Definition of normal....your opinions?

Normal is a word used to cover a broad range. Boundaries to that range are not set in stone. I realize that is not exact and somehow I can live with it. You can remove the word but you cannot remove the need for it so it will come right back. There is a need for the word therefore it is.

There are other words as well such as in "general" people have a wide variety or range of beliefs and even if they identify as having one belief it is a general term that covers all the many variations that are simply inescapable when human beings are involved. This is in fact normal because I am referring to human beings. If the range of variety decreases or increases it is still normal because....

Normal is a word used to cover a broad range. Boundaries to that range are not set in stone. I realize that is not exact and somehow I can live with it. You can remove the word but you cannot remove the need for it so it will come right back. There is a need for the word therefore it is.

There are other words as well such as in "general" people have a wide variety or range of beliefs and even if they identify as having one belief it is a general term that covers all the many variations that are simply inescapable when human beings are involved. This is in fact normal because I am referring to human beings. If the range of variety decreases or increases it is still normal because....

Yeah, and another word used similarly in the legal profession is "reasonable".....

Really thought I had a perfectly "normal" neighbor...altho' she does drink a little too much....one day, she had drunk too much it seemed...and became a motor mouth...told me she was a phycho freak...took a lot of meds...so of course I was 'wondering' about her alcohol intake....

She said she would trim my doggie's nails for me next time....I said really?...why thank you....then the next moment she said:........
"Just don't piss me off!".....One minute she seems 'fine'...the next....:eek3:

I was part of the movement years ago to mainstream disabled and change people's attitudes. It's considered ableist to say stuff like wheelchair bound, because no one is. Ableism is a form of discrimination and social prejudice, and it minimizes people and it minimizes their abilities. It's like calling a blind person a blink. It's like calling us deaf and dumb. It really is just as bad.

I once read an article describing a kid with CP as wheelchair bound, and there he is, sitting in his recliner playing with his iPad. Ridiculous.

Seems to me like he came to a paranoid assumption about use of the word normal expressed in this context as offending? Based on the other person's reasoning, I know what he was trying to say, but he has a limited extent in choice of words and could only come up with normal instead of more specific descriptives like hearing, not deaf, etc. I would not waste time on a word and would have asked the girl about her stares. Using a site where anyone can reply, you've got to accept the chance of a questionable commsnt being posted.

"Normal" is a useless term. It's pretty much whatever works for a person. So long as they aren't harming another living being/creature....who cares? The assholes who run "mainstream" society would love to put everyone in the same mold. Facebook is douche-y. I cancelled my account years ago.

It is normal for people to be human. Not so normal if a person is not human. Might be kind of tough to get a drivers license but there is probably a way.

Back