decided to become a vegetarian...

Perhaps the "old standby"-eat at home and know exactly what you are eating in whatever food "style". Assuming you bought the food-in the first place.

The only way to know what you are eating is to make it from scratch.

I did once, but I can't do that because when I become the vegetarian and depression!!

You have to be careful with foreign eateries as some may contain MSG and other harmful additives.

Very true. There are still debates over the harmful effects of MSG though - they say it's harmful only when consumed in excess. Others says it had negative effects on lab rats - i.e. behaviour problems, retinal destruction.

If one wants to be absolutely sure there's no MSG in their food, just ask the waiter about it.

I've been doing well and Its hard to avoid fast food at the moment ..I'm moving and we are currently without a house it a week In between ..also I go to competitions alottt so when we travel we stop at fast food area rest stops..but I've been asking for vegetarian options and his weekend I'm bringing a lot of snacks with me so if I'm stuck at a fast food place with no options I won't go starving lol

Tips...here some Sunnt tested, tried and true tips!

1. Freeze grapes. This excellent snack!
2. Keep cut up vegetables always.
3. When buy veggies like peppers, dice and freeze. Then you always have peppers handy for stir fry. Or soup. Or whatever.
4. Get menus from restaurants your area. Scope out before you go. Find out what in things, what substitutions allow, etc. this make easier night you go.
5. Pepper!!! Lots lots pepper. Some veggies very bland (I look you parsnip) but lots pepper give excellent flavour!
6. Experiment many flavours/spices so you not get bored.
7. Jello not vegetarian product. You not even want know why.

You need proteins and whole grains too! You can't just eat veggies. It is easier to find more vegetarian meals at restaurants today than when I was a vegetarian in the late 60's and 70's. I notice tofu has gone up in price but you can buy it in all kind flavors now. When I cooks my beans I would soaked them overnight before cooking them.

I've been doing well and Its hard to avoid fast food at the moment ..I'm moving and we are currently without a house it a week In between ..also I go to competitions alottt so when we travel we stop at fast food area rest stops..but I've been asking for vegetarian options and his weekend I'm bringing a lot of snacks with me so if I'm stuck at a fast food place with no options I won't go starving lol

Even people not on special diets find it expensive and or too time consuming to always eat in restaurants while on the road.

At times in the past while I was on the road I've started the day with peanut butter & jelly sandwiches on whole wheat. It's easy to pack up, the PB stays fresh enough in a small icebox (size for picnics or beer cans) and it keeps you going for a few hours. At least it does for me, and I tend to get hungry quite easily.

Going to the grocery store and picking up cans of tuna fish, plain yogurt to mix with fruit, beans etc. would probably work also. (The first two items if you're not that strict.)

One of my friends makes bean salads from cans of Goya beans all the time. She's not a fan of cooking and has a very restricted diet and that is easy for her to do.

BTW, I'm reading this thread also because I'm trying to improve my diet. Even though I still want to be an omnivore, I can still use these tips also. :)

@ honey.toronto -- I'm checking out those recipe web sites! I'm glad you posted them.

Last edited:
I didn't think of te peanut butter and jelly suggestion thanks! As for tuna I don't eat seafood to begin with since I'm allergic lol I am going to get some fruit and such and lactose free yogurt too for the bus ride :)

Homemade protein bars! The ohsheglows blog has a recipe for quick bars and they are delicious. I had trouble keeping my kids from eating them all. :D

I didn't think of te peanut butter and jelly suggestion thanks! As for tuna I don't eat seafood to begin with since I'm allergic lol I am going to get some fruit and such and lactose free yogurt too for the bus ride :)

Cool!

So they sell yogurt marketed as lactose free in Canada? I'm pretty sure all yogurt with active cultures are lactose free. I've read that the bacteria converts the lactose sugar to lactic acid.

I'm lactose intolerant also and I frequently have a half cup of plain yogurt with fruit as part of my breakfast, so far so good.

Just curious, how do you handle milk? I always like to know what other lactose intolerant people do.

FWIW, most of the time I buy Lacteeze drops and add them to my milk. 20 drops per gallon and usually try to give it a day and a half before I start drinking it. (Add the drops at night, and start using it for breakfast the second morning after.)

I buy my drops mail order from a Canadian business as a matter of fact, because its considerably less expensive than what it sells for in USAsian stores.

Other times I occasionally buy lactose free milk.

I can't do regular milk and I think I'm allergi to a milk protein and not just lactose intolerant..cuz I can't have regular yogurt ..and I drink lactose free milk..I'm ok with some cheeses but if too much I get sick if ya know what i mean ..my stomach is sensitive to some milk products but not to some others ..I'm weird lol

I was at a Chili Joe's in Charlotte airport and they offered a vegetarian black bean patty as an alternative to beef patties. I got a black bean burger with usual dressings and guacamole and it was delicious!!! I was pretty impressed actually.

How did vegetarianism make you depressed?

Remember I wrote my thread about the midlife crisis that not caused by it! :squint:

My doctor told me that when I become the vegetarian cause, my effect with withdrew, anxious, annoyed, drowse and headaches frequently! He said, I need to eat once meat a month, chicken once a week, Seafood once in two weeks! Now I feel better! :shock:

Remember I wrote my thread about the midlife crisis that not caused by it! :squint:

My doctor told me that when I become the vegetarian cause, my effect with withdrew, anxious, annoyed, drowse and headaches frequently! He said, I need to eat once meat a month, chicken once a week, Seafood once in two weeks! Now I feel better! :shock:

I think that is from less B vitamins in a vegetarian diet.

I think that is from less B vitamins in a vegetarian diet.

You may find it interesting to know that most people who suffer from B vitamin deficiencies are meat eaters.

It's a myth about the vitamin b deficiency in relation to the vegetarian/vegan diets. B12 does not come from animal protein - it's a bacteria found in plants contaminated by it.

To have true B12 deficiency, one would have developed anemia and nerve damage. We all have b12 in our bodies for it's always re-absorbed, not excreted. A human actually only needs 2-3 micrograms of b12 a day and that's very easy to accomplish.

and most reports on b12 deficiencies are sponsored by the pharmaceutical and/or meat industries.

Not true at all...

Those are all signs of WITHDRAWAL. You're trying to come off of nitrates, growth hormones, and excessive protein levels, among other things. Go here, scroll down to Lesson 8 - Proteins In The Diet, and read all the lessons within that plus the articles.

Raw Food Living|Raw Food Diet & Recipes|Organic Raw Foods

Back