deaf with hearing partner

I find it very difficult as much as my wife and I try its hard work, she is hearing and forgets that Im Totally Deaf, Worst time is when there is 3 or more people in sitting room, Its so hard to get a word in, or understand what they on about.

As hand are moving, heads move, im continously coming in when I think I got what they talking about, but 9 times out of 10 Im wrong :-(

Yes its hard going, and being honest I do get fed up lip reading, its like reading a book 24/7 and we all when you read books its relaxing and we tired? but I find my wife IS my ears she can finger spell little as her spelling isnt good either..Well there you have it we just get on best we can.

Well, I'm not married, but if I was in your position I would be divorced. I would never call my significant other stupid. I just don't think it is respectful. That is not to say I wouldn't say she did something stupid, but to classify someone you are married to as stupid is a deal breaker for me. I know, this is an extreme view, but I wouldn't be with someone who did those things. I have broken up with women of my hearing situation because I felt they could not handle it.

I can't say I have a lot of people in my life, but those I let in treat me right.

Good luck..

I find it very difficult as much as my wife and I try its hard work, she is hearing and forgets that Im Totally Deaf, Worst time is when there is 3 or more people in sitting room, Its so hard to get a word in, or understand what they on about.

As hand are moving, heads move, im continously coming in when I think I got what they talking about, but 9 times out of 10 Im wrong :-(

Yes its hard going, and being honest I do get fed up lip reading, its like reading a book 24/7 and we all when you read books its relaxing and we tired? but I find my wife IS my ears she can finger spell little as her spelling isnt good either..Well there you have it we just get on best we can.

This is a different situation. I understand that in my position I am not going to hear well in big groups. Because of this, I really don't care when other people, in groups are talking, those conversations mean nothing to me because I cannot change the situation where I cannot hear. I know I speak out of turn, but that doesn't bother me. If someone calls me on it, I explain my position.

I would hope that my wife, if I had one, would relay the conversation to me, but it wouldn't bother me if she didn't. I've lived long enough without hearing those conversations and know it will not kill me if I don't.

hiyi

This is a different situation. I understand that in my position I am not going to hear well in big groups. Because of this, I really don't care when other people, in groups are talking, those conversations mean nothing to me because I cannot change the situation where I cannot hear. I know I speak out of turn, but that doesn't bother me. If someone calls me on it, I explain my position.

I would hope that my wife, if I had one, would relay the conversation to me, but it wouldn't bother me if she didn't. I've lived long enough without hearing those conversations and know it will not kill me if I don't.

Oh she tries her best, cant fault that, she came to a place with me called LINK its to help people get confidence back after losing hearing etc and help families, but being there I was only Totally Deaf there, rest were H.O.H hearing aids etc..I err dont fancy Divorce after 40 years lol..Ive always been outspoken and I guess Im not liking being left out, I always wanna know lol..

But like I say we just get on. but its hard going wherever I go, you know everyones wrong but me haha.

Oh she tries her best, cant fault that, she came to a place with me called LINK its to help people get confidence back after losing hearing etc and help families, but being there I was only Totally Deaf there, rest were H.O.H hearing aids etc..I err dont fancy Divorce after 40 years lol..Ive always been outspoken and I guess Im not liking being left out, I always wanna know lol..

But like I say we just get on. but its hard going wherever I go, you know everyones wrong but me haha.

You're lucky. Most of the time, family does not make an effort.

I think, in the OP's case, she needs to look hard at her situation.

I remember I went to a late defended event once. I was hoping to meet other people who were HOH even though I was not late deafened(HOH since birth). The entire crowd was made up of people over 70 years old, the people were nice, but it wasn't my thing at the time(I was early 20's).

In your case, there are, literally, a lot less totally deaf than there are HOH so I can relate, but in our group we are not organized.

Back