Deaf Woman's Dog Gets No Respect

DJGrace

Reaction score
Deaf woman?s dog gets no respect

I read this article this morning and thought I would share it here. The STO is the Quebec buses that run through downtown Ottawa because Gatineau is so close to us. OC Transpo is the Ottawa busline. Hopefully from this incident, more awareness will be created.

poor women. Too bad she's not in America, she could get them in big trouble if someone pulled that here

Like DJGrace, hopefully more awareness will happen after this.

The lady can sue here as well as there are laws protecting her rights here as well for the dog since it's a certified hearing dog

Crap I wrote a reply and forgot to post...

Ok here goes, it is common that a lot of people don't recognize small dogs as service dogs. Most people have been educated to understand that a service dog is only for the blind, and a golden retriever with a harness. It is what it is for now. I don't agree with how the bus driver handled it though. There is an older gentleman that always eats at my family's downtown location Subway and he has a small Pomeranian as his service/therapy dog. People always think that she's just his lil pet that sits on his lap in his motorized wheelchair. Before I became friends with them, I assumed the same thing about Sandy, that she was just a cute pet. Of course, he explained everything to me, so that's how I learned. He's told me before about how people have tried to make a stink about her etc. I think locally we had an article about another man in a wheelchair with a small service dog have issues with restaurants not allowing them to dine in, I think it happened last summer.

The real thing to look forward to is education and the recognition of small service dogs.

WTF? I am 5th generation deaf, and my family, and I do not need a service dog.
I think BUS driver is correct. Deaf people do not need a service dog.
Deaf people with bad vision/usher syndrome/lack of balance/or additional disability with a service dog would make sense to me completely.

Just because in your country a lot of things provided to you doesn't mean in our country or province they are...maybe the woman can't afford things in her house to alert her. Maybe she can't afford hearing aids etc. No one gives a damn about your 5th generation deafness ...this lady needs a dog to help her so be it.
And the Bus drive was NOT correct seeing as its LAW and if its law then obviously OTHER people think that she was deemed in need of a dog to help her. Furthermore, just because it did not state in the article that she didn't have any other secondary disabilities doesn't mean she doesn't maybe she does but it wasn't mentioned..either way I think if she really needs a dog let her have it it. There are members online here who have hearing dogs..would you like to bash them too authentic?

WTF? I am 5th generation deaf, and my family, and I do not need a service dog.
I think BUS driver is correct. Deaf people do not need a service dog.
Deaf people with bad vision/usher syndrome/lack of balance/or additional disability with a service dog would make sense to me completely.

That is merely your opinion. I don't need a service dog, either; however, there are already laws on the books that allow for service dogs. Legally speaking only, the bus driver was not correct; he was just not educated.

Back