Defective cochlear-ear implant ....In case someone you know has this older model

Yikes!!

What really jumped out at me though was this sentence from the family's lawyer talking about the girl waiting for her new implant to be activated "She lived in a cold, dark, deaf world while Advanced Bionics shareholders enjoyed millions of dollars in sales-based bonuses"

Uh.....interesting word choices there, so being deaf makes you cold, I imagine he's meaning impersonal here but it still sounds funny.....and blind I guess. Because it was dark and all :eek3:

It's also clear she was dependent on the CI. How freaking SAD........Cases like these are WHY those of us who are Dhh encourage bilingalism.
She would not have been in a cold dark silent world if she had been able to function WITHOUT the CI.
CI advocates miss that technology can be very disfunctional.......

It's also clear she was dependent on the CI. How freaking SAD........Cases like these are WHY those of us who are Dhh encourage bilingalism.
She would not have been in a cold dark silent world if she had been able to function WITHOUT the CI.
CI advocates miss that technology can be very disfunctional.......

Why are forever making assumptions? I didn't read anything in that article that indicated whether or not she knew and used ASL. In the thread about the deaf guy that was stabbing people on the college campus you assumed he was raised oral and mainstreamed. It said nothing about whether or not their family used ASL, he was implanted at 7, pretty decent chance they did. He wasn't mainstreamed he was home schooled. This girl was implanted at 4, again decent chance they tried to use ASL to communicate with their daughter before she was 4.

Is it exhausting standing on that soap box and beating that drum?

Last edited:
I would let the lawyer call me anything he wanted if it meant getting 7 million. I am a whore for millions in cash

To the original poster: Thanks, but all of us with AB received a letter via Fed Ex notifying us of the details of the Vendor B failure. This is not news. I was implanted in 2006 as well.

As for the "news," it's disgusting. It is truly disturbing how our news outlets are increasingly becoming tabloid-like in their reporting. It's short on facts and big on hysterics, just like the lawyer. Perhaps the lawyer is to blame for being the source of the hysterics.

This isn't good news for any CI-user. Cochlear is currently under recall with mounting failures as well as a class action law-suit. These things need to be taken care of, but awarding obscene amounts of money is not taking care of it, it's just feeding the vultures.

Hey BleedingPurist what is the recall from Cochlear?

In the first of about 40 lawsuits filed nationally to go to trial, the jury said the company should pay $6.25 million in punitive damages alone for recklessly disregarding patient safety by continuing to sell the device after company officials knew it was leaking and defective.

Talk about GREED!

She lived in a cold, dark, deaf world while Advanced Bionics shareholders enjoyed millions of dollars in sales-based bonuses," her lawyers said in a pretrial brief.

He is a dickhead for saying that.

In the first of about 40 lawsuits filed nationally to go to trial, the jury said the company should pay $6.25 million in punitive damages alone for recklessly disregarding patient safety by continuing to sell the device after company officials knew it was leaking and defective.

Talk about GREED!

Indeed. The lawyer, and apparently the court, are ignoring the fact that AB identified the malfunctioning component and the manufacturing source. It was removed from production and all implants with the part recalled. They continued to implant using Vendor A, which is what I have, that did not have any issues. That hardly translates into knowingly selling defective devices. That would be like accusing Cochlear of the same because they continued to implant Freedom devices instead of the faulty CI500. Neither company continued to knowingly implant faulty devices once they realized there was a problem. That isn't even a logical conclusion.

I would let the lawyer call me anything he wanted if it meant getting 7 million. I am a whore for millions in cash
Bingo, we have a winner. This was an emotional appeal to probably an all hearing jury to feel bad for the poor little deaf girl injured and made to suffer by the big evil corp.

Don't read anything else into this because it's not there. This is all about a lawyer that found a case that had potential to line his pockets with a sh1tload of money

Don't read anything else into this because it's not there. This is all about a lawyer that found a case that had potential to line his pockets with a sh1tload of money

I realize it's a "sh1tload of money", but let's see if you feel the same way if you, according to the article:

"an electrical short shocked her so violently that she was thrown to the ground, vomiting and convulsing."

and

"After she was shocked two more times, the device had to be removed from her skull and replaced with a competitor's model in an open-head surgery that took more than seven hours."

and

"an ambulance had to be called because she screamed that her face was on fire and felt like it was melting."

and so on.

Sounds perfectly enjoyable.

I'm really confused about how they came up with rewarding her 7.25 million.....

It awarded her parents $236,325 to pay for her medical expenses, $750,000 for pain and suffering and about $10,000 to recover the couple's lost wages and travel expenses.

Okay I'm not brilliant or anything, but that adds up to a little over 1 million, although $236,325 is for medical expenses, not really going to the family.

I realize it's a "sh1tload of money", but let's see if you feel the same way if you, according to the article:

"an electrical short shocked her so violently that she was thrown to the ground, vomiting and convulsing."

and

"After she was shocked two more times, the device had to be removed from her skull and replaced with a competitor's model in an open-head surgery that took more than seven hours."

and

"an ambulance had to be called because she screamed that her face was on fire and felt like it was melting."

and so on.

Sounds perfectly enjoyable.

Sounds perfectly exaggerated. The quote about the surgery is a perfect example..... It's a drama queen's retelling. So the other quotes are suspect and rely on the testimony of two vengeful parents with no other direct witnesses.

Thank you, BBNT. I miss you. :giggle:

By the way, some of you want to get cochlear implant(s)? I wish you the best of luck with some defective CI model. You know the risks involving CI, don't whine then.

I feel bad for the girl who went through hell with her defective CI and pissed off at her parents because they want the girl to be "hearing" like them. It totally disgusts me.

My heart goes to the girl and others who are affected by defective CIs.

Sounds perfectly exaggerated. The quote about the surgery is a perfect example..... It's a drama queen's retelling. So the other quotes are suspect and rely on the testimony of two vengeful parents with no other direct witnesses.

Exaggeration? Maybe u don't want to admit that CIs themselves are machines that can break down.

To date I haven't received any letter from Advanced Bionics on the Harmony model which I used since August 8, 2007. No problem at all. I read about a production problem a bit later.
aside my brother has exactly the same model I have-activated 2 years later-no problem either.

Exaggeration? Maybe u don't want to admit that CIs themselves are machines that can break down.

Why would I "admit" it when I've already quite clearly declared it? You are capable of picking up the nonsense in "She lived in a cold, dark, Deaf world." That kind of dramatic tripe is hanging all over that story.

To date I haven't received any letter from Advanced Bionics on the Harmony model which I used since August 8, 2007. No problem at all. I read about a production problem a bit later.
aside my brother has exactly the same model I have-activated 2 years later-no problem either.

You haven't got a letter as it concerns people who were implanted in 2006 as stated on the first post. You were implanted in 2007!

Why would I "admit" it when I've already quite clearly declared it? You are capable of picking up the nonsense in "She lived in a cold, dark, Deaf world." That kind of dramatic tripe is hanging all over that story.

I thought u were referring to the parents of the child when u said drama queen?

Back