Debrief: JClarke's vacation (WARNING: Lots of pictures)

JClarke

AD Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Friends,
I would like to let you all and the blog readers know that I am now safe and sound at home back in Canberra, Australia (and in one piece!). The flight home was not too bad; I have experienced serve turbulence – for a short period of time, while passing Hawaii.

This is my debrief of my holidays, as you all know that it was my first solo trip, which I travelled to America by myself, not bringing anyone else along the trip, also to experience it. I have to say, it was a complete success – my overall trip was the best vacation I have ever had in my life – due to that I have planned ahead and travelled more than 25,000kms (around 20,000+ miles) to reach New York City as well, which was one of my major cities to visit during the trip, the visit to New York City was accomplished. I am glad that the whole planning and plenty of research has paid off – the value of the trip has been well worth it. As you all know I have visited 4 major cities during my trip. I will be debriefing on each in this blog. Please enjoy.

I was in America for nearly three weeks, and the first city to visit was Portland, Oregon – the city and state that I have never been in. I have to say, it is a beautiful city and landscape, I have seen Mt hood myself on the way in when my plane landed. Portland is a great place, it is recommended for anyone to visit one day if you haven’t yet to visit. I would like to say thank you to the following people who took their time to come to Portland from other town – to meet me in person and have a enjoyable night. The people are damienmommy & KarissaMann05 – thank you to you two lovely ladies for bringing in other friends, which was an absolutely a pleasure to have met your friends and yourselves! I hope the accidental spill on damienmommy wasn’t that bad!

Here is the picture of me with the two Oregon AD’ers – Thank you for your time!

DSCN0526.jpg

I was invited to ASL Club and comedy show in Vancouver, Washington – where I met ~kaelei~ there with her other friends, I want to say thank you for doing this, and taking out the time to make this an opportunity! I appreciate it, and I have enjoyed the time to meet the other friends of yours. The ASL Show included the famous CODA comedian, Keith Wann himself, and I couldn’t believe my eyes that I was watching the show!

This is me with ~kaelei~

DSCN0546.jpg

This is me with other friends from Vancouver, Washington – thank you for coming along!

DSCN0542.jpg

The three night stay in Portland, Oregon was short but enjoyable, only to be a bit disappointed that I had to leave for Washington D.C – so I plan to come back and visit Portland/Vancouver again in the near future. Thank you again!

I would like to say thank you to Chevy57 for alerting me about my connecting flight to Washington D.C via phoenix, AZ due to bad weather, I discovered the flight status via VRS that the flight was cancelled, and I am deeply appreciated that a family-friend of mine, Mrs. Murray took the time to drive me back to Portland International Airport to drop me off and also assist me with the situation of my flight, fortunately, they were able to put me on a direct flight to D.C with U.S Airways free of charge. I was pleased with the solution they have addressed. Thank you, Mrs. Murray! (Thanks for the dinner as well.)

I managed to arrive in Washington D.C without a problem – I stayed with my parent’s friend’s family, the Meyer residence, for 5 nights, and I truly appreciate the family in occupying me in their household and I have enjoyed the time to catch up with the kids they have grown and also the twins too! Thank you very much for everything, the hospitality was outstanding once again.

I loved the time that I visited Gallaudet! There was so much improvement in the campus and its surroundings, it is much safer now and it is easier for me to get around, I want to say thank you to Tim Woodford for everything that has scheduled for me on the day I spent there. I’ll come back again!
DSCN0645.jpg

The campus tour – Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet and the first deaf student statue

I would like to say thank you to authentic for his efforts and the time to meet up with me in Washington D.C and your entertainment to come and join us watching the ice hockey game, which Washington Caps won the game (7 -4) it was fantastic, also thank you for letting me stay at your place for the night – due to unforeseeable circumstances to the night partying plans which wasn’t exceeding our expectations – This is the picture of me and Authentic at the newseum – which was established in 2007

DSCN0614.jpg

DSCN0566.jpg

I caught the Amtrak train to New York City with Gangis – who I have known for three years, and he has got the honors to meet me in person for the first time, and I would like to say thank you to gangis for your time to come to NYC with me from Florida and your outstanding guiding skills! Well done, man! I look forward to meet up again in the near future – maybe again in NYC or back at your hometown of Florida! I have absolutely enjoyed the sights and the fun times with you in New York City – New York City is an awesome city that never sleeps – just like ‘"New York, New York. so good they named it twice!"< -- Hope it is correct sentence, no? It is everyone’s dream and mine’s which I have mentioned earlier in this debrief has been accomplished – would love to visit again.

DSCN0672.jpg

Me at the hotel roof in NYC (Pod Hotel)

DSCN0682.jpg

Me at Time Square

DSCN0702.jpg

Speculating the memorial of the WTC

DSCN0708.jpg

Snow at Central Park

DSCN0719.jpg

Me at Central Park – Plaza hotel in background

DSCN0733.jpg

From the Empire State Building

DSCN0834.jpg

Me and paperclip at the bull statue.

to be continued....next post.

Last edited:
debrief continued, part 2

The AD meet was the best night ever I have had and I must agree with jiro which was an huge success which has exceeded my expectations as well, and I would like to say thank you to Alex for letting it happen in real life, and a HUGE thank you to Jiro for all the work you have done to encourage and lure all other AD’ers who have attended at the night, thank you, Jiro!You have out-done it yourself, outstanding! :cool2:

To the people who attended

Paperclip, shel90, juli-terp-to-be, daredevel, Jiro, Gangis, Frisky Feline, oddball, Phillips, alex, chevy57 and NYC friends as well

I would like to give a special thanks to these people above who have decided to travel abroad to NYC to attend this rare-opportunity event. THANK YOU. I appreciate it and it was AWESOME to have met you all and it was great fun. You know Phillips was the surprise guest, I thought she wouldn’t have made it, but thank you for coming! Thanks to Shel90 and her husband, Mac for the huge effort to come to NYC no matter what the weather has affected them…. Shame that DC was snowed in within your area but you guys managed to arrive to NYC without a problem! Thank you very much for coming! I had great fun despite I was drunk but.

Also, Phillips gave me an awesome gift, which is hard for me to describe in words but unfortunately, a photo won’t happen until the weekend, which I will polish it up, it will be worth the wait when you know what it is!
Photos from the night, enjoy!

DSCN0808.jpg

DSCN0810.jpg

DSCN0811.jpg

DSCN0815.jpg

DSCN0819.jpg

DSCN0820.jpg

DSCN0821.jpg

DSCN0822.jpg

DSCN0823.jpg

DSCN0826.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

DSCN0828.jpg

DSCN0830.jpg

DSCN0832.jpg

I would like to thank Jiro for your time to pick me up and drive to JFK International Airport – I appreciate your time to do this for me. I owe you one. :thumb: I have arrived in L.A safely.

Lastly, Los Angeles was the last major city I have visited before I headed back to Sydney, Australia. I met up with OceanBlue7 who has taken the time and effort to guide me around since 7 in the morning, which took me a walk and a chat along Santa Monica beach which was awesome sight since I last visited there, 11 years ago – the weather there was warmer than NYC – and Hollywood Blvd as well – also thank you for dropping me off at the hotel in the afternoon. I had great fun. I look forward to the photos when oceanblue7 has it uploaded on facebook.

Below is the picture of me and oceablue7 with the wax figure of President Barack Obama – from the museum which we visited in Hollywood blvd, Los Angeles.

DSCN0869.jpg

The conclusion of the debrief and the overall of my trip was fantastic and it has exceeded my expectations and I appreciate the time and things that fells in place nicely. The people around in U.S were very deaf friendly and very friendly people as well, especially these cab drivers in NYC.

My plans and everything didn’t even cause a problem at all during the whole trip and I am very pleased to know that (only got lost twice, and got back on track quicker than I expected). It was worth the money saved and spent on my vacation – I thank you all for the effort and the awesomeness during my trip!

More photos are viewed on my face book, if you have me on your list – please enjoy the rest.

Yours in AD,

International AD’er.

JClarke

Last edited:
Hey Jake,
Thanks for sharing your experience as well photos with us.

It has been enjoyable matching the username to the faces.

Glad you've had a great time in the US.

:mad2: the correct quote is "New York, New York. so good they named it twice!"

Awesome pictures, Jacob!

Glad you had a blast during your trip! And welcome back! :)

Great pictures. I think that your Aussie friends might be jealous of your lots of American girls. :lol:

those ARE most excellent photos:thumb: :ty:for putting them up, I agree is good to put names to faces. Really enjoyed seeing folks have a good time! Hopefully someday if you return I can make it next time-

I am just so happy you enjoyed yourself and so mad at myself for not meeting you!

BIG BEARHUGS!!

Awesome pictures! Look like you all had a great time. :)

Fantastic pictures. I am so glad you had an awesome time here in the states. I'm glad that everyone was so good and great for you. I wish I had been able to make the trip, but maybe another time.

Get your rest and enjoy your wonderful memories.

JClarke, good pictures! Did I see Canada flag, is it part of Canada's invasion to Washington DC? :hmm:

and also.... :roll: @ this thread. How many more threads related to trip do you want?????

These pics are way cool... Jake, ya sure had a blast being in the USA visiting with ADers and more... glad ya had a good time and I wouldnt be surprised if ya do think about another trip back there in the future at a good time?

Back