Death... Finding or Announcing?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
Let's suppose someone dies, which is worse... finding that dead body or telling someone that someone they know has died?

Suppose this guy named Bob was shot and is laying down in the middle of his driveway. You find his body laying there dead.

Whether or not it was you that found the body, you have been asked as the person who has to go tell Bob's wife that her husband has died.

Now, which is worse for you?

Actually, what would be construed to be 'worse' is the fact with 'finding a dead body'. However, to 'tell' someone, just as 'Bob's wife', that would be construed as 'hard and difficult' to do.

~RR

I think finding a dead body could be as awful as it can be but to tell someone (ie; husband, wife or whomever it is) is a lot worse because you're in a situation where you have to think or to figure a way how to "break-out" the news. You don't know how that person will react once they receive the news. It is never a easy thing to do to tell someone that he/or she has died.

I think it would be harder for me to tell them that their partner was found dead, because it would be too emotional, especially if they don't suspect anything bad. I really don't like upsetting people.

If I found the dead body, well I can either handle it on my own or confide with someone who is not associated with the deceased.

Speaking of death in the driveway, this is exactly what in Australia a few days ago. A 80 something year old man built a suicide robot that could empty the barrel. He choose to die on his driveway, because he knew workmen would hear the shots and would find his body.

Let's suppose someone dies, which is worse... finding that dead body or telling someone that someone they know has died?

Finding is worse. I speak from experience.

Police and the coroner's office are there to tell close family members for you. You have to live with the (visual) memory of finding someone that has died.

Last edited:

Suppose this guy named Bob was shot and is laying down in the middle of his driveway. You find his body laying there dead.

Whether or not it was you that found the body, you have been asked as the person who has to go tell Bob's wife that her husband has died.

Now, which is worse for you?

I've actually experienced both. Both are equally bad in different ways.

Well, If I were in that situation and the first thing I would do is call 911 emgerncy or the cop to report the body. I probably would put my hand on its shoulder and shake it, to see if it's really dead or check his or her pulse to see if the person is alive or dead. I would use my training to verify life signs and attempt resuscitation if the person have a pulse. But if the body were cold and stiff, obviously I wouldn't bother with the CPR.

Finding is worse. I speak from experience.

Police and the coroner's office are there to tell close family members for you. You have to live with the (visual) memory of finding someone that has died.
But... suppose you had the authority to tell that person. For instance, you're a cop or a doctor.

Well, If I were in that situation and the first thing I would do is call 911 emgerncy or the cop to report the body. I probably would put my hand on its shoulder and shake it, to see if it's really dead or check his or her pulse to see if the person is alive or dead. I would use my training to verify life signs and attempt resuscitation if the person have a pulse. But if the body were cold and stiff, obviously I wouldn't bother with the CPR.
It's now how you would respond to a person laying down. It's what you think is worse or harder... finding a body that is actually dead or having to tell someone about that dead body?

Seeing the dead body, any day. I've been around more than a fair share of people as they died (although it's usually in a hospital bed, or sometimes at home, and not on a driveway)... it's a painful part of my life but it's one that I've accepted. More importantly.. most knew they were more or less dying very soon and had coped with that reality for years, or their entire life, so it was something we could discuss before it happened and, find myself having 'lost' them well before they actually died... it's not painful knowing someone you care dearly about is headed to heaven, even if you must witness the last moments they spend still on this earth.

Family members.. even being around them when it happens, it rips my heart out. I can't stand to see it. There's very little comfort or reason I have to offer the living- I cannot say that their suffering ended because that was the only life ever known. I can't say it was a long life because I've never seen one make it past 32. It's a terrifying position where I know I'll say or do something wrong that wont help anyone at all.

But... suppose you had the authority to tell that person. For instance, you're a cop or a doctor.

If you're a cop or doctor you have training to tell people and would be more likely to witness such scenes and "harden" to it. Regular people don't.

If you're a cop or doctor you have training to tell people and would be more likely to witness such scenes and "harden" to it. Regular people don't.
While you have training, the emotional and mental feeling is still there... unless you're telling me that those training makes us stone cold talkers. No way.

Let me put it this way..if I found a body that is still intact, then telling the family members will be harder.

However, if I find a body that has been mangled, I think that would be worse than telling the family.

I have never experienced either so I probably will never know until I actually experience either scenarios. I hope I will never have to find out.

I think the worse thing of all would be actually witnessing someone dying a painful death. I dont think I could handle that emotionally after my experience of watching a "Faces of Death" video 20 years ago. The clips of people in the process of dying were worse than the clips of dead bodies.

If something like that happened to me, I would just ignore the dead body and report to the polices that I found the body and haven't touched anything. I know it's scary part, but that's the best thing I can do.

I have never experienced something like that but if I did then the worse part of the job would be telling the families and friend cuz you will see their reaction to the death of their love one. But that only for a short time but visual see the dead body it will last a long time. Shudders to think about that man.

I think visual of a dead body is worse than police or the medical authorities telling someone that loved one of theirs have passed away. Otherwise, the police and the medical authorities still do have emotional issues when they see dead people and break out the news to the relatives. They just don't show it in the public.

What if you stumble by and see a dead body lying on the grass out in a big city park early in the morning? I think you would immediatly report to the authorities about someone died there, or maybe freak out and mind their own business. Some people have fears of seeing dead people, so don't be surprised.

I have fear of seeing dead bodies, ever since I saw my mother's body. So I think it would be worse to see dead bodies instead of telling the families. Enspecially if the body is decomposed.

*shudders*

I think finding a dead body could be as awful as it can be but to tell someone (ie; husband, wife or whomever it is) is a lot worse because you're in a situation where you have to think or to figure a way how to "break-out" the news. You don't know how that person will react once they receive the news. It is never a easy thing to do to tell someone that he/or she has died.

I remmy when ya and my family saw my grandpa died back in aug 10, 1999 and i was in other town looking for a job... it was hard on ya and my Aunt Carolyn on telling me and my brother ova the phone telling us that my grandpa just died.. i know that hard on ya but ya did good job...

Back