Deaf World or Hearing World?

nah theres a split, hearing and deaf worlds, the hearing world is crushing down the deaf world where deaf people wallows in fear and slithering away into the deaf clubs.
everything in the hearing society is the hearing world, they speak, hear and thinking in spoken words......even have noisy dreams in their sleeps , we deaf? woouldnt dream like that for starters.

and nor are we actually a full member in the hearing world, i doubt it. its hidden and and lies in the heart of deaf persons, when each bond together the influx of worlds creates an atmosphere that is visable, also tangible which is the deaf world, oh for those with a politically correct bend, Deaf world.

Last edited:
"world" does not necessarily mean the planet. It also means group that you share your experiences with.

That matches the definition for "Deaf World"... where deaf people share their experiences with other deaf people.

Nods, I'd certainly agree with that. During my days at VSDB, Deaf used to refer to Deaf culture (this was before the Deaf pride movement) as the Deaf World and the hearing culture as the Hearing world. I've always thought the ASL phrase "Deaf World" had this definition in mind.

I dunno if you guys went to show last year Two Worlds. Deaf Opera in Pensacola. But uh.. it means society in my opinion. Lol....

nah theres a split, hearing and deaf worlds, the hearing world is crushing down the deaf world where deaf people wallows in fear and slithering away into the deaf clubs.
everything in the hearing society is the hearing world, they speak, hear and thinking in spoken words......even have noisy dreams in their sleeps , we deaf? woouldnt dream like that for starters.

and nor are we actually a full member in the hearing world, i doubt it. its hidden and and lies in the heart of deaf persons, when each bond together the influx of worlds creates an atmosphere that is visable, also tangible which is the deaf world, oh for those with a politically correct bend, Deaf world.

:gpost: :ty:

It still al boils down to a matter of personal choice in the end. I have lived for so long in the "hearing world" that I doubt I could fit in in the "deaf world". Talking with a few deaf people I have met it sounds like I would be shunned in the deaf world as well due to my speech and living in the deaf world. Oh well, its all just shades of gray anyway

I'm making my own world! The only people who will be excluded are arrogant self-involved jerks who feel their time is to valuable to understand others. pfft to them.

One world, multiple facets and sub cultures.

We are ALL completely equal in one way:
Each one of us alone is like an insignificant mote of dust compared to the universe. Not even a blink in the passage of all time.

But yet human life still has value. Life is one of our greatest treasures. It does not matter that we are so tiny, we overcome that by having thought, and emotion, and when we work together... we can accomplish things much greater than one could alone.

None of us are perfect, perfection cannot be achieved... but every time we make progress, we come closer to it.

It is so easy for people to get caught up in themselves, and not see what really goes on with others. I too have this problem. But really, life is too short to fight about things needlessly. The average person spends a third of their life sleeping, and close to another third working (some people have to spend a lot more just trying to survive)

When we spend time doing something to hurt someone, that is one less positive thing we could have done in life. We cannot get that time back again, ever. It also takes up that other persons time, giving them another negative experience they would rather not have had.

But anyway, to answer the question:

Personally, while it is nice to communicate with others who I can relate to, I do not intentionally place myself in any sub culture. Being deaf does not cause me to be in a deaf world. Blindness does not cause me to be in a blind world. Using a wheelchair does not cause me to be in a wheelchair world. We are all part of -one- multi cultural world.

:shock::gpost:

People, deaf, blindness and other disabilities feel like they are are alone in the world, trapped in their own "world" thinking there is no one out there like them, but there is. Of course we live in the same planet, but different, societies, cultures and races but it doesn't mean they are any different from us. We are equal and our world is one. We are all part of this planet. Like jenni say, none of us are perfect, perfection cannot be achieved. I treat them equally. But nonetheless we can't change the world's societies and cultures. We are only humans after all...To each his own...

Last edited:
Because I've so recently lost the last of my hearing, I'm having a rather unique (to me) experience recently, noticing thoughts and experiences I never would have thought of had my hearing loss been more gradual or non-existent. Entering this new world, and though I don't agree with the dictionary definition of the word "world," it's exactly like dropping off onto an alien planet, I find that it's comparatively loaded with telepathic people! My parents have conversations through walls and around corners. My mom is aware of my dad's activities when he's outside in the yard and she's at the dining room table with no view of the yard. These are abilities that don't exist in my world. To me, this is my first glimpse at how it's possible for our worlds to have grown different from each other. I find that I crave the company of other deaf people who do not have these strange alien abilities, this extra sense that's as inconceivable as a fourth spatial dimension. Sometimes, I would just rather not be reminded that others have these strange abilities that I have not. It's clear to me that I do not belong to their world. However, our two worlds can still be supportive of each other, and there need not be a conflict between them.

Back