Dermabond vs Stitches

Dermabond would never supplement when a patient has a need for staples. In addition I haven't ever had a case where a patient suffered severe pain when removing staples. There is instrument that pops them out relatively easy. I have had a million (not literally) stiches in my life and sometimes it hurts bad when you have sigificant skin or scar overgrowth and stiches have to be pulled. Many times with large GI surgeries or cranial surgeries O vicryl sutures will be used below and then staples at the surface.

Dermabond would never supplement when a patient has a need for staples. In addition I haven't ever had a case where a patient suffered severe pain when removing staples. There is instrument that pops them out relatively easy. I have had a million (not literally) stiches in my life and sometimes it hurts bad when you have sigificant skin or scar overgrowth and stiches have to be pulled. Many times with large GI surgeries or cranial surgeries O vicryl sutures will be used below and then staples at the surface.

That's good info, Doug. Thanks. :)

I've had lots of surgeries, but was never closed with staples. It just LOOKS painful. I can't say anything about the dermabond, either. My nephew busted his head open a few years ago and they closed him up with the dermabond, though.

Both of my daughter's Ci incisions were closed with Dermabond. Love it!! Heals beautifully and the scar is almost nonexistent. Technically could have gone swimming 24 hours post-op with the dermabond (we waited a week)!

Both of my daughter's Ci incisions were closed with Dermabond. Love it!! Heals beautifully and the scar is almost nonexistent. Technically could have gone swimming 24 hours post-op with the dermabond (we waited a week)!

That's interesting. It's new to me. :) I believe it's such better than a stitches cause big scar forever. I like dermabond glue.

I am wonder. Anyone experience with cut wound and put a glue "Dermabond"? I never see that before. It's interesting. My husband got a a big cut wound on his thumb at work this early morning. His co worker took him to go ER. The ER nurse cleaned off of his bleed on thumb and put a glue "DERMABOND" to seal the cut skin shut it. He didn't need to use a bandage or stitches. Do you think Dermabond will become mild of scar line? How about Stitches?

Let debate it here. Thank you.

Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of my kids walked in front of a wood swing seat as it was coming toward her and ended up with an inch long cut on the side of her head. She was 10. The doc in the emergency room was cleaning the wound and said, "Looks like we better use the staple gun." My daughter only knew about the giant pneumatic staple guns her daddy used in construction. When he said that her eyes got big as plates and she looked at me just terrified! (Up till then she had been very calm) I started to explain to her that it wasn't what she was thinking. Then the doctor brought out this little tiny instrument and she almost passed out from relief.

One of my kids walked in front of a wood swing seat as it was coming toward her and ended up with an inch long cut on the side of her head. She was 10. The doc in the emergency room was cleaning the wound and said, "Looks like we better use the staple gun." My daughter only knew about the giant pneumatic staple guns her daddy used in construction. When he said that her eyes got big as plates and she looked at me just terrified! (Up till then she had been very calm) I started to explain to her that it wasn't what she was thinking. Then the doctor brought out this little tiny instrument and she almost passed out from relief.

LOL!!!! I actually don't have any idea what staple gun at hospital looks like. I'd have same image as your daughter :laugh2:

LOL!!!! I actually don't have any idea what staple gun at hospital looks like. I'd have same image as your daughter :laugh2:

Yes, the area required staples because it was on the side of her head where the skin was tight and pulled. Just 3 staples. After that she thought she was hot stuff to have real staples in her head and couldn't resist showing them off at church.

Yes, the area required staples because it was on the side of her head where the skin was tight and pulled. Just 3 staples. After that she thought she was hot stuff to have real staples in her head and couldn't resist showing them off at church.

Ouch. It's hurt. Do you think Dermabond is the best than staples? I don't like the tight the skin cause scar.

It depends on the type of laceration. Its not really the "patient's" preference here, it is what the physician deems appropriate for the situation. Like I said earlier, a wound warranting staples- there is no chance dermmabond will be as effective or appropriate.

It depends on the type of laceration. Its not really the "patient's" preference here, it is what the physician deems appropriate for the situation. Like I said earlier, a wound warranting staples- there is no chance dermmabond will be as effective or appropriate.

Doug is correct. While Im sure my daughter would have prefer dermabond, the tightness of the skin made it impossible for the glue to hold. The doctor had to use his fingers to hold the wound together and he had a hard time pulling it together. Nothing else would have been strong enough I don't think. The one area of medicine in my opinion that this country excels in is emergency medical care.

Back