Deaf Wanna-Be's

afifan91

Reaction score
What do you think about them? Has anyone ever met one on here or elsewhere? I find them disgusting. I feel like they are making a joke out of the Deaf community...

Reading this, deaf wanna-be sounds like a form of Munchhausen (munch-how-sen) Biproxy... which actually is a documented illness.

No, not at all by proxy, and I think not just Munchhausen either.

I think it is body dysmorphic disorder, if I remember from the psychologist's input there.

Body dysmorphic... Didn't think about that.. Wow

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

depression,they dont want contact with people

In all fairness, not wanting contact with people could describe half of those on this forum. We probably spend more time here than interacting with family and those around us.

Laura

What is a deaf wanna-be?

Nevermind. Just read the linked thread. Oh...My.....God....:jaw:

In all fairness, not wanting contact with people could describe half of those on this forum. We probably spend more time here than interacting with family and those around us.

Laura

true,but then many may not have family just want contact outside world or spend time traveling around..many may have communication problems voice...i have friend live here in england his parents dont speak english his first language BSL his parents never learnt it they write and speak in greek he no understand he poor lip reader. he has brother who BSL english/greek that his home life..i lived in east london where large pakistan community and many deaf people isolated in that group,so computer saves their sanity.
i live isolated life since i moved ,my family make no effort talk to me so cyber world can communicate with other in similar situations...

How do you define a "wanna be"?
Are you willing to draw a line based on ASL knowledge or Deaf culture?
Do you want to define people by their audiograms?

I know that you wouldn't want any of the above "tests" of deafness.
The people who have perfect hearing and "want to be" deaf and pretend to be deaf definitely have problems but
I can see things like this devolving into "deafer than thou" and possibly making someone who needs a community to feel unwelcome.

ecp: I think you would agree this is the minimum standards to be a deaf wannabe. Link here

How do you define a "wanna be"?
Are you willing to draw a line based on ASL knowledge or Deaf culture?
Do you want to define people by their audiograms?

I know that you wouldn't want any of the above "tests" of deafness.
The people who have perfect hearing and "want to be" deaf and pretend to be deaf definitely have problems but
I can see things like this devolving into "deafer than thou" and possibly making someone who needs a community to feel unwelcome.

It was the same for some white people or others who were non-native trying to become Native or American Indian as wanna be. They had no knowledge of our Native Culture and they dressed up the wrong way to dress and also performed differently than we do. There were some in Europe that had white people wanna be as Native. We had some Elders from First Nations came to visit them in Europe. They were very amused at them for mimicked as Indians. I was shocked when I saw the video and could not believe they would do like that.

In wanna be as being deaf, they would not socialize with Deaf people but would like to be in their own group like separate from us. They don't know much about Deaf Culture and ASL that much. Yes, they have a problem of not wanting to be with other hearing people for social functions. Very weird.

Edit: I was trying to find the word for wanna be that are so obsessed with their ears. It is call fetish like ear fetish. :dunno:

As I understand matters-"hearing isn't exactly a conscious voluntary activity" like say speaking.
Haven't -to date- met any "deaf wanna bes".

I acknowledge one can discontinue using their Hearing aid or Cochlear Implant. and revert to "DEAFness" At least in my actual experience when Cochlear Implant disconnected. I am still bilateral DEAF-however.

Last edited:
Back