Demolition Crew Knock Down Wrong House

I'm glad that no one was actually living in the house at the time. That would have been even worse. I hope the family gets adequately compensated.

LOL too funny...sorry pps you HAVE to laugh about it, but ok it's NOT funny if it's your OWN, --Unless, it's a house needed repairs it might then be a blessing in disguise...

I'm glad that no one was actually living in the house at the time. That would have been even worse. I hope the family gets adequately compensated.

I agree with you that it would have been even worse if someone was actually living in the house. But how do you compensate for this "The house belonged to his late grandmother and had been in the family for decades. Personal items such as a desk, books, a chair and an antique mirror had been destroyed in the demolition."??

I did sell the house that my grandparents had in 1989 (they had moved it there 1896 and added on to it as they had 7 kids) after my mother died. But, that was a planned sale and I did not lose other items I wanted to keep.

I am glad there where no pets in the at the time the house was knocked.
"A compensation agreement has not yet been reached " this was in article so is looks like the people will being getting some money. But there is no way to prove the mirror was an antique unless they it had appraise and had something in writing. I guess that is something everyone should do if they have very valuable antique in their home. You never know what will happen .

I agree with you that it would have been even worse if someone was actually living in the house. But how do you compensate for this "The house belonged to his late grandmother and had been in the family for decades. Personal items such as a desk, books, a chair and an antique mirror had been destroyed in the demolition."??
For sentimental value there is no real compensation but courts are only allowed to award monetary compensation, so that's the way it is. Same with personal injury awards. There really is no monetary equivalent for pain and suffering, loss of function, permanent scars, etc., but that's all courts and insurance companies can provide.

Reba
That was my point — how do you compensate sentimental value that often means more than the monetary value.

I think we are saying the same thing in different words.

For sentimental value there is no real compensation but courts are only allowed to award monetary compensation, so that's the way it is. Same with personal injury awards. There really is no monetary equivalent for pain and suffering, loss of function, permanent scars, etc., but that's all courts and insurance companies can provide.

I did sell the house that my grandparents had in 1989 (they had moved it there 1896 and added on to it as they had 7 kids) after my mother died. But, that was a planned sale and I did not lose other items I wanted to keep.

Back