Deaf World or Hearing World?

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you think about the terms Hearing World and Deaf World?

dictionary defines world as : A planet or globe in the solar system.
So with that using the term 'world' means to say there is a deaf planet and a hearing planet?

Has our globe split in half with hearing world there and the deaf world here like there are two seperate planet?

I personally think we should all live together as peaceably as possible.

Our planet is covered with alot of different people with their different cultures and communities, so why should we try to divide it when for the most part it all meshes together?

I agree with identifying oneself with the deaf, and being involved in the deaf culture and community, but we have to remember that we also belong to the greater world population.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

One world. We're all in it. It's time we stop the division of hearing/deaf and learn how to live and work together. ;)

it's obviously not literally different worlds.

"world" is a synonym for society.

"world" does not necessarily mean the planet. It also means group that you share your experiences with.

That matches the definition for "Deaf World"... where deaf people share their experiences with other deaf people.

it's obviously not literally different worlds.

"world" is a synonym for society.

I have to agree with you on this one. We try to get along with one another but the superior people like to look down on us and they(usually white people and mostly hearing people) think they are better than we are. They don't want to meet halfway to understand our needs no matter if we are deaf or hearing. No wonder we have lots of wars over the centuries that they want to take over whatever they are please like they won a prize. Sure, they want peace but they went overboard with getting what they want. They don't care about us at all. They just want to make us suffer, that is why I am wondering why do parents have to force their children to put their suffering to please their parents and authorities that we can hear. :(

I have to go now. Will try to add more. :ily:

I have to agree with you on this one. We try to get along with one another but the superior people like to look down on us and they(usually white people and mostly hearing people) think they are better than we are. They don't want to meet halfway to understand our needs no matter if we are deaf or hearing. No wonder we have lots of wars over the centuries that they want to take over whatever they are please like they won a prize. Sure, they want peace but they went overboard with getting what they want. They don't care about us at all. They just want to make us suffer, that is why I am wondering why do parents have to force their children to put their suffering to please their parents and authorities that we can hear. :(

I have to go now. Will try to add more. :ily:
so the point you're trying to make is...

that all white hearies must die?

One world, multiple facets and sub cultures.

We are ALL completely equal in one way:
Each one of us alone is like an insignificant mote of dust compared to the universe. Not even a blink in the passage of all time.

But yet human life still has value. Life is one of our greatest treasures. It does not matter that we are so tiny, we overcome that by having thought, and emotion, and when we work together... we can accomplish things much greater than one could alone.

None of us are perfect, perfection cannot be achieved... but every time we make progress, we come closer to it.

It is so easy for people to get caught up in themselves, and not see what really goes on with others. I too have this problem. But really, life is too short to fight about things needlessly. The average person spends a third of their life sleeping, and close to another third working (some people have to spend a lot more just trying to survive)

When we spend time doing something to hurt someone, that is one less positive thing we could have done in life. We cannot get that time back again, ever. It also takes up that other persons time, giving them another negative experience they would rather not have had.

But anyway, to answer the question:

Personally, while it is nice to communicate with others who I can relate to, I do not intentionally place myself in any sub culture. Being deaf does not cause me to be in a deaf world. Blindness does not cause me to be in a blind world. Using a wheelchair does not cause me to be in a wheelchair world. We are all part of -one- multi cultural world.

so the point you're trying to make is...

that all white hearies must die?

No, that is not what I meant, the point is that they trying to hurt us as if they are trying to get what they want us to do to be like them. All I see is that the hearing "experts" including the hearing parents want to change us to be like them no matter what disabilities we have just like jenni-m mentioned on the last paragraph. Like I said before many times on the threads that we all are not perfect in every sense of our abilities to survive in the able body and hearing world. They will have to accept us what we need to survive instead of trying to understand what hearies or able body people say to fix us. We have been battling them for a long time but they refuse to listen to us. This is the same happening to different cultures all over the world and they are suffering in the hand of the government and other people who are not very considering in our needs to be human beings. They have to fight for their rights too like we deafies and hard of hearing people have to fight for our rights to have ASL and our needs. We have to put up with the crap the superior people put us through. We can not make them understand our feelings through their heads. Sorry for the Blunt, but that is how I feel when I am not getting my rights as a Deaf person. I don't know if you understand what I am saying. :(

It would be wonderful if we have a Deaf World instead of Hearing World unless the hearing people who are interest in ASL and not try to change us to please them and not to try to fix us. They are welcome to our Deaf World and can meet halfway or all the way to communicate with us Deafies/HOH. I know that is a dream and I am dreaming that I can be who I want to be and not look down at me and I feel free to use ASL for myself and the deaf babies and deaf children. The hearing world is telling us NO to ASL and to use voice, and lipread. :(

It would be wonderful if we have a Deaf World instead of Hearing World unless the hearing people who are interest in ASL and not try to change us to please them and not to try to fix us. They are welcome to our Deaf World and can meet halfway or all the way to communicate with us Deafies/HOH. I know that is a dream and I am dreaming that I can be who I want to be and not look down at me and I feel free to use ASL for myself and the deaf babies and deaf children. The hearing world is telling us NO to ASL and to use voice, and lipread. :(

what bothers me is your use of pronouns

you say "they"

they trying to hurt us as if they are trying to get what they want us to do to be like them

They just want to make us suffer

and it sounds like you're talking about all hearies. that's called stereotyping.

and you say "we"

It would be wonderful if we have a Deaf World instead of Hearing World

do you mean all deaf people or "we" as in everybody on Earth? hearing people don't want to be in a Deaf World. it's one thing to have deaf friends and whatever, it's another to become deaf and be completely immersed in Deaf life. hearies can respect the deaf without wanting to live exactly like them or wanting to make the deaf live like then.

hearing people, as the majority, want people to conform to them, not vice versa. most Southern Californians resent the fact that many services and many of our signs and pamphlets and whatnot are in both english and spanish. they think, "this is america! you have to learn our language!"

hearing people are the same. if 500 people in a town of 100,000 are deaf, the hearies would want the deafies to do everything they could to communicate verbally. just look at the numbers; 500 people learning to lipread and speak versus 99,500 learning ASL. it seems to me that the biggest obstacle to being deaf is just coping with this simple mathematical fact and the mentality associated with it.

it sounds like you should move to Martha's Vineyard.

Okay, you win and you think I am complaining about how I have to put up with the hearing society. You make a good point anyway. The hearing population is overcoming our Deaf culture, our Deaf community and ASL. If the hearing people want us to be like them to hear and to fix us with CI plus to talk and lipread one hundred percent. Then it is a losing battle which I hate that.

As for Martha's Vineyard, I have never been there or in New York City including the New York State either. I don't know what the Deaf town look like. What I am trying to say is that we Deafies would like to keep our Deaf Culture and ASL along with mainstreaming in elementary school, high school plus being able to communicate with other Deaf and hard of hearing people. If you are hearing, you don't know what is like to be Deaf at all. But if you are hard of hearing or Deaf, you will be able to understand why it is sooo difficult to try to understand and not being able to use ASL especially family members who prefer to have us speak and lipread without ASL. They are depriving our right to use ASL for visual purposes.

Now I am typing in my fourth post and I guess I could not define what one want to be in the Hearing World and another want to be in the Deaf World or vice versa. :ugh: I want to be in the Deaf World because I am comfortable being socialize with D/HOH people and easy on my eyes to communicate with ASL. That is all I have to say. :( and also :mad:

i can understand complete strangers, i.e. society at large, wanting deafies to lipread and talk to them, but i would think family members would be more understanding.

you should just sign to them anyway. if they don't understand...too bad for them.

tee hee!

i am in middle of both worlds, hearing friends and family but only have 2 laten hoh family members and some of deaf friends

i always see 2 worlds the same no matter.

living between worlds is the best place to be.

be it Christian and Muslim, Deaf and Hearing, Straight and Gay, or whatever

living as a synthesis of two or more totally different things makes us complex and interesting.

One world. We're all in it. It's time we stop the division of hearing/deaf and learn how to live and work together. ;)

Agree with that statment. We are already in that one world. So deaf and hearing world wouldn't make any different. It just world we live in either deaf or hearing. :) But good statment.

Just out of habit when my deaf friends and I talk about both communities that we call it the Deaf world or the hearing world. We never really think too deeply about the term "world". I think it is used loosely most of the time within the Deaf community.

Just out of habit when my deaf friends and I talk about both communities that we call it the Deaf world or the hearing world. We never really think too deeply about the term "world". I think it is used loosely most of the time within the Deaf community.

Yes, we are so use to being Deaf and communicate with the Deaf communities that we are comfortable to be in the Deaf world than to be in the Hearing world.

Of course, we have to deal with the hearing world that it is not comfortable for us because we have to struggle and trying to understand hearies. It is just hard for us trying to please the hearing people and be like them. The word "world" is that we are deaf in our Deaf world only. There are some of the Hard of Hearing people who have mild to severe hearing loss who might be comfortable in the hearing world and I think they are happy to be in their Hearing worldbecause they like to hear the sound of music and trying to listen to people on television without caption(ugh, lipreading is not that easy, otherwise Sue Thomas who use her skill in lipreading in her career on the law enforcement FBI had to read lips perfectly which I think it is a grog or baloney). If HOH can lipread one hundred per cent which indicate that HOH can hear pretty good along with lipreading. Being in the Deaf world is a lot better than Hearing world. Everyone is different in their preference of which worlds you want to be in like Hearing planet or Deaf planet. It would be nice if both hearing and HOH signs and let us Deafies be who we are without pressure to get us fix. :roll:

Back