Deaf wannabe!!!!!!!!!!!! So bad

She hasn't been labeled as deaf ever. HA's will only make the "fuzzy" sound louder, not clear it up.

She does quite well. Her speech is not good, but that due to her not hearing things right. She had 9 years of speech therapy, both in public school and in an outside clinic. They got her talking enough for SSI to stop her payments, but it still isn't real clear. If she takes her time and is thinking about what she is saying, then she gets her diction correct about 50% of the time. Mostly her diction is at about 20-25%. We can deal with it. I look at it as , this is the way G_D must have intended her to be since her therapy "didn't stick" so that's the way she is. She's a happy well adjusted 16 y/o.

I'm glad she does well and I'm glad that you replied thanks
Thats good that her speech has improved and yes G_D creates us all unique and for a reason the way we are.

I do know that in my case, I have a lot of people who think I am faking my hearing loss. They think that because I do somewhat well reading lips and can follow one-on-one conversations, that I have no hearing loss. My MIL is the worst at thinking I am faking it, but ah well - I know the truth. Have had numerous tests and exams, I have no ear drums, and now other parts are not working. When doing an audiogram, I hear nothing.

I do know that in my case, I have a lot of people who think I am faking my hearing loss. They think that because I do somewhat well reading lips and can follow one-on-one conversations, that I have no hearing loss. My MIL is the worst at thinking I am faking it, but ah well - I know the truth. Have had numerous tests and exams, I have no ear drums, and now other parts are not working. When doing an audiogram, I hear nothing.

if you have no ear drums thats TOTALLY not faking
and i know many people who read lips and follow convos its okay some people are just better at it than others

are people with CAPD labeled deaf if they have no hearing loss that is interesting many people recently on Alldeaf have brought up CAPD?....do hearing aids or FM's help her? wish the best for you both

fm work ok for me but not everyone with capd or apd can benefit from fms

I know a person who fakes being deaf as well. But I know that this person really needs help and I hope they find it some day. I know this person suffers very much. Saying that they are deaf when they are not is a cry for help for sure.

Being called a fake:

Interesting:

As I understand it CODA's go through a period when they believe their parents are just pretending to be Deaf and are secretly listening in on every word.

I also know English speakers who are convinced every Mexican in the world can understand English perfectly if they want to. True once in a while you will meet a Mexican who pretends not to understand English when they really do it happens very rarely.

And of course the only way to truly understand the situation D/deaf people face on a daily basis is to go to a strange town and do nothing but sign. I remember an instructor who recommended this "research" to everyone who wanted to interact with D/deaf people.

I know a person who fakes being deaf as well. But I know that this person really needs help and I hope they find it some day. I know this person suffers very much. Saying that they are deaf when they are not is a cry for help for sure.

how do you know? i think on this board they are trying to find out how the people accusing others of being fake deaf know For suRE they are faking?
well at least thats what they asked me how i knew the person was faking unless they told me

This could get layered out of sight.

In some ways I am more Deaf than hearing but I am certainly not deaf.

And over the years I have suffered just enough hearing loss I could call myself HOH.

Okay, I've just confused myself and my senility is showing.

This could get layered out of sight.

In some ways I am more Deaf than hearing but I am certainly not deaf.

And over the years I have suffered just enough hearing loss I could call myself HOH.

Okay, I've just confused myself and my senility is showing.

Berry, there is nothing to worry about. We are talking about people who actually can hear, but pretend they can't. If someone came up to them and say "Hi", they heard it but choose to ignore it because they really want to see themselves as deaf ... I guess? I think it might be a mental disorder because They are lying to themselves and others by pretending to be deaf. The tricky part is, does she have auditory processing disorder? Does she have really have some hearing loss? Does she really struggle. we can't answer without seeming like we are judging her so it is best to leave it alone and hope the doctors will straighten the issues with her.

At the same time, maybe some people do have a deaf soul in them. Should they be allowed to be deaf? It would be interesting if they did find a cure for deafness, cured a deaf baby, and that baby grows up thinking he deaf and want to be deaf.

some stuff found online... is it wannabe?

Berry, there is nothing to worry about. We are talking about people who actually can hear, but pretend they can't. If someone came up to them and say "Hi", they heard it but choose to ignore it because they really want to see themselves as deaf ... I guess? I think it might be a mental disorder because They are lying to themselves and others by pretending to be deaf. The tricky part is, does she have auditory processing disorder? Does she have really have some hearing loss? Does she really struggle. we can't answer without seeming like we are judging her so it is best to leave it alone and hope the doctors will straighten the issues with her.

At the same time, maybe some people do have a deaf soul in them. Should they be allowed to be deaf? It would be interesting if they did find a cure for deafness, cured a deaf baby, and that baby grows up thinking he deaf and want to be deaf.

I am putting a disclaimer here first! I am NOT professional mental health. I can not give details or anything this is the short version of what few details I have found online. (recently found out I do have loss due to mitochondrial disease and have to have a CT scan tomorrow for more answers to even more questions) I have just been looking up a lot of things lately.

There are people who loose hearing physically and have no actual damage to their ears or hearing organs. They do not fall under CAPD or APD. These physical symptoms are due to somatic (lasts for several years) or conversion symptoms. They are involuntary and caused by psychiatric illnesses protecting the mind from perceived truama or stress. There is not a whole lot online about them but they can be found. I guess treatment is with medication as Jillio has helped discuss and cognitive behavioral therapies. Many of the patients have trouble believing it is mental health as the origin of problem and therefor are very hard to get proper help. But they literally can not hear. So I am not sure if it would fall under "wannabe"?

Or maybe simply a soul of a different culture.

There are hearing cultures which are very much like Deaf American culture. For instance culturally Deaf Americans tend to be high context in their thinking. English speaking hearing people are extremely low context. The differences show in the difference between ASL and English -- Which is why some hearies just can't grasp the concept of ASL grammar.

So any high context person in our low context world will find affinity with Deaf Culture.

I am a Psychotherapist....I do enjoy my work. I do end up helping those who are seeking support and are deaf or hard of hearing. It is sporatic though.

There is a difference in behavior with those who are deaf and those who fake it. Those who fake it at some point or another, get tired of the constant "faking it" and answer in situations in which a deaf person never could have answered or understood what was going on. The person I spoke about I've known for quite sometime. This person has responded to my questions correctly with her back to me or with her head stuck in the refridge while I was speaking and responded correctly to the topic of conversation. This happened many times while interacting with this person. I've had interpreters who have told me they refuse to interpret for this person. They have caught the person taking notes in conferences without looking at the interpreter. Now...I'm not understanding the interpreter's reactions. I believe this person is hard of hearing, but no where close to being deaf. This person responds when not looking at the speaker or responds from being in another room or behind objects. That is certainly not being deaf. I can see how this person might not want to deal with explaining about their hearing and what they need. So they take the short cut and just say, I'm deaf. But to a certain point, I feel a bit taken a back with the extreme position of being deaf.

I am deaf but use cochlear implants. If a person has their back to me, I have no idea what they said. I hear mumbling, but nothing else. The sound goes elsewhere and not towards my implants. If a person is behind an object, same thing.

Anyway...interesting topic.

about the person understand without looking, I think it also depends on the words. If a person is profound deaf but can benefit from HA, There are words that is very recognizable without looking. But softer words are difficult without speechreading so you have to be careful not to judge the level of a person's hearing because he is not looking.

When I was going to Mass Rehab. years ago my case worker wanted me to see a Mass Rehab doctor. When I saw the Dr. the first thing he said to me was "you're not deaf!" I said " I never said I was deaf , my case worker told you that!" I have run into this a lot people will call me deaf when I am HOH! Some hearing prople do not know the difference ! I had to tell people that I am not deaf ,but they see my HA and still think I am deaf!

Psychologists and Doctors really need to understand audiograms and how Hearing Aids/Cochlear work differently for different level of hearing at different ages. They need to understand how listening with hearing aids work for deaf people who were born deaf. they also need to know how oralism, lipreading, etc work for people who was in the program from early years. They need to know all this before they go around saying "you're not deaf"

Psychologists and Doctors really need to understand audiograms and how Hearing Aids/Cochlear work differently for different level of hearing at different ages. They need to understand how listening with hearing aids work for deaf people who were born deaf. they also need to know how oralism, lipreading, etc work for people who was in the program from early years. They need to know all this before they go around saying "you're not deaf"

A Doctor I saw when I was younger , this was in the 60's , told me if I can't hear a knock on door that would mean I am deaf , if I can hear the sound I am not a a good candidate for surgery to hear better. There was a 50/50 change of losing the hearing I did have! Someone saw this Dr, and had surgery and was able to hear better , I have a nerve damage hearing loss the guy did not. and when to one Dr , for my hearing and he wanted to know if I was wearing a bra!! I did not know my breasts had anything to do with my hearing!!

TO ALLLLLL I AM VERY SUPRISED ABOUT THIS!!! lol @ the person who said theyd get tired of faking it....@ the person who says is psyhological ive never heard of that,........@ all i was talking about the people who arent hard of hearing or deaf AT ALL. not the ones who could be hoh and just say they are deaf, ones who are completely hearing. THANKS for all of your answers. This person does answer me without looking though but @ A you said that it's possible its all fine though I belive in G_D and he will handle them. HAVE a good day all!!!! :ty:

Capd

as i can see on this board too there are many posts about CAPD>...so these people go through expensive test and past the OAEs.....ABRS....and beeping test just to get the diagnosis wow.....that has to be expensive a and hard. I've heard of a lady and her son going from doctor to doctor and everyone denying him calling him ADD but in reality the Audi said he was usual and ened up having CAPD from a speech pathologist...the brain is sooooo powerful

Back