehab person had quite a time getting me to part with my old ones.

Last edited:
Williams Sound - Helping People Hear

They cost between $125 and $150 for each person who wants to use one. They gave me one to try, and I stayed for Mass. Not much advantage for a weekday Mass with only 30 people there. No background noise. But it should be a distinct advantage on Sundays.

I sent my voc rehab counselor an e-mail about it. She specializes in hoh, so hopefully-----

I stayed for Sr. potluck, and one lady asked me about it. Like you said, LB, I could start a trend here.

I did mention about social stigma of d/hoh, and religion. There is a mistranslation in the Bible. Should be "those who hear, and choose to not understand."

I tried the toggle switch, and it did not improve anything.

Williams Sound - Helping People Hear

They cost between $125 and $150 for each person who wants to use one. They gave me one to try, and I stayed for Mass. Not much advantage for a weekday Mass with only 30 people there. No background noise. But it should be a distinct advantage on Sundays.

I sent my voc rehab counselor an e-mail about it. She specializes in hoh, so hopefully-----

I stayed for Sr. potluck, and one lady asked me about it. Like you said, LB, I could start a trend here.

I did mention about social stigma of d/hoh, and religion. There is a mistranslation in the Bible. Should be "those who hear, and choose to not understand."

I tried the toggle switch, and it did not improve anything.
Our church has, I believe, 8 receivers that we can "borrow" each time we're there.

Maybe ask your audi about the programs for your HA. Ask if there's something that would help with the echo.

Will do. I am having problems with telephones, I am happy with my new one that can amp up very loud, so I do need to have my hearing checked.

Maybe audi can suggest a less expensive alternative to the one the church is offering. There is an extra thing called an "Audio Shoe" that can connect to my HA's.

VR already sent a response with a suggestion for a March instead of an April appt.

I can try out the loaner for a few weeks. Which is nice. :ty:

That is a better economy. Buds won't work, but that is a minor thing. We'll see what happens.

That is a better economy. Buds won't work, but that is a minor thing. We'll see what happens.
Before I got my new HAs, I plugged my neckloop in it. I now plug my iCom (similar to a neckloop) in it.
As the website says, just be sure not to shout "Go team" while you're listening to the game rather than the sermon. :giggle:

Back